GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05, 10:20 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question

I know this has probably been asked before but here goes: Since they both have essentially the mechanical powertrain, does the 4 Runner have that same driveline vibration as the GX?

I am so close to getting a GX-470, but I want to at least look at the 4 Runner before making my final decision.

I like the looks of the LEXUS, and there is the perception of more quality with it. But since they are essentially the same vehicle, the TOYOTA is no slouch.

THANKS
Old 07-02-05, 02:21 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gserep1
I know this has probably been asked before but here goes: Since they both have essentially the mechanical powertrain, does the 4 Runner have that same driveline vibration as the GX?

I am so close to getting a GX-470, but I want to at least look at the 4 Runner before making my final decision.

I like the looks of the LEXUS, and there is the perception of more quality with it. But since they are essentially the same vehicle, the TOYOTA is no slouch.

THANKS
Go to www.toyota-4runner.org I can tell you that there have been a few complaints but not as many as you see here. Since there is 10 times the number of 4th generation owners on the 4runner site it should be the other way around. They both have the same drivetrain (they are the same vehicle, except for the sheet metal and interior) built in the same factory in Japan. I think a lot of the difference comes form the person buying the vehicle. 4runner buyer is buying what they perceive to be a rugged SUV for $25-$40K. The GX470 buyer perceives they are buying a luxury SUV for $50K-$60K. Different expectations. I can tell you that with my 2004 4runner Sport Edition V8 AWD I have no vibration.
Old 07-02-05, 02:32 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PitBull
I agree, and the tire issue is weird. Like I've said before, I see all of these GX's with DunFlop's on them and then I see 4runners with the Michelin Cross Terrains. So Lexus puts cheap tires on the Luxury Vehicle and premium tires on the midsize offering. I guess they don't think Americans are smart enough to know the difference.
My '05 GX (Dec delivery) has Mich XTerrains.
Old 07-02-05, 02:46 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by loflin
My '05 GX (Dec delivery) has Mich XTerrains.
When you pay $50K+ for a vehicle they all should come with the Michelin Cross Terrains, that includes the LX470 and the Toyota Landcruiser. If you check www.tirerack.com the Michelins cost 2X's as much and if you check the tire rating they are rated at the top. The DunFlops and Brigstones are rated poor. Glad you got the good tires.
Old 07-02-05, 08:40 PM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because GX is called Toyota Landcruiser (120) aka Prado in rest of the world, and has great deal of tradition to maintain, while 4-Runner is NA only, cheaper alternative. While GX sells great in the US, Prado sells even better in Europe which is much, much tougher market for SUV's.
I realize that, but it would have been easy enough to change it around between the GX and the 4Runner. There is a number of differences between the GX and the Prado as well, so no excuse to just carry stuff over.

I wish they made the 4Runner more like the Prado and added the V8, actually they should have used the same body for all 3 models. Then add the rear tire carrier on the 4Runner and second gas tank There is no real reason why they couldn't make the rear window go down on the GX, apart from styling issues. It doesn't have a tire carrier like the Prado, which cuts into the door leaving no room for a rolldown rear window.

But alas they are what they are. At least looking at pricing of the Prado overseas, even the GX is a bargain adn it is more luxurious with the V8

All I can say once you drive both you realize there is place for both and each has it's good and bad aspects.
Old 07-03-05, 11:32 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Don't make the mistake of assuming the Prado 120 is the same as the GX because they share more bodywork than the 4Runner. All 3 are brothers but different for different markets.

The V8 is only avail in the 4Runner and GX470, for example. As for options, features and upscale interiors, the Prado 120 offers the lowest grade, bare bones suv while the GX offers the highest.

All of which is moot as the Prado is unavail here and of the GX and 4Runner, both are the best in their respective markets. Mechanically, the Prado has more in common w/ the 4Runner - but more in common w/ body of GX. So it's a mix of the two.

bliksem is right, both have their good and bad aspects.
Value& sporty-ness must go to the 4Runner; luxury& content must go to the GX- just as it should be for each market.
Old 07-03-05, 01:01 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GXPrado
Don't make the mistake of assuming the Prado 120 is the same as the GX because they share more bodywork than the 4Runner. All 3 are brothers but different for different markets.

