GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

TRD Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04 | 10:03 PM
emvanderpol
Rookie

Default TRD Supercharger

Does anyone have this installed on their GX? Any impressions?

Just got the supercharger two days ago. I pick up the car Monday. I'll post some thoughts.
Old 02-02-04 | 04:33 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Let me know how it goes and if you got all the additional ecu units for the engine and tranny..thanks
Old 02-02-04 | 11:11 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What is this additional ECU unit,
Old 02-04-04 | 05:30 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Edge..normally with a supercharger install, you will need to do some engine modifications to the timing advance, remap, and tranny shiftpoints -> all done through ECU replacements. Gadget (formed 4Runner owner) did ALOT of work and lots of detail on how to install an older TRD charger -> http://www.gadgetonline.com/super.htm (very good website on problems you could run into)
Old 02-04-04 | 09:07 PM
brent0226
Driver

Is this modification factory warranted?
Old 02-04-04 | 09:15 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Still did not answer my question as to why a V8 4Runner can have the SC bolted on but the identical powertrained GX needs a different ECU with an SC, why I don't understand can someone answer that question, the 3.4L V6 4Runners "3rd Gen" had more issues then expected and thats what gaget covers is the 3rd gen, those issues have been resolved with the V8, the TRD SC is a stand alone performance option for the V8, the 3rd Gen SC is not really a stand alone option, it's only the start of many more performance inhancments, although the 2nd gen SC on the later trucks seem to run fine by themselves.

As for Gadget, I have read every word on his websites but he does not own a 4th Gen.

Just today I took my 4Runner to a new Toy dealer and they will install the SC no problem on the 4Runner or GX, only thing they don't do is warranty work on Lexus vehicles, even the Lexus dealer said it's a direct bolt on, the ECU should reprogram itself.
Old 02-04-04 | 09:26 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Edge

When I was looking into the TRD Supercharger for a 4.7L 4Runner, it was still new and they were guessing new ECU units were needed. The 4.7L is a mature engine, but the superchagers were still being developed by TRD. Honestly, I would be very surprised if the stock ECU can reprogram itself to handle the increase in HP and slight improvement in torque, but hey if the guys are saying no need..then by all means run with it.

I personally don't want a TRD supercharger because I really dont wanna put 300+ horses on the powertrain of the GX. I believe it could handle it, but the superchargers put out a wicked wine that goes against the principles of the GX (imo). However, having 300+ horses at one's disposal in an all wheel drive vehicle does make me smile...could REALLY GIVE THE MB AMG and BMW 4.6L a nice run for the money
Old 02-04-04 | 09:28 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Originally posted by brent0226
Is this modification factory warranted?
Brent, anything installed at the time of purchase is considered to be original parts and will be honored for the life of the vehicle warranty. I think after purchase you get a 1 year warranty? Don't quote me on that, I think Edge could answer that better.
Old 02-04-04 | 09:29 PM
emvanderpol
Rookie

We'll, I've had the SC on the GX470 for about 50-60 miles, and all I can say is WOW. The addition of the SC on the GX does nothing to the warranty, BUT, it has to be installed by a Toyota or Lexus dealer (it doesn't matter which for the warranty). Toyota charged $640.00 for the install, Lexus was going to charge $1,100.00. If you do the install, you only get 12 months of warranty. The install does include an ECU piggyback setup. I've had a few supercharged cars, most recently an Acura NSX (360 rwhp), and am very familer with the install process, as I have done them myself, but I had the Toyota dealer do it to keep the 4 or 5 year powertrain warranty.

There is a slight SC hum under heavy acceleration, but nothing significant. The most noticable difference is the 0-60 acceleration. It adds more torque than HP, I think. But overall very impressed. From a non-tech (wife) perspective there was a night & day difference in acceleration. Feel free to call if you want any more information 760-931-9100

Gene
Old 02-04-04 | 09:33 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

GET THE TRUCK DYNO'D....I WANT NUMBERS

I am really surprised the torque curves moved; I really expected the HP increase from 235 to well over 330+...I'm jealous. Did you do anyting to the tranny to play it safe?
Old 02-04-04 | 09:43 PM
emvanderpol
Rookie

Nothing on the tranny. I really don't think it is necessary. If TRD doesn't suggest it, and if it does nothing to the power train warranty, I'm o.k. with it. My NSX mechanic has a Tundra pickup with the SC, after we did a few runs on the NSX, he put his truck on the Dyno, and was getting 320 rwhp. He didn't get torque numbers, but it should be upward of 400-440 ft.lb's.
Old 02-04-04 | 09:46 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

NICE....now go show up some friggin bimmers and MB-AMGs

That is funny watching a Lex smoke both german and old american muscle cars..gotta love it
Old 02-04-04 | 10:10 PM
brent0226
Driver

And I bet it's nice having AWD with all that power Power's no good if you can't get it to the road!
Old 02-05-04 | 06:47 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by emvanderpol
We'll, I've had the SC on the GX470 for about 50-60 miles, and all I can say is WOW. The addition of the SC on the GX does nothing to the warranty, BUT, it has to be installed by a Toyota or Lexus dealer (it doesn't matter which for the warranty). Toyota charged $640.00 for the install, Lexus was going to charge $1,100.00. If you do the install, you only get 12 months of warranty. The install does include an ECU piggyback setup. I've had a few supercharged cars, most recently an Acura NSX (360 rwhp), and am very familer with the install process, as I have done them myself, but I had the Toyota dealer do it to keep the 4 or 5 year powertrain warranty.

There is a slight SC hum under heavy acceleration, but nothing significant. The most noticable difference is the 0-60 acceleration. It adds more torque than HP, I think. But overall very impressed. From a non-tech (wife) perspective there was a night & day difference in acceleration. Feel free to call if you want any more information 760-931-9100

Gene
How much did the SC cost you?
Old 02-05-04 | 07:25 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Any pics of the SC on the GX and what was the cost of the SC, lowest I found online is 4000 but the dealer wants me to buy theirs and with install it will be like 5700