GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is this good service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04 | 02:31 PM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Is this good service?

Bought my GX a couple of weeks ago. Had 9 miles on it. Noticed this past weekend there was a little gap on the fender flare. Looks like the retainer clip is not holding. Instead of the dealer trying to fix it, they are just going to replace the whole fender flare. Personally, I think that's pretty good.
Old 01-14-04 | 04:18 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Good service is one major factor that we chose Lexus.
Old 01-14-04 | 08:34 PM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

It also depends on the Lexus dealership. I previously owned a 2000 LX470. Bought it from one dealership and serviced it at another. I ended up buying the GX from where I get it serviced at because my service guy has always gone above and beyond what I thought he should do. It's not that the other place was all that bad, they're labor rate was just way too high.

Anyway, I was a little worried because I thought they were going to have to repaint the new fender flare that they ordered. He told me not to worry because that specific piece is pre-painted.
Old 01-14-04 | 08:38 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

john,

the service department is where the dealers make most of their cash..if the car is under warranty, its corporate who is footing the bill. that sounds like enough motivation for me to start replacing entire parts and all

lexus service (on average) is legendary compared to others manufacturers...fwiw
Old 01-14-04 | 09:55 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Saturn has excellent service from what I heard don't have any 1st had experience but it's what I heard many times probably on par with Lexus
Old 01-15-04 | 03:30 PM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

tetra7,

I absolutely know that's where dealers make most of their money. I used to do maintenance myself. But a wife and 3 kids later, I'm either too busy or too tired. I also found an independant shop that works on Lexus only and they still charged more than the dealer I'm going to.

Ex. Timing belt/water pump

Current dealer - $886
Independant - $1000
Last dealer - $1200-$1400 (can't remember the exact amount)
Old 01-19-04 | 05:47 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I think that's pretty good.
But what other choice did the dealer have other than a replacement? The service dept. doesn't have fabricators on staff, course a replacement was needed. IMHO (the replacement will have all, new clips used to secure the flare.)

Last edited by pdonnell; 01-19-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-20-04 | 07:16 AM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

They could have simply replaced the retainer clips and put on the double sided tape.
Old 01-20-04 | 09:46 AM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

Double sided tape is not an OEM repair. And I don't know how the manufacturer would supply the clips without supplying the fender along with them.
The gap in the flare also may not have been repairable with a simple clip replacement since its most likely plastic and its form/structure was already compromised. If a new clip was put in your just risking a repeat of it becoming detached. You can't really tell how plastic will behave once its become "flared out".
I think the cause was not the absence of a clip but the stress of the compromised flare detached the clip.
So a whole replacement was necessary. Don't think this is any example of anyone "going out of their way".

Last edited by pdonnell; 01-20-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-20-04 | 09:48 AM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

I looked at it. That's all that's holding the top of the fender flare in place.
Old 01-20-04 | 09:53 AM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

So, maybe it was the clips. But why was the clip missing? (bad clips?, Bad flare? Both?)
Better to replace everything to rule out a repeat down the road. Still not a example of the stealer going out of their way though.
When installed make sure the color matching is right for the car. Remember your getting a painted product off the shelf that wasn't originally on the car. No two batches of paint are the same.
Old 01-20-04 | 09:56 AM
johnvu
Driver School Candidate

That was my biggest concern. I was afraid that they were going to put it on and then paint it. Was told that that specific part comes pre-painted. Obviously, I'd look it over really close to make sure there is a perfect match. Anyway, this example is probably not the best as far as them going out of their way. I previously owned an LX470 and had some issues that were totatly my fault and they took care of them for me anyway.
Old 01-20-04 | 01:26 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

Dealers usually have a lot of discretion whether to cover things under warranty or not. Many will give the benefit of the doubt. When they do this, I consider it going out of there way. Buyers are generally the brands best advertisers so there tons of goodwill to cover things when technically a dealer isn't obligated to.
All if not most dealers, especially the place you bought the vehicle from, will go out of their way to make accomdations.
I just haven't heard any Lexus "service" stories which make them appear superior in service. i.e. Like the Nordstroms story of accepting a returned tire years ago in a Washington store when they didn't even sell tires.
Now, thats service I'd pay money for. Say what you will about "loaner cars". Lexus still doesn't have enough service to warrant its add'l cost.
Old 01-20-04 | 06:08 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

additional cost compare to what? please be more specific.
Old 01-21-04 | 07:36 AM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

First of all, I'm not naive about people having different priorities about whats gets them excited about the car they own.
I test drove a GX, inspected where and how it was built and appointed. Then I did the same with a 4R Limited V8 4x4 fully loaded (i.e. DVD NAVI, Rear Camera, Air bags, Sun roof, Available 3rd seat).
In the end the price disparity between the two of about $10K wasn't enough for me to bite on the GX. In all honesty maybe I would have if getting a loaner car and having a higher level of vanity ranked higher on my priorities. (as if I'm buying for dependability to have my car in the shop to get a loaner car?)
To fully appreciate my perspective do some tire kicking and research, drive both and run the numbers. Its easy to pre-judge if you haven't done this. Thats as specific as I need to get.

Last edited by pdonnell; 01-21-04 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this good service?