The V8 is only avail in the 4Runner and GX470, for example. As for options, features and upscale interiors, the Prado 120 offers the lowest grade, bare bones suv while the GX offers the highest.

All of which is moot as the Prado is unavail here and of the GX and 4Runner, both are the best in their respective markets. Mechanically, the Prado has more in common w/ the 4Runner - but more in common w/ body of GX. So it's a mix of the two.

bliksem is right, both have their good and bad aspects.
Value& sporty-ness must go to the 4Runner; luxury& content must go to the GX- just as it should be for each market.
I thought the 4runner and GX470 were identical mechanically? Maybe stiffer springs on the 4runner but that they differed only from, sheet metal and content?
Old 07-03-05, 01:11 PM
knolex2001
Driver

Originally Posted by pdonnell
Edge2,
Have to agree with your second comment. However, most people don't see it that way. Or, don't want to see it that way.
My auto budding says that the RX and Highlander AWD V6 are manufactured in the same plant and per his manuals, body panels can be interchanged without modifying size or spec. He hates 'em both as (he says) both are nothing more than a fully loaded Camry with longer struts.
But they just can't be the same as the RX is $7K more?
I'm sorry, but I can't tolerate this ignorant rambling anymore. The Highlander is based on the first gen RX300. The current RX330 is bigger, safer and more efficient. Only the engines are shared.

In response to the GX vs 4runner, the only shared components are the chassis, engine, trans, and brakes. EVERYTHING ELSE is different! Consider also the resale which will inevitably be better on a Lexus GX selling 20,000 units a year vs the 4Runner selling more that 60,000 units a year.

EVERY POST you have had has only shot down the Lexus, while placing the 4Runner on a pedestal! You have obviously shopped it at a Toyota dealer, so go buy one and waste someone else's time on a Toyota web site!
Old 07-03-05, 01:45 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by PitBull
I thought the 4runner and GX470 were identical mechanically? Maybe stiffer springs on the 4runner but that they differed only from, sheet metal and content?
Sorry I wasn't clear.
Yes the V8 4Runner and GX are mechanically identical. Suspensions, frame, etc are all the same.
The GX adds goodies like KDSS and adj. shocks, standard air rr shocks (optional on the 4Runner).

4Runner is an important brand for Toyota so they made a body specific to the north american market. They GX's market likes "euro" styling so they "americanized" the Prado body and mega-beefed up the interior.
Of course, the interior of the GX is in line w/ it's price- very nicely featured on par w/ the Land Cruiser.
Old 07-03-05, 03:10 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Yes the V8 4Runner and GX are mechanically identical. Suspensions, frame, etc are all the same.
The GX adds goodies like KDSS and adj. shocks, standard air rr shocks (optional on the 4Runner).

4Runner is an important brand for Toyota so they made a body specific to the north american market. They GX's market likes "euro" styling so they "americanized" the Prado body and mega-beefed up the interior.
Of course, the interior of the GX is in line w/ it's price- very nicely featured on par w/ the Land Cruiser.
That KDSS is the icing on the cake. I understand it will make a GX470 beat a Landcrusier/LX470 off road, even though the LC/LX is cleaner underneath. I think from reading all of the information on the 4runner and the GX470 that a GX with all of the added luxury and the KDDS is worth the $$. Kind of nice that Toyota offers all of the levels of this vehicle to cover everyones needs.
Old 07-05-05, 11:57 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb OK ... we had our fun, but for those serious people

Sorry I wasn't clear.
(No, this is not directed at you GXPrado, just using your statement)

