GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 07:27 PM
cartechpr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys what do you recommend for a high output on highs? i want something that outputs more power on the high beams... i will put the hids on the low beams... i have a 98 ls 400.

and do you recommend xenon depot or getting some OEM hid ballasts and bulbs from ebay?

Last edited by cartechpr; 12-05-05 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 02:54 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I would do HIDS any time

Highs or lows HIDs are better they are just more expensive.
Old 12-06-05, 04:41 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Can we do xenon hi beams? Xenon depot recommended against it

Originally Posted by Tony
Highs or lows HIDs are better they are just more expensive.
I spoke with the guys @ xenon depot and they said that while xenon highs are possible, they recommend against it as such would prevent flash to pass, not to mention too much of a delay when switching from low to high beam and back (there is a lag time). I was told that such would result in premature burnout. They also recommended against changing the stock halogen bulbs--said too many incidents of far too premature burning out.
Old 12-12-05, 10:48 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Jws

I put Sylvania Silverstars in my High beam bulbs and they have worked really well. They are rated at 4300K which is a little yellow but whiter than the factory. Sylvania claims they put out more light than the stock bulbs which I agree they do. I bought them on line for 40 bucks a piece. They are plug and play so easy install, you just pull old bulbs out put new ones in and your done. These bulbs are still halogens just more efficient and whiter.
Old 12-12-05, 11:19 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Puzzled on the aftermarket bulbs like PIAA/Sylvania (more)

I put Sylvania Silverstars in my High beam bulbs and they have worked really well. They are rated at 4300K which is a little yellow but whiter than the factory. Sylvania claims they put out more light than the stock bulbs which I agree they do. I bought them on line for 40 bucks a piece. They are plug and play so easy install, you just pull old bulbs out put new ones in and your done. These bulbs are still halogens just more efficient and whiter.
Here is why I am puzzled- the gys at xenondepot pretty much suggested we NOT buy them due to excessive and premature burning out. Also, Consumer Reports recent issue had a short blurb on them and noted tht for the most part they actually have less light output. Hmmmm..... Wish we had a definitive answer.
Old 12-21-05, 11:16 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Tony:

You are the guru on this HID kit install. Would this DIY guide work on the LX ? I just bought a 2003 LX470 and I find it in bad need of HID. I am about to order the kit from XenonDepot, but gotta find out if it'll work for mine as it obviously did for you guys with the GX. Pls let me know soonest. I cannot wait to change out my Halogen craps for HIDs. HIDs rule !!!
Old 12-21-05, 03:38 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Bluestar the best guy to ask is Steve

Steve from Xenondepot.com can tell you if it will work or not but really its pretty simple.

If you have a H11, 9005, 9006 bulb then the kit will work on any car because the xenondepot kit is plug and play to any factory standard harness. The hardest part or the part that takes the most time is running the wires through the engine and finding places to mount the components. You should have more room in your engine compartment than the GX so it should be rather easy.

To bad you dont live in Vegas I would help you.

Last edited by Tony; 12-21-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 03:44 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Jws3

Sylvania is a very big company and the Silverstars are very reliable. I have had mine for 1 year with no issues but you have to remember how much do you use your brights? With the HIDS as low beam I rarely have to use my high beams except to read street signs that are higher up. I put Silverstars on my driving lights and they are on all the time. None of my original silverstars have burned out and I honestly think they are 10-20% brighter than factory. Not as good as HIDS.
Old 12-29-05, 02:32 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Steve from Xenondepot.com can tell you if it will work or not but really its pretty simple.

If you have a H11, 9005, 9006 bulb then the kit will work on any car because the xenondepot kit is plug and play to any factory standard harness. The hardest part or the part that takes the most time is running the wires through the engine and finding places to mount the components. You should have more room in your engine compartment than the GX so it should be rather easy.

To bad you dont live in Vegas I would help you.
Just ordered the H1 6000k HID kit from XD for my LOW beam on the LX. But doubting if I bought the right kit, instead of the 4300k. How much more bluish is the 6000k relative to the 4300k ? Does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of the 4300k v 6000k HID output on their GX ? Would be nice to actually see how they each look under similar conditions at night....

Thanks

Last edited by bluestar; 12-29-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 03:31 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Bluestar

Hey Bluestar If you ordered the 4300k kit you wont be disappointed it is white center with yellowish white around the edges of the beam pattern. Its definitely better than the halogens and puts out 20 percent more lumens than the 6000k kit.

Dont worry about it keep the 4300k kit.

I have had 4300k, 5000k and now 6000k

6000k has a white blue center with small tint of blueish purple around the edges looks really cool. You loose some lumens but pick up more luminescence when the light hits the reflectors on signs and road markers they light up more for me any ways.

I could go either way so dont sweat it.

On side angles the 4300k kit looks like OEM halogens until you look at the center of the light then you know they are HIDS.

6000 K you can tell they are white with blue and slight purple from sides and know right away they are HIDs.

Last edited by Tony; 12-29-05 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 03:36 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Bluestar

Oops I just re read your post. The 6000k is really good you wont be dissapointed. It looks like the Audi lights. Light output is still way better than halogens. Im really happy with my 6000k bulbs and so are all the others that bought 6000k kit.
Old 01-09-06, 02:20 PM
lexxtasy
Driver

With our projector lenses we have the same cool effect as the BMWs, Audis, etc. In fact my wife asked me why it was white then purple then blue as I was coming up the street and I knew right away I got the effect I
wanted. The projector lenses refract the white blue beam from the 6000k bulbs changing colors around the edge of the projector lenses which is awesome. Light out put is phenomenal. I am very happy with this upgrade and dam pissed that we did not get it from Lexus from the begining. I now feel my GX is a true luxury car with these lights on them.
Are the projector lenses in the '03-'06 LX470s similar to the GX470s... I mean what Im trying to say is if an upgrade is made to the headlamps from factory to XD 6000k HID will it create the same effect you are referring to which your wife noticed....
Old 04-21-06, 06:06 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes. Please check your connections. I would also try swapping the components left to right to see if you can troubleshoot and see where the problem is stemming from.

Please email me for further assistance info@xenondepot.com

Regards,

Steve
Old 04-23-06, 11:07 PM
mkool
Rookie

I just curious that I heard OEM xenon projector lens and OEM halogen projector lens are different so outcome is different. Is it right? or Wrong?

Another my idea is if you can find same size as OEM Lexus low beam's lens for OEM xenon projector lens and install into GX than when you turn the XenonDepot 6000k kit's light on, Would it make better light control and better light output too? Is it possible at all?
Old 04-24-06, 07:30 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default The XD kit is essentially plug and play- No need

Originally Posted by mkool
I just curious that I heard OEM xenon projector lens and OEM halogen projector lens are different so outcome is different. Is it right? or Wrong?

Another my idea is if you can find same size as OEM Lexus low beam's lens for OEM xenon projector lens and install into GX than when you turn the XenonDepot 6000k kit's light on, Would it make better light control and better light output too? Is it possible at all?
to modify anything. Cutoff is pefect and works great. Don't go w/ the 6000K kit- Not enough light. 4300 is whiter, brighter and more importantly, provides much much light.

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide