GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2007 GX470 Service/Repair Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 06:14 PM
Gertrude2007
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GX470 Service/Repair Guidance

Hi everyone!

I purchased my 2007 GX470 back in December with ~216,000mi for $8,250.

The old girl is about to hit 220k, so I took her in for her 5,000mi service (I guess its also due for its 30,000mi service).

I went to a reputable (from what I can tell) shop here in South Florida. However, I am an admitted novice when it comes to cars. So, I am turning to you guys for a bit of support.
My main goal here is to toss their report out here on the internet (you may see it in other forums in which I frequent) with the following in mind:
  • to see what is absolutely mission critical
  • guidance on what i should expect to pay, especially if anyone can chime in on how many hours shops generally bill for the different service items
  • what kind of shop rate I should expect from a good shop (I’m on the eastern coast of South Florida for reference)
  • if there are other options or ways of addressing these issues brought up by the shop (for example: springs instead of airbags; just doing a lift instead of some of the other repairs, ordering my own parts, remanufactured parts etc).
As I know it will be mentioned, I’m aware many people here are very adept and comfortable doing their own work. I very much am not, haha. So I’m going to leave all of this to the pros (unless it’s comically easy and you live in SoFlo and want to walk me through it - haha).

In my mind, the most critical items are (* below):
  • Brakes - estimated cost - $770.03
  • Wheel Bearing - $931.45
  • Rear Suspension/Air Bags - $1,703
I will post all the info/pics they gave me in hopes of facilitating discussion and learning as much as I can. Hopefully, it benefits others as well!
Thanks in advance!

*It looks like I cant post images inline - so please follow the link to the Imgur album HERE

In Album:
  • First, you will find the invoice for the 5k mile + A/C Service (which I did): Total: $456.18
  • Next, you will find estimates for the items I have not done:
    • 30,000mi Service - (cost: $429)
    • Radiator Hoses, Thermostat, and Coolant - (cost $994.95)
    • *Brakes - (cost $770)
    • Front Suspension - (cost $2,110.86)
    • * Rear Air Bags (Rear Suspension) - (cost $1,703)
      • They came back to me and said that they could do springs for $1,100
    • TCASE/ DIFF - (cost - $443.84)
    • *Wheel Bearing (cost $931)
      • See photos in Front Suspension Category
    • Finally, additional images/info provided by the shop
Old 05-26-24, 04:16 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default YouTube is you friend

You can learn to do brakes and basic service. That alone will save a lot of money over the years!

Rear main needs addressed for sure.But use common sense, How bad is it really dripping ?

When was the Timing and Water pump kit done last? That’s critical, you’re gonna see a lot about that here.

Fix the wheel bearing issues before suspension work.

You’re gonna discover the clunk and get the GX460 driveshaft. Has new universals on it so it saves that service later.

A good lift is gonna cost money. I did the Bilstien 4600 4Runner shocks with stock springs up front and the Arnott Rear coil conversion kit with 4600’s as well in the back. Which is a lot cheaper than replacing air springs and related components! Did all that front and rear with spring conversion for way under what you have been quoted.

You can change your oil and filter as well if you have a place to do it. I’m liking Valvoline Advanced or High Mileage synthetic right now from Walmart.

I YouTubed AC/Pro a couple of years ago and it’s still ice cold.

RockAuto premium brake rotors and pads and you will really comprehend how much you could save.

Of the differentials and Transfer case are not leaking , that can wait.

Last edited by MDSteamer; 05-26-24 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Unfinished
Old 05-27-24, 01:41 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

Check the radiator hoses yourself - wait for the engine to cool then see if you can squeeze them. If you can (and there are no obvious leaks/cuts/etc.), they're still good. I'm still on my factory originals, 20 years later.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years in South Florida (since you're near the ocean/gulf). It absorbs moisture from the air and will eventually cause the internal parts to rust and in extreme cases, you won't be able to stop. Any good quality commercial DOT-3 fluid is fine (no need for OEM or expensive "race" fluid)

Change brake rotors and pads as needed. You can buy them at Rock Auto or the dealer - just don't get the cheap ones. Do mid-priced and up.

Engine air filter and cabin air filter are DIY items (I get them from Amazon). All you need for the engine filter is a tool to pop the pins on the plastic covers. For the cabin air filter you will be removing the glovebox - squeeze the sides, remove the cord for the shock, pivot it down (watch it dump everything out because you forgot to empty it first..) The filter is behind a white rectangular cover with end clips. Hooking the cord for the shock back on is a pain - just realize the plastic end goes OVER the screw.

The stabilizer links can also be bought at Rock Auto or the dealer. Look under the car to find out which ones need replacing (there's one per corner - they connect the swaybar to the control arms)

Wheel bearing - get the OEM part. Any mechanic can replace it.

Front struts - see if they're really leaking. The OEM have the adjustable valving (controlled by the comfort-sport rotary switch on the console) and they're expensive. If you don't care about that feature you can go with aftermarket struts. If you're going to put a lift on, do this at the same time to save on labor.

Rear air springs - if you're riding on the bump stops, don't delay getting them replaced. Or go with steel springs and aftermarket shocks. Reasons to keep the air springs are that you tow (they do leveling) and you like the ride of them. You can go OEM or aftermarket with Arnott. Don't get the cheap Chinese ones.

Differential and transfer case fluids are normally done as part of the 4x4 service every 30k miles (Lexus says 15k, which is fine if you off-road). You don't need OEM fluids for this - they just need to be good quality commercial brands that meet the spec (GL5 or 75w-90). No need for high-priced fluids either. Something like a Mobil1 or Castrol is fine.

TPMS sensors - The 470 unfortunately uses the expensive ones ($75 each). Get Denso brand, and replace them the next time you buy tires. Other brands can have difficulties being registered to the computer.

Chip H.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiph9:
MDSteamer (06-01-24), RPH74 (06-26-24)
Old 06-24-24, 09:43 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Smile

How is your GX coming along? What have you had done so far?
As others have stated, a lot of these items you can do DIY and safe a lot of money! Remember, your $8k GX will not be worth $12k after you spend all that money on maintenance done at the shop. It will still be a $8k GX, so it will be best for your wallet to complete as many items DIY as possible.
Here is a quick power steering fluid refresh you can do:
Old 06-26-24, 12:02 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSteamer

You’re gonna discover the clunk and get the GX460 driveshaft. Has new universals on it so it saves that service later.
Is the 460 shaft any different than the 470 shaft? Is this OEM diff only?
I see Cardone sells driveshaft that is a 460/470 item.
My 470 should get a new driveshaft considering the OEM one ran 265kmi.
OEM, Cardone, other brand to look at, which one is quality?
Old 06-27-24, 04:42 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

The online parts sources say that the 37110-60A40 prop shaft (rear driveshaft) fits GX's up to model year 2020

Dealer price is $450, online price is about $325 (you will need to consider shipping costs on such a large/awkward part)

Note that the OEM part comes with the spiders and bearings, so it is just a bolt-it-up install (and then grease the zerks)

Chip H.