GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New GX 470 or Used LX 470?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 07:58 AM
Big Ragu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GX 470 or Used LX 470?

Reading these threads on the GX 470 have scared me into reconsidering purchasing the vehicle. Long periods in the shop, vibrations, and other problems are to blame. Is this accurate?

So, I ask the forum, should I buy a cert. preowned LX 470 ... a proven & trouble-free vehicle?

I am looking for guidance.

Thanks in advance,
-Big Ragu
Old 01-21-04, 09:02 AM
rizman
Driver School Candidate

A Certified Pre Owned is not a guarantee either. I am sure those cars are Loaner/Lease returns. I get an RX330 as a loaner when I drop my GX off. Frankly I don't trust the way the loaners are driven. 2 out 3 RX's that I have gotten as loaners have various rattles/thud noises. I would still (even though mine is a sad story so far) trust a new (one that has not been abused by others) car. Just make sure you include driving on the highway and various roads as one of the conditions of buying the car. In other words tell the dealership that you need to keep the car overnight and drive it at least 30-40 miles on various roads.
Old 01-21-04, 10:05 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Go with a 04 GX just test drive it and all should be good, their are tons of people with problem free GX's if you listen to the same 5 owners pick these trucks apart you'll drive yourself crazy.

If what you read on this forum scares you don't go to edmunds
Old 01-24-04, 08:21 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Every minor (and I do mean minor) complaint I've had with my 03 GX has been resolved from the "clunk" from behind to the sqeaky seat. The last issue I have is an inaccurate thermometer, but my service rep just emailed me to let me know the replacement part is in per a TSB. Most of the Lexus folk I have spoken to refer to the GX as an LX killer (with regard to sales) since you are getting something very similar for a lot less $$$.

I agree with Rizman. The loaners I have taken have been beaten to crap. I would much prefer a new vehicle that I can personally beat to crap first. From experience, forums harbor "fanatics". That is not such a bad thing since these people, myself included, love our vehicles, but you can't let the vocal minority speak for the thousands of owners.
Old 01-25-04, 05:35 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mogulbumm
I agree with Rizman. The loaners I have taken have been beaten to crap. I would much prefer a new vehicle that I can personally beat to crap first.
Please send me an email when you're ready to sell your beat to crap vehicle. I might be interested!
Old 01-25-04, 08:38 PM
Triplenet
Driver School Candidate

I investigated the used LX & Landcruiser option as last year GX's were very scarce. I wanted nav, so that left me with looking at almost new LX and LC's which used are more than a new GX. I thought the GX interior looked better than the LX & LC, so called around in a 500 mile radius and found the GX I wanted. I really don't know what to think of the "problems" some complain about. One post stated that if you held the wood part of the steering wheel with your finger tips, you could feel the vibration! That's true, but is that really worth complaining about? It is a truck built on a truck chassis with truck running gear. I have looked at Lexus cars in the past, but always bought BMW's as I wanted some feel and I felt the Lexus was too smooth and quiet. It seems the problems may be of perception. I don't doubt that products of any type would have some occasional flaw, but I expect the GX probably has less than the average for sport utes, after all it's aToyota. We bought our '04 in Sept '03 and have 11K miles on it and no complaints or regrets other than rear door swing and useless 3rd row seats.

I would buy another without hestitation.
Old 01-25-04, 08:45 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

hey mogulbumm, howd u get ur creaky seats fixed? d only cure 4 mine is hot weather. over the summer, it went away, then winter came, so did the creaky seats.

Big Ragu, go 4 a new gx. i don't trust used cars, even if their certified pre-owned not unless the vehicle was a demo or a manager used.
Old 01-30-04, 05:43 PM
stockid
Driver School Candidate

Default GX 470

I've had my GX since Sept 03, all I can say is....BUY IT!

Silver GX loaded.
Old 01-31-04, 01:34 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Rx900
hey mogulbumm, howd u get ur creaky seats fixed? d only cure 4 mine is hot weather. over the summer, it went away, then winter came, so did the creaky seats.

Big Ragu, go 4 a new gx. i don't trust used cars, even if their certified pre-owned not unless the vehicle was a demo or a manager used.
Lexus should fix it by greasing the tracks, if you look at the 4 corners of the seat it sits in peaces that are bolted to the floor, seats have to be removed and greased so when the seats move they don't creak, have them do both front seats
Old 02-02-04, 04:34 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by Rx900
They also took out my seats and re-greased the rails like they did with EDGE2. I still had the creak afterwards but it was only when driving and turning to the left (seemed to creak on the inside portion of the driver's side). I was going to mention it on the next service, but it eventually just went away and hasn't returned. Maybe the grease got time to get worked in the rails...