GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Had rattle, rattle fixed, be picky on which dealer you use.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 11:01 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon Claim

Folks,
Bought my 04 GX470 on DEC 15. It has been little over a month (34 days to be exact) , the car has spent 23 days (still counting) in the shop. I have taken it there 3 times for the same problem. Noise/rattle in the back/underneath (very loud) of the car. The service person and his manager have driven the car several times and even have take to their homes overnight and have clearly heard the noise. Throughtout this I have been pretty patient and the service has been able to give me good loaners everytime.
I called the dealership again today and they still are trying to create the problem (find solution). I mailed the letter today to Lexus for asking them to buy the car back..
Please make suggestions. VA lemon law is 3 strikes or 30 cumulative days. For an unusual case like mine where the car has barely been with me , I would think Lexus would make exception and not wait for 30 days.
Can anybody relate to this type of experience
thanks
Old 01-20-04, 01:15 PM
pdonnell
Driver School Candidate

You've owned it 34 days and it has 23 of 'em in the shop for the same reason?
The longer a vehicle is in the shop for the same reason the higher the priority for a repair it becomes. I would say 23 days in the shop compared to 11 in your drive-way surpasses this threshold.
Smart of you to take steps now to get the car bought back from the dealer. Its unfortunate the dealer hasn't disclosed a timeline for repair. Of course its to his benefit that he doesn't do this but it keeps the whole situation fluid. Which is to the benefit of the dealer and detriment to the owner (you).
Start your letter writing campaign now. Its unfortunate this so-called "service" that Lexus provides is so transparent in your situation. Loaner cars are nice, but they really share a purpose in pacifying owners. I've would've started writing letters after 10 repairs days. Or until an intelligent answer came from the dealer what is taking so flippen long.
You can go to the toyota website and get some customer service numbers (if you don't have them yet) and ask for the address of the Chairman of Toyota Corp. and the president of North American Operations. Write the complaint and fed-ex it to these people with a CC to the Dept of Consumer Affairs, Better Business Bureau, and FTC. And J.D. Powers & Associates to share a story about where Lexus priorities are.
You want action and promises NOW.

Last edited by pdonnell; 01-20-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 04:58 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

The letter I sent to Lexus corp states that if they don't fix the problem within 30 days then they need to replace the car or refund my money. I did attach a copy of all paperwork from the dealership
Old 01-21-04, 06:53 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Latest....
Got a call from the dealership to pick up the car. They think (are hoping) that it could be the loose roof rack. There is no way that a loose roof rack can make a sound underneath the car. Anyways I need to pick up the car tonight.
Out of frustration I called Lexus Customer Service. The person I talked to was very courteous and was suprised as well that the car has spent 25 days in the shop. I told her that I want Lexus to buy the car back or give me a different Car. She thought that was a very reasonable thing to ask. She said however she needs to do her own research and will get back in 3 to 5 days. She gave me her name and told me to ask for her if I call back.
Lets see what happens
Old 01-21-04, 08:13 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rizman, just out of curiosity, which dealer do you take your GX to?
Old 01-21-04, 08:16 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Pohanka Lexus
Old 01-21-04, 05:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

How many miles are actually on the truck, 11 days of driving and 3 consist of going back to the dealer their can't even be 1000 miles yet.

Is this noise under the truck a similar noise as to what other owners complained of cause to have the vehicle replaced with another with the same noises would be no good.

If I was you I would tell them I don't want it, they owned it and drove it more then you, to me the truck probably has more tech driven hard miles on it then you want, especially if they took it home, my father has done that but with domestics
Old 01-21-04, 06:30 PM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Brought it in today with 1341 miles. Approximately 500 while in service. Going to drive it tommorrow for approx 100 miles. In all probability I will hear the sound. This is not the same noise.
Old 01-21-04, 07:16 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

So what is the noise, inside outside what are they tryin to fix on it, any particular part
Old 01-21-04, 07:49 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This may sound stupid but

did they check the spare tire? My wife's spare on her RX somehow became loose and started to make a noise like you are describing and NO-ONE thought to check it, that is until it went sailing off the car on the highway. They think that someone may have tried to steal the spare and didn't get off before they got spooked and left - and left it partially hanging.

Hope you find the issue and get it resolved.
Old 01-22-04, 05:02 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Loose Spare was the first thing they checked(fixed).
Second time it was the Stone in the Fram Rail.
Third time the roof rack rail.

The sound comes from underneath towards the back. Most of the time it is on the left side. Occasionally moves towards the right. Goes away with sudden braking.
Old 01-22-04, 02:10 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rizman. Take a look at the responses from JP Imports.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...l=hard+braking
Old 01-23-04, 05:23 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

for whatever reason that fix did not fly with the Service maanger
Old 02-04-04, 06:44 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

Default An update

An update on my story.
Last couple of weeks I contacted Lexus via mail (formally). It prompted the local Lexus dealership (Lexus of Rockville) to call me. I talked to the General Manager there and he totally understood my frustration. Since Rockville had never looked at the car , he asked me to give them one chance to look at it and if I am still having the problem then he would himself (with or without the consent of Lexus Corp) put me in a new GX. Needless to say I was very comfortable with his approach. They actually sent the salesperson who sold me the car with the loaner to pick up my car. Since this dealership is about 35 miles from my house I was really impressed with their level of service.
Long story short he called me after talking to the service manager and says it is nothing but the drive shaft problem. He was surprised that the Pohanka (the dealership close to home) guy never picked up on this. Anyhow he said he would like to keep the car for a couple of days to make sure they test drive .
Supposed to be getting the car today The salesperson is again going to drop it off and pick up the loaner. Can't beat the level of service.

Will keep posted.
Old 02-04-04, 03:50 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: An update

Originally posted by rizman
An update on my story.
Last couple of weeks I contacted Lexus via mail (formally). It prompted the local Lexus dealership (Lexus of Rockville) to call me. I talked to the General Manager there and he totally understood my frustration. Since Rockville had never looked at the car , he asked me to give them one chance to look at it and if I am still having the problem then he would himself (with or without the consent of Lexus Corp) put me in a new GX. Needless to say I was very comfortable with his approach. They actually sent the salesperson who sold me the car with the loaner to pick up my car. Since this dealership is about 35 miles from my house I was really impressed with their level of service.
Long story short he called me after talking to the service manager and says it is nothing but the drive shaft problem. He was surprised that the Pohanka (the dealership close to home) guy never picked up on this. Anyhow he said he would like to keep the car for a couple of days to make sure they test drive .
Supposed to be getting the car today The salesperson is again going to drop it off and pick up the loaner. Can't beat the level of service.

Will keep posted.
Pohanka replaced my driveshaft due to a clunking when stopping, but maybe the symptoms were not easy enough for them to detect the same problem for you.

Quick Reply: Had rattle, rattle fixed, be picky on which dealer you use.