GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help with Radiator Hose / Hissing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 07:48 PM
mystereons
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with Radiator Hose / Hissing

Hi, so my GX470 had been slightly overheating for awhile, and there's definitely some coolant splatter in the engine compartment. To me it looked like it was coming from the upper radiator hose, so I replaced the hose. I started the car and not only is it still overheating, it's making a loud hissing noise near where the hose connects to the radiator. I used an aftermarket HPS silcone hose (maybe a mistake) with stainless steel clamps that tighten with a bolt. I'm not sure if I over or under-tightened the clamp (instructions said to tighten 15 in-lb which I guess is not very tight). Or maybe I did something incorrectly when I drained or refilled the coolant? When I drained the coolant I opened the radiator cap, and undid the plug in the radiator. I only got about a half gallon out (not sure if that's normal). Then after replacing the hose, I put the radiator cap back on and refilled the reservoir to max. I thought after I drove, some of the coolant would be drawn into the system, but the reservoir level didn't change at all. Another factor is that when I took off the old hose, I slightly chipped the plastic tube that comes out of the top of the radiator where the hose connects. So not sure if that is letting air escape. Any insight into what may be the issue? Thanks!
Old 09-22-23, 08:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

You probably need a new radiator. If possible post some pictures of the rad.
Old 09-23-23, 10:10 AM
mystereons
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You probably need a new radiator. If possible post some pictures of the rad.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

These are the pics I have at the moment. Not sure if that helps at all?

Old 09-25-23, 05:19 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

The common place for the radiator to leak is at the metal claws between the aluminum body and plastic end-caps. Look along both sides for signs of red crystals (dried coolant)
I see some at the top in your photos, but that might have been from you changing the hose.

Chip H.
Old 09-26-23, 05:41 PM
mystereons
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
The common place for the radiator to leak is at the metal claws between the aluminum body and plastic end-caps. Look along both sides for signs of red crystals (dried coolant)
I see some at the top in your photos, but that might have been from you changing the hose.

Chip H.
Thank you! I will look closer. Before I swapped the hose, I think it was coming out near where the upper radiator hose attaches to the radiator. I was hoping it was the hose, but maybe it is actually the radiator. Thanks
Old 09-26-23, 08:56 PM
mystereons
Rookie

I haven’t looked at the radiator yet (will tomorrow), but I have another question. After I drained the radiator and refilled the reservoir, should I have purged air from the system? If so, is there a post with a how-to? Thanks!
Old 09-27-23, 01:51 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

The system is pretty much self-purging, but it may take a couple of days to get all the air out. You will likely need about a quarter-jug of Toyota pre-mix coolant to top it up.
Put it in the overflow bottle and fill to the appropriate line (hot/cold), then check again after driving it the next day (needs time to cool down to suck in the coolant from the bottle)

Chip H.
Old 09-28-23, 08:52 AM
mystereons
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
The system is pretty much self-purging, but it may take a couple of days to get all the air out. You will likely need about a quarter-jug of Toyota pre-mix coolant to top it up.
Put it in the overflow bottle and fill to the appropriate line (hot/cold), then check again after driving it the next day (needs time to cool down to suck in the coolant from the bottle)

Chip H.
Ok thanks!