GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is this good service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 07:35 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, another Toyota vs Lexus post. This is getting old.

How about let’s change the subject to “hardwood floor vs laminated floor” or “brick vs vinyl siding”?

You can say all you want about how much you saved by choosing laminated floor and vinyl siding and I will still feel happy about my hardwood floor and brick exterior.

To me, it’s just personal taste.

About the loaner car, I really hate to sit in a room full of people just for waiting an oil change especially during the flu season. In Lexus dealer, I just drop off the car, get a cup of gourmet coffee and an already warm up Lexus is outside waiting for me. Ah, life is good
Old 01-21-04, 08:02 PM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I was just going to let it go because it turned out to be another this vs that thread. But, I had to respond. The simple question was is this good service? I thought so. As far as going above and beyond what they should do.....

I had previously owned a 2000 LX470. My wife drove it and wore the brakes down to the rotor. Of course she didn't tell me anything was wrong with it until it's too late. At this point, there was over 90K miles on it. They could have simply charged me for new rotors but they didn't. They just charged me for a regular brake job. Previous to that, I owned an Expedition. I noticed a little grind in the brakes and took it immediately to the Ford dealership. They promptly billed me $350 for a brake job +new rotors.

Also, about the additional cost. Look at my previous response. They are cheaper than an independant Lexus shop.
Old 01-21-04, 08:48 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

I thought so. As far as going above and beyond what they should do.....

Replacing a flare? If you think so.
Old 01-21-04, 09:24 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by super_cjc
So, another Toyota vs Lexus post. This is getting old.

How about let’s change the subject to “hardwood floor vs laminated floor” or “brick vs vinyl siding”?

You can say all you want about how much you saved by choosing laminated floor and vinyl siding and I will still feel happy about my hardwood floor and brick exterior.

To me, it’s just personal taste.

About the loaner car, I really hate to sit in a room full of people just for waiting an oil change especially during the flu season. In Lexus dealer, I just drop off the car, get a cup of gourmet coffee and an already warm up Lexus is outside waiting for me. Ah, life is good
I must have missed where it changed into a Lexus verse Toyota, I did see someone mention Saturn has great service

The only problem with Lexus is their prices reflect those of BMW and MB, and from reading on this board ES and GS as well as other think 1000 bucks and even more for other services is a little nuts, but the Germans offer included maintenance, for what lexus wants to do to my ES at 15k I think it's 600 dollars

Now for loaner cars, both my Toy and Lex dealer offer them but I opt for the Lex service cause they give me Lexus service at Toy prices for my 4Runner now if I can only convince them my ES is a V6 Camry with extensive body work
Old 01-21-04, 09:34 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

Edge,
You bring up a good point. Great service can be had for any price. I priced maintenance requirements comparing a GX and 4R and the Toyota was cheaper hands down.
So while getting a "loaner" car would be considered "superior" service. Don't be naive to think it doesn't come without a cost.
And yea, got some Saturn owners at work with nary a complaint about there service.

Last edited by pdonnell; 01-21-04 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 09:38 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by pdonnell
I thought so. As far as going above and beyond what they should do.....

Replacing a flare? If you think so.
Each dealer is an Independent shop, it really comes down to the individuals you deal with basically the guys who live in the shop, some are more willing to throw Lexus money around then others but most dealers do almost anything when it comes to new car repairs pretty much everything falls under the 1st year and 12k, if they replace the flare your likly to come back and spend 90 bucks for an oil change wait til you see the cost for maintenance service every 15k plus they also take care of the customers who shell out, last time I was at Lexus this 70 year old guy and his wife did not even flinch when the girl told him the service total for his LS was 3300 dollars, but the guy who lost a key could not understand why he had to pay 400 for a replacement.

I don't think Lexus is doing anything more then any other dealer, did you know Ford repaints their F-150 for customers
Old 01-21-04, 09:54 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Last edited by <VENOM>; 01-21-04 at 09:58 PM.