Just curiuos, what part of the suspension IS compatible between the two. You have listed all the components, as being added to the GX and not the 4Runner (except the air spring option). The are on one and not the other, which are what defines the difference. That is like a statement." that computer is like the other one, except this one is newer, faster and not as much disk space or ram". Somewhere, this thread keeps some type of "comparison" alive on weak merits. If they were TRULY the same vehicle, I think we ALL would have noticed it by now. Not to slam the 4Runner group, but why are you guys so enthusiastic about trying to "push" your truck opinion on this group of users. We have all looked at the 4Runner (and a great truck it is), we made our decision, and we went upscale. Typically, I don't think we have to prove anything, but WTF, if we thought the 4Runner was what we wanted, WE WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE. It is like telling a Cadillac owner he spent too much, he could have gone with a Monte Carlo.

- start of being a "****" -
If you CANNOT tell the difference between the GX and 4Runner vehicles than I think you spent too much money, even buying the 4Runner. You could have "saved bank" and yourself a favour by purchasing a Kia. They have 4WD too.
- end of being a "****" -

This is not meant to insight a 4Runner is like the Kia, just that there IS a difference in auto construction, and the pricing of what physical properties were used to construct it.
Old 07-05-05, 01:38 PM
GXPrado
Driver

You forgot all my other statements in this thread or are you selectively reading to create drama?

If you want a GX, get one. If you want a 4Runner, get one.
Affordability, status, intended use, personal preference all have something to do with it. They are built side-by-side in Japan, the quality is the same. GX def. has nice upgrades and Toyota is smart, they step it up for each level of trim.
Emotional comparisons are annoying.

Objective comparisons are useful because it may help you as a owner. For example, knowing Lexus Part #X = Toyota Part#Y = $250 savings. Or, I need part Z and Lexus is on B.O. but Toyota has it. etc etc.

To answer your question, you can undo the half dozen bolts, pull the body off a GX and put it on a V8 4Runner chassis and it would be a near direct fit. Does that make it "the same"? No because there are alot of differences that make the GX experience in line w/ it's market.

So there is no put-down saying they share identical mechanical/chassis b/c there are real differences as well--and the price reflects that.

It's a product and you can learn alot if you understand that product. That's what I've been doing.
Old 07-05-05, 02:38 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

GXPrado, very well said.
Old 07-05-05, 02:39 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I have noticed ...

To answer your question, you can undo the half dozen bolts, pull the body off a GX and put it on a V8 4Runner chassis and it would be a near direct fit. Does that make it "the same"? No because there are alot of differences that make the GX experience in line w/ it's market.

I think we are on the same page. My using of your excerpt was not intended to slam your POV. It was used to illustrate and dramatize the subject (thanks for the lead in). I know, from your past posts, that you are aware of the marketing positions behind these vehicles. And in no way am I disputing your observations. As I am not disputing the similarities of the two vehicles.
I think should be clear that some people are using this as a forum for precocious behaviour. Regardless, it has been amusing (and somewhat annoying) to read the complete range of views concerning this topic. This thread goes beyond subjective observations. Some continue to call it a "Duck", when simple evaluation of the designated component selection should clarify the complete package of the vehicles.

BTW .. this will be my last comment on this particular thread. I think this subject is thrashed beyond recognition of being helpful. As for anyone who replies to my comment ... have fun (or not).

Last edited by ADVocate; 07-05-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-05-05, 03:13 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ADVocat
You have listed all the components, as being added to the GX and not the 4Runner (except the air spring option). The are on one and not the other, which are what defines the difference. That is like a statement." that computer is like the other one, except this one is newer, faster and not as much disk space or ram". Somewhere, this thread keeps some type of "comparison" alive on weak merits. If they were TRULY the same vehicle, I think we ALL would have noticed it by now. .
The GX has the "OPTION" of KDSS (and most don't have this option on them). The standard feature of adjustable shocks, are not impressive compared to XREAS shocks that come standard on the T4R SE? The fact is that these vehicles "are" a combination of their parts and as you have pointed out you think Lexus parts are special. Would you like to buy a bridge, if you will send me the cash I will have Santa deliver it.

Quick Reply: Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??