GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Prospective buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-23, 01:52 PM
lexydood3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prospective buyer questions

So im looking at a GX with roughly 180 on the dash, and im just curious to what type of maintenance i should be expecting. once any car gets up there in mileage, parts tend to wear out. how common are oil leaks and other maintenance areas around this mileage?
Old 07-17-23, 10:13 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't believe oil leaks are common. I have one with 212K or so on the odometer and no leaks other than a low pressure side power steering leak that was easily fixed with a $30 part. At 180K, the timing belt should have probably been changed twice already. If not, then a timing belt/water pump change is due per the maintenance schedule (every 90k miles). Most common issues requiring replacement between 100K and 200K are the radiator, alternator, rear suspension air bags, shocks and struts, SAIS blower (can get a cheap bypass to permanently resolve), maybe front axle rebooting, plugs, front fender liner splash guards and I think that is the basic potential most common repair list. Of course that does not cover the regular maintenance things like, differential oil change, engine oil change, brake pads, brake fluid change, etc.

These cars tend to be very reliable and have low maintenance costs vs. the mileage if taken care of. The best thing is to take the car and get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection).
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (07-19-23)
Old 07-18-23, 12:05 AM
lexydood3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I don't believe oil leaks are common. I have one with 212K or so on the odometer and no leaks other than a low pressure side power steering leak that was easily fixed with a $30 part. At 180K, the timing belt should have probably been changed twice already. If not, then a timing belt/water pump change is due per the maintenance schedule (every 90k miles). Most common issues requiring replacement between 100K and 200K are the radiator, alternator, rear suspension air bags, shocks and struts, SAIS blower (can get a cheap bypass to permanently resolve), maybe front axle rebooting, plugs, front fender liner splash guards and I think that is the basic potential most common repair list. Of course that does not cover the regular maintenance things like, differential oil change, engine oil change, brake pads, brake fluid change, etc.

These cars tend to be very reliable and have low maintenance costs vs. the mileage if taken care of. The best thing is to take the car and get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection).

Awesome. Looks like most of that was taken care of already. Planning to get it inspected in the coming days and we’ll see where that takes us. Thanks for chiming in
Old 07-22-23, 05:39 PM
NickO7
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off-Road Enthusiasts Are Hunting for GX470

The good one is getting harder to find. Be sure to check the followings:
  1. Check for rust. It is the only GX470 weakness!
  2. Never been towed after an accident.
  3. Never been Auctioned. Any Auction history indicates enough people have found something wrong with it. If the vehicle was sold to a dealer in a sparsely populated place with mostly low income population, then an Auction history might be ok.
  4. Timing Belt and Water Pump have been replaced.
  5. The rear Air Bag suspensions are still working. The height of both rear fenders are the same, and the ride is NOT bouncing over rough road.
  6. Check Central Transfer Case Lock is working. Check it by driving slow in Low gears. (Youtube has many videos).
GX470 is in high demand now. This owner said it best: "But here's something I know for sure: a lot GX 470 owners say it's the best vehicle they've ever owned, and that includes a lot of people with unlimited budgets and some real "gear heads" who have driven virtually everything."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-or-gx460.html
The following 2 users liked this post by NickO7:
ASE (08-03-23), Johnny Rad (07-26-23)
Old 07-26-23, 11:26 AM
LeX470JG
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only oil leak I have seen is on the cam seals if not replaced around 200k miles. Also the valve cover seals can dry out and leak in that range also. Both are not that bad to replace. Normally would be a good idea to replace at least at the second timing belt change. Change the coil gaskets in the valve covers also.
The following users liked this post:
ASE (07-26-23)
Old 08-02-23, 02:54 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Is the vehicle all OEM? Is there a list of maintenance items the seller can provide?

GX470 in 2023 would need a bunch of maintenance, or will need it, from radiator to fuses & relays.

Last edited by Lexus4321; 08-03-23 at 02:58 PM.