GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forerunner V8 Limited vs. GS470??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 05:55 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

[QUOTE=knolex2001]In response to the GX vs 4runner, the only shared components are the chassis, engine, trans, and brakes. EVERYTHING ELSE is different! Consider also the resale which will inevitably be better on a Lexus GX selling 20,000 units a year vs the 4Runner selling more that 60,000 units a year.QUOTE]

I did a little digging on this issue, but ended up more confused in the end. I'm going to buy the GX, when the time arrises. However, Can someone explain the True Cost Of Ownership between the two vehicles? Here's a link to edmunds.com's comparison. The information here suggests a higher depreciation for the GX!!! Although their graphics indicate otherwise. They also suggest a higher operating cost for the 4Runner. If the vehicles are identicle mechanically, why the gap? Am I missing something?

GX:

4Runner:
Old 07-05-05, 06:20 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rj4510]
Originally Posted by knolex2001
In response to the GX vs 4runner, the only shared components are the chassis, engine, trans, and brakes. EVERYTHING ELSE is different! Consider also the resale which will inevitably be better on a Lexus GX selling 20,000 units a year vs the 4Runner selling more that 60,000 units a year.QUOTE]

I did a little digging on this issue, but ended up more confused in the end. I'm going to buy the GX, when the time arrises. However, Can someone explain the True Cost Of Ownership between the two vehicles? Here's a link to edmunds.com's comparison. The information here suggests a higher depreciation for the GX!!! Although their graphics indicate otherwise. They also suggest a higher operating cost for the 4Runner. If the vehicles are identicle mechanically, why the gap? Am I missing something?

GX:

4Runner:

From what I could tell the GX will cost you 12 cents per mile more then the 4runner if you own it for 5 years and drive it 75K miles. That works out to $9000 more to own the GX which is about $150 per month or $5.00 per day for 5 years. Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-06-05, 08:03 AM
rj4510
Instructor

[QUOTE=PitBull]
Originally Posted by rj4510

From what I could tell the GX will cost you 12 cents per mile more then the 4runner if you own it for 5 years and drive it 75K miles. That works out to $9000 more to own the GX which is about $150 per month or $5.00 per day for 5 years. Good luck on your decision.

What I was really getting at was the Operating Costs and Depreciation. I can understand why the operating costs of a GX is less than some of its compettitors, but why is the 4Runner so much higher? Also, how does the depreciation really break down while comparing the two? Does the lexus really depreciate less rapidly?
Old 07-06-05, 08:47 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RJ,

I drove both, GX and the 4Runner, and for me the TCO was an issue also. But once I got into BOTH vehicles and drove both of them extensively, TCO went right out of the window, I didn't care of TCO was double, or triple... The GX is a completely different machine compared to the 4runner. No matter the cost, I just fell in love with the GX when compared to the 4runner!

The 4runner is an extremely capable vehicle and was extremely sturdy and rugged but at the end of the day, the GX performed the same (if not better) and OH the Lexus Leather seats, beautiful wood trim, and RIDE, just blew me away!!!

The 4runner will drive like a truck and feel like one are a long drive, but the GX will never leave you wanting for more.

Good luck on either of your choices both are great vehicles...
Old 07-06-05, 08:58 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

[QUOTE=rj4510]
Originally Posted by PitBull

What I was really getting at was the Operating Costs and Depreciation. I can understand why the operating costs of a GX is less than some of its compettitors, but why is the 4Runner so much higher? Also, how does the depreciation really break down while comparing the two? Does the lexus really depreciate less rapidly?
Seems to be based on ZIP code. Mine shows the 4runner at $4520 for maintance for 5 years and the GX470 at $4617. Not much difference. Fuel is the same amount and repair is $842 T4R and $914 GX. I think most of the saving with the T4R is with the financing cost, because of the lower original cost and thus less depreciation. If you can afford the GX, I would get it. I also don't see where the edmunds comparison takes into consideration the better warranty that comes with the GX or the way your treated at the Lexus dealership compared to Toyota. If that is worth the additional $150 per month go for it. I think it becomes a very personal decision. Since you are doing all of the research you are making a very informed decision. Don't forget the emotional part that involves your personal feelings and enjoyment of your new ride. Some people would enjoy the fact that they got a great vehicle and saved $150 per month and others would enjoy the prestige of owning the GX and the additional luxury, like I said very personal. But one thing for sure you can't go wrong with either one you buy.
Old 07-06-05, 03:59 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Guys...
You don't have to convince me that the GX is a better and more fun to drive vehicle. I also love the treatment I get at the Lex dealer compared to Toyota. Thus far, our 4Runner has cost me far more to maintain than our GX. Their both 99s with 73K miles, but I get far more breakes when I take the GS in for a similar service as the truck. The lexus dealer has always made sure I've been thrilled with the service they performed. They often provide some of the service for free, but the Toyota dealer will bill me to the very last cent.

My point in asking the question was nothing more than wanting to see how things come out on paper. This data is often usable when providing logical comparisons for others. There's no need to beat this issue to death, as it appears different regions are providing different numbers on edmunds. This was a point I had not considered.

RJ
Old 07-06-05, 04:18 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rj4510
Guys...
You don't have to convince me that the GX is a better and more fun to drive vehicle. I also love the treatment I get at the Lex dealer compared to Toyota. Thus far, our 4Runner has cost me far more to maintain than our GX. Their both 99s with 73K miles, but I get far more breakes when I take the GS in for a similar service as the truck. The lexus dealer has always made sure I've been thrilled with the service they performed. They often provide some of the service for free, but the Toyota dealer will bill me to the very last cent.

My point in asking the question was nothing more than wanting to see how things come out on paper. This data is often usable when providing logical comparisons for others. There's no need to beat this issue to death, as it appears different regions are providing different numbers on edmunds. This was a point I had not considered.

RJ
I hear you, my Toyota dealer has a quicklube service and if they don't get it done in 29 minutes the next one is free. So every other oil change is free . Then I normally only pay $25 for the one's that aren't free because I get coupons in the mail. They do a good job but it is not as nice as I was treated at Hennessy Lexus in Atlanta when I had my LS,SC and ES. The Lexus dealer was even nice when they forgot to put oil in my wifes ES during the 90K mile service I now check the oil level before I drive off from any dealer change, I also look for leaks.
Old 07-07-05, 05:19 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by PitBull
I hear you, my Toyota dealer has a quicklube service and if they don't get it done in 29 minutes the next one is free. So every other oil change is free . Then I normally only pay $25 for the one's that aren't free because I get coupons in the mail. They do a good job but it is not as nice as I was treated at Hennessy Lexus in Atlanta when I had my LS,SC and ES. The Lexus dealer was even nice when they forgot to put oil in my wifes ES during the 90K mile service I now check the oil level before I drive off from any dealer change, I also look for leaks.

Free if they don't get it done in under 29 minutes!!! I had to wait an hour and a half last Saturday. I kiddingly asked the sales writer if they had any loaners and he not so kiddingly said there is no way they would provide a loaner for a $30 oil change.

A little agitated by the comment, I said "Oh...I guess I've been spoiled by the Lexus dealer". The service writer then told me he used to work for Lexus, but transferred to Toyota, because he was tired of spoiling people

I was only kidding about the loaner, but the service writer's response left me relatively ticked It's been like that with them the whole way...charge for this...charge for that. They even insisted I pay them twice for the same diagnostic fee, when their first attempt didn't resolve the isue. The sad thing is that they are the only reputable Toyota dealer in my area.

I'll pay the extra and get the GS, when it's time to trade.