GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

ECU For Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 09:49 AM
TRDRunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU For Charger?

Hi, has anybody seen a replacement ECU for the GX yet? My local Lexus dealer says that the Charger from TRD will fit on the GX but the only thing missing is an ECU change? Anybody hear of anything on this yet?

Does the ECU need to be changed? My 99 4Runner LTD has the same ECU as delivery and it's got over 90,000 miles on it now. I would like to make the jump to Lexus this time but don't think I can live without the charger now :-( the V8 is nice but it definitely doesn't take off like my 4Runner does.

99 LTD 4Runner
TRD 1st Gen Charger
TRD Headers
CAT
High pressure Fuel pump
High flow intake

Thanks!
Lexus wannabe.
Old 01-31-04, 01:07 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the board man, I take it you never been to www.yotatech.com or www.toyota-4runner.org cause then you would know the answer to your question.

I don't know who told you about the ECU but the ECU will reset itself once the SC is on and running and then Premium fuel is a must but you probably know that, everything that is needed is included from TRD the 4th Gen V8 4Runners and the GX's don't have the same issues as the 3rd Gen 4Runners with SC.

Off hand I can think of Biff on the Toy boards who has an SC V8 with no problems, should be no different for your soon to be GX.

A word to the wise, the tech know what their doing but sometimes don't say the right things

What did Lexus quote you on the install, lowest I can find in my area is 5700 and thats with buying the SC from the dealer, I have yet to ask them if I can buy the SC for less online
Old 02-02-04, 12:55 PM
TRDRunner
Driver School Candidate

Hi and thanks for the reply! actually I have been a member and currently active on both forums, I'm on my third 4Runner now and got a lot of help from Gadget with settling my 99 in. I don't have any experience with the Lexus people yet but they said that they could not install the TRD charger do to the ECU on the GX being deferent then the 4 Runner version? So.... never actually got a price for it on the Lexus side but the price on the 4 Runner was $5500 Canadian installed at my Toyota dealer; which incidentally just dropped in price by over $3000 do to our dollar correction! Big change in both vehicle price and the Charger.

I'm still waiting to actually sit inside a GX as they are brand new to Canada this month!

I was hoping for just one person that has had one installed in their GX but doesn't look like it.

P.S. why was my thread moved? And where was moved?

Tom
Old 02-04-04, 09:39 PM
emvanderpol
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the SC installed on my GX, and it does include a piggyback ECU. Runs very nice. See other thread on this subject.

GET ONE! You won't regret it.
Old 02-09-04, 06:13 PM
ColoAndy
Driver School Candidate

Smile GX Supercharger Questions...

Evanderpol, did you drive the gx pre-supercharger. If so, how bout the difference in sound levels within the vehicle? Was it noticeable? Does it bother you at all? I was nervous about spending the money on the install and such without knowing if the sound would bother me. After all I am buying the vehicle in part, because it is quiet.

2. Did you notice its effect on you Mileage? What is the general range of the Vehicle with/without the SC? I do tons of driving between Boulder Colorado and Vail (about 275 miles round trip, often on the same day), I'd hate to have to fill the SUV up on the way home, rather than just blasting home.

Thanks for the information.

Andrew