GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX is Best Pick in IIHS crash test

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 07:55 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking GX is Best Pick in IIHS crash test

My wife and I are huge safety freaks because we're both psychiatrists and see alcoholics all day long, so we know how likely you are to get killed by one of these fools. That was the reason we leased a BMW X5 a couple of years ago. We went on faith in Lexus that the GX would hold up the standards of safety that all the other Lexus models maintain.

The GX finished 2nd behind the Volvo XC90 Vault, and ahead of our X5. I'm happy.
Old 12-12-03, 02:01 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

This is the offset crash,

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle.../html/0309.htm

you would walk long as an 18 wheeler or a plane does not land on you
Old 12-12-03, 10:46 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default What about LX?

I know this is the GX forum but since we were on the topic of crash tests I thought I would throw this in. I'm planning on getting a new LX, but I can't find any reports of crash tests on it. But it looks like the GX did awesome. Any ideas or comments on the safety of an LX?
Old 12-12-03, 12:58 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Default re: LX safety

Seems like most of the large SUVs (Expeditions/Escalades, Land Cruisers, etc...) don't ever get crashed by the IIHS. Not sure why. I don't think I would have any concerns about an LX and safety given the crash ratings for the GX and RX as well as all of the Lexus Sedans. It's always nice to see it though. I had considered the Infiniti FX earlier this year but was hesitant because it hadn't been crashed yet. I'm glad it turned out to do well, but I'm also glad I waited for the GX.
Old 12-12-03, 09:35 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: re: LX safety

Originally posted by jacksonian
Seems like most of the large SUVs (Expeditions/Escalades, Land Cruisers, etc...) don't ever get crashed by the IIHS. Not sure why. I don't think I would have any concerns about an LX and safety given the crash ratings for the GX and RX as well as all of the Lexus Sedans. It's always nice to see it though. I had considered the Infiniti FX earlier this year but was hesitant because it hadn't been crashed yet. I'm glad it turned out to do well, but I'm also glad I waited for the GX.
Sometimes Nissan/Infiniti crash test make me raise an eyebrow... it seems as though I remember several times when they have to re-test them after they make an "update." It always seems like there's something wrong with the airbag...
Old 12-13-03, 10:18 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

The Murano had to have its airbag timer reset, but I also believe a couple of other non-Nissan vehicles did also.
Old 12-13-03, 12:18 PM
brent0226
Driver

The Murano had to have its airbag timer reset, but I also believe a couple of other non-Nissan vehicles did also.
Yeah but I also remember the Altima, I think XTerra, and a few other Nissan/Infiniti models I've seen have been the same way...
Old 12-13-03, 05:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

So the crash test found some weak points in a few models that had to issue recalls to reset the air bags to deploy faster, they also had to reset the airbags on the Honda Pilot.

Airbags are great and all but my fathers friend crashed his ES300 and needed 10k worth of caps replaced in his mouth cause he hit the wheel with his face, the airbag never went off, car got rear ended between 2 dump truck, he was pissed his airbags did not go off and save his caps but everyone at the Lexus dealer said it was the build quality that allowed you to walk away so what the airbags did not go off, he now has an 02 ES to replace his 99
Old 12-14-03, 08:25 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is that this test appears to have used a 4Runner with a listed weight of 4365 pounds, what is the difference since the GX is heavier?
Old 12-14-03, 11:16 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Kbach
My question is that this test appears to have used a 4Runner with a listed weight of 4365 pounds, what is the difference since the GX is heavier?
So I guess the Insurance Institute realize it was pointless to crash test identical vehicles under different nameplates, has to be the Insurance companies don't want to pay excess money to crash test 5 trailblazers (Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravado, Isuzu Ascender, Buick Rainier)

I would not sweat the difference lexus has the GX listed at 4740 "curb weight" which is 375 more pounds then the 4Runner I driver and passengers can make up the difference, I just noticed the 4Runner also has the 4.0L V6 but all that really matters is the body structure and it's from Lexus, it's not like you bought a Toyota comparing my 4Runner to my ES300, or the camry loaner I had, I would say Lexus added enough in terms of any extra strenght it might need for the slight increase in weight but also remember that the Prado/GX is suppost to replace the LX/Landcrusier and the Landcruiser is a tank, so the GX will continue that reign.

A while back someone on the Nissan Truck board I visit found a Russian Toyota Off Road Board, hard to translate but the pictures where self explanatory but eventually the russians found our board and joined in, 2 Guys 1 in a LandCrusier (the FJ before the V8 option) the other in a 4Runner (3rd Gen not the current) slammed into each other at a high rate of speed off road on a snow run in a white out, both truck needed new bumpers

Have faith man, maybe they will smash I mean crash a GX for fun but it's Toyota/Lexus, their a reason why the #1 luxury car is Lexus over and above BMW, MB and dare I even say Caddy
Old 12-14-03, 01:31 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2

Have faith man, maybe they will smash I mean crash a GX for fun but it's Toyota/Lexus, their a reason why the #1 luxury car is Lexus over and above BMW, MB and dare I even say Caddy
Mercedes and BMWs crash very well too.
Old 12-14-03, 01:54 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by brent0226
Mercedes and BMWs crash very well too.
Thats true and sounds kind of funny, they should add that to their commercials and they crash well too
Old 12-14-03, 01:58 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
Thats true and sounds kind of funny, they should add that to their commercials and they crash well too

hahaha
Old 12-14-03, 04:55 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Benz had a really cool commercial a year or so ago with an M-class crashing into a barrier with the Bee Gees singing "Staying Alive" in the background. Volvo also had a good one with that footage of them barrell rolling the XC90 off of a forklift. I wish more companies would stress this.
Old 12-14-03, 05:01 PM
brent0226
Driver

Benz had a really cool commercial a year or so ago with an M-class crashing into a barrier with the Bee Gees singing "Staying Alive" in the background. Volvo also had a good one with that footage of them barrell rolling the XC90 off of a forklift. I wish more companies would stress this.
Have you seen the Mercedes G500 commercial where they're doing a crash test and it breaks through the wall?

Quick Reply: GX is Best Pick in IIHS crash test