GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 03:52 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkool
To. JWS3 and llcc1975,

Finally I got my kit right now. Awesome.
I downloaded the instruction from xenondepot but I have a few questions...Like I have 4pc of bracket. How do you mount with ballast? And did you plug all wire to ballast b4 mount the bracket or after?
If you take some pics it would be great help.

Thx.
4 bracket pieces? That doesn't sound familiar. Here's what I got. The 2 bulbs, the 2 ballasts, the 2 relays, the 2 igniters, the 2 wiring harnesses, the 2 "T" shaped metal brackets, the 2 rectangle metal brackets (with the protrusion to accomodate the wiring inputs on the ballast), and finally a bag of screws.

Sorry, I'm so bad with pictures, I just took mine apart again yesterday to put on the brackets but failed to take pix. Do you have pix of these 4 brackets?
Old 07-31-06, 04:52 PM
mkool
Rookie

Oh What I mean is the 2 "T" shaped metal brackets, the 2 rectangle metal brackets. How did you mount with ballasts?
Sorry, my bad English.

Here is pic.

Last edited by mkool; 07-31-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 06:17 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Hmmmm... My brackets were a bit different than (m)

Oh What I mean is the 2 "T" shaped metal brackets, the 2 rectangle metal brackets. How did you mount with ballasts?
Sorry, my bad English.

Here is pic.

what I see here. I seem to recall having only one.
However, it looks like the left bracket goes on AFTER the wire is in. The "cut out" at the upper right corner likely fits over the rubber boot and forces it down when the screws (2 at the top & 1 at the bottom) are tightened. The "T" shaped bracket is a mystery, but my best guess is that its an attachment bracket. See how the "T"' screw holes match up with the brackets? I'll bet that one can attach this bracket to the car & then attach the ballast to the bracket. Or, perhaps its a backing plate of sorts to help hold the screw in.

I may be blind, but where on the XD site are the downloadable instructions? Do you have a link? Perhaps I might be able to decipher it. Did you call XD? They are generally very helpful and then some.

Hope this all helps.

Jim
Old 07-31-06, 06:37 PM
mkool
Rookie

http://www.xenondepot.com/images/Manualls/xdman.pdf
above link is all I got for manual. doesn't say much about the installation. Said how to connect between ballast, igniter and bulbs. With cautions. That's it.
That is why I askin what's up with barckets.

Question;
1. on passinger side, where can I connect negative line to?
Old 07-31-06, 07:39 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

http://www.xenondepot.com/images/Manualls/xdman.pdf
above link is all I got for manual. doesn't say much about the installation. Said how to connect between ballast, igniter and bulbs. With cautions. That's it.
That is why I askin what's up with barckets.

Question;
1. on passinger side, where can I connect negative line to?
mkool - yes, the U-shaped brackets (with the protrusion -- that's the best way I know how to describe it) are made to go on TOP of the ballast AFTER you have inserted both plugs into the receptacles. One bracket per ballast. The protrusion on the bracket slides over and braces the orange plug wire.

The T-shaped brackets are a mystery to me also. I tried playing with it for almost 15 minutes and could not figure out how they attached. I'll echo what JWS3 said in that it could just be an additional piece that is used for mounting flexibility. I did NOT use the T brackets however, and just inserted my zipties through the space that was left in between the bracket and the ballast itself when they are screwed together (you'll see what I'm talking about) as when you install the brackets, any open screw holes (which I originally used to insert my zipties through) will be used up for the bracket itself.

As for instructions, my kit, like yours did not include any sort of instructions. The only thing that came close was the URL link to that PDF from their website.

As for where to connect the ground on the passenger side, I'm not sure what year your GX is, mine is a 2005 and I had a home run grounding bolt (with a bunch of other wires coming into it) that is right on the inside panel (about same position as the same type of bolt that's on the drivers side). In fact they look identical.

Last edited by llcc1975; 07-31-06 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 08:34 PM
mkool
Rookie

To. JWS3 and llcc1975,

Thank you both of you helped me out for installation......I'm done installation, now I have a XENON HID LIGHT....

It's kinda earily to see full light output but nonetheless it looks awesome...
Did I mention that I got a 6k Xenon light?? hehe~
It's just like my BMW, and M-Benz's HID light....

And Steve, thanks all your service...I love your kit, I recommend everyone whom want the HID.

Thank you, Xenon Depot
Old 08-01-06, 06:14 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

If anyone would like pictures of how to install the brakcets please email me and I will gladly forward them to you.

Cap,

HIDs operate on less power however upon startup they do draw significantly more power. This is why we prefer to power the ballasts directly from the battery as opposed to the OEM headlight harness.

Steve
Old 08-01-06, 10:20 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

To. JWS3 and llcc1975,

Thank you both of you helped me out for installation......I'm done installation, now I have a XENON HID LIGHT....

It's kinda earily to see full light output but nonetheless it looks awesome...
Did I mention that I got a 6k Xenon light?? hehe~
It's just like my BMW, and M-Benz's HID light....

And Steve, thanks all your service...I love your kit, I recommend everyone whom want the HID.

Thank you, Xenon Depot
Congrats mkool. It's a pretty cool think to have I'll have to agree. I also got the 6k kit per Steve's recommendation and I'm pretty happy with it. Ironically, since I've installed the kit (last week), I have not driven at night but once for a 5 minute trip to the video store. Go figure.
Old 08-01-06, 11:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

HI Cap,

The kits are not Lexus specific. They are fitment specific.

Steve
Old 08-02-06, 12:32 PM
whyjay91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Capirato
Steve.....

The extra draw in power is only momentarily. The HIDs in my GX are powered directly from the OEM harness. Have had absolutely no problems for almost three years.

~ Cap

So do you have the XD kit installed but are somehow powering them from the OEM harness vs. the battery?

What's your setup. I'd like to know if there's an easier, proven, solution.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-06, 11:59 PM
mkool
Rookie

To. Steve,

I have some questions.

1. When I turn my HID light on, I hear sound from the ballast. Is it normal?
2. When I drive over the bump (small or big), I see, light is flickering(sp?) once (depands on how many bumps I passin). Is it normal?

Thx

Last edited by mkool; 08-04-06 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 05:11 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I am not Steve, but a hum on start up I believe is normal. (m)

To. Steve,

I have some questions.

1. When I turn my HID light on, I hear sound from the ballast. Is it normal?
2. When I drive over the bump (small or big), I see, light is flickering(sp?) once (depands on how many bumps I passin). Is it normal?

Thx
Flickering, however, is not. Sounds like a loose connection, which can very quickly burn out a bulb.
Suggest you call him directly. There is a ph number on the web site.
Old 08-04-06, 05:19 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi mkool ,

I would double check all your connections. Flickering is not normal.

Steve
Old 08-04-06, 12:20 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi mkool ,

I would double check all your connections. Flickering is not normal.

Steve
I don't think that mine flickers either. I'm going on a 750 mile road trip today (well actually tonight - will be driving through the night) and I'll see if I have any issues like that also.
Old 08-06-06, 10:45 AM
CBMiller18
Driver School Candidate

XenonDepot 6000k HID light conversion complete...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just put these in my '99 RX300 last night and wow, they are awesome! Very bright!

Although, I must say the 9006 lights for low beams don't seem to fit into the 9006 slot on the vehicle like the factory lights do. There are 3 grooves (2 bigger ones and 1 smaller one) on each light, just like factory, and I can seem to get 2 in the slots when I put the lights in, but the 3rd doesn't want to fit in correctly. Therefore, they are not secure and "snapped into place" how the factory 9006 lights do.

I can get them in wedged in, where 2 grooves are in, but the 3rd is kinda sticking out, and I think this causes my lights to be shining up higher and on the trees a little bit more than they should. I can literally see drivers oncoming inside their vehichles...and I know that is not right.

Anyone have any suggestions since these lights are not fitting in how they should? I know they are the right size. Has anyone installed these 9006 6000k Xenondepot Xenon lights in their vehicle?

I posted this in the RX300 forum but no one can really help there. I don't think anyone has installed them in the 99 RX300 model.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide