GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Driveshaft - thump gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 02:37 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

retorq does not affect the bump/thump. It comes with the GX/4runner at no extra charge . Hey guys this thing is a real 4x4 body on frame AWD vehicle. It will thump/bump for the next 300K+ miles and never be a problem. I think some of you need to stick to cars.
Old 09-06-04, 03:03 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PitBull
retorq does not affect the bump/thump. It comes with the GX/4runner at no extra charge . Hey guys this thing is a real 4x4 body on frame AWD vehicle. It will thump/bump for the next 300K+ miles and never be a problem. I think some of you need to stick to cars.
i haven't really tried any other SUV before(used to have all cars or vans) but once in a while i'd rent a SUV, seems like they don't get the thump at all! so it's just a Lexus problem, i guess?!?!?!
Old 09-06-04, 05:04 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Rx900
i haven't really tried any other SUV before(used to have all cars or vans) but once in a while i'd rent a SUV, seems like they don't get the thump at all! so it's just a Lexus problem, i guess?!?!?!
I had it on my 95 Toyota Landcruiser and it was common. Most LC owners even the new 100 series have the bump. It is caused by the take up of slack in the drive train. Just keep it greased and it will last longer than you want to own the vehicle. I understand that if you are not use to AWD trucks that it takes some getting use too. First time it happen to me with my 95 FZJ80 Landcruiser, I thought someone had bumped into the rear of me (no one was there). Talked to several other owners and it was common. I think that Lexus/Toyota should let owners know that this may happen from time to time and not to worry. I've owned Porsche 944,911, 928S4, Mercedes SL's, Lexus SC400,LS400, ES300, Acura NSX. Trucks Toyota SR5 4x4, Toyota Landcruiser, Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Turbo diesel. Got to say that the Lexus/Toyota's were the most dependable, just fluids and filters brake pads, per the owners manual. Never owned a BMW alway heard they were not dependable? I guess if the thump/bump bothers you sell it and get what you want.
Old 09-14-04, 09:39 AM
lexite
Driver

When I dropped off my truck for 15k mi service, as always I complained about rear thump. I did not expect them to fix it by any means, and anyhow I got used to of this weird behavior at braking to complete stop that I more or less stopped bothering about it.

Went to pickup my truck after service yesterday. I was told that my drive shaft was replaced that I saw in the service paperwork as well.

NOW this truck drives like a true Lexus LUV with no thump so far. Driveline vibrations have certainly diminished, if still there. or at least I feel that way. So far I have driven only about 50 miles since pickup, but it has been the most pleasure to drive this truck after this service. I know most of you have compains of the thump/clunk coming back. But I'll keep my fingers crossed and would enjoy every bit of the ride while it lasts. Anyway, if it comes back I won't mind stopping by the service for lube more frequently, if that helps.

BTW, after driving the loaner RX330 for almost 2 days, I could hardly wait to get back into my GX. I like it that much !
Old 10-13-04, 12:51 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Don't mean to pizz anyone off... (not really that I care much =) BUT... there seems to be a whole lot of
"Bishin' & Moanin" in this thread about a truck that I personally enjoy immensely. I too have the thump, going to the dealership tomorrow to look into the new drivetrain.. However, my goodness people - timeout on the sweeping generalizations! Lexus is OBVIOUSLY a great company that in general makes great vehicles with low incident of problems... I mean just look at all the JD Powers stats and reliability numbers... Facts are facts no matter what individual preferences we all have. So your having a problem with your GX... ITS A CAR !!! All cars have SOME problems.... BMWs, MBs, RRs, etc.. included. However, time and again, Lexus proves to have the LEAST overall.. To say that your individual problem indicates Lexus' lack of quality and/or commitment to customer service is just plain short sided IMO. I mean, you really have to just totally ignore the facts! So to imply that those who like the GX or Lexus' service are in some way "ignorant'' sounds to me rather... well, ignorant =) Anyway.. we all have had difficulty with dealerships and vehicles ...and my dissatisfaction with a particular company does not mean that company is not wonderful in general or at least wonderful to the next guy. Does it matter that I think BMW service sucks to a guy who gets great service from BMW? Let's keep our ranting in check folks... and use this forum for what it is intended... Constructive communication amongst individuals with similar interests... {stepping down off soapbox} For the record... I love my GX...few issues, but overall...Great vehicle. If you don't like yours... spend your money on something different.
Old 10-13-04, 07:12 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GXLUV
Don't mean to pizz anyone off... (not really that I care much =) BUT... there seems to be a whole lot of
"Bishin' & Moanin" in this thread about a truck that I personally enjoy immensely. I too have the thump, going to the dealership tomorrow to look into the new drivetrain.. However, my goodness people - timeout on the sweeping generalizations! Lexus is OBVIOUSLY a great company that in general makes great vehicles with low incident of problems... I mean just look at all the JD Powers stats and reliability numbers... Facts are facts no matter what individual preferences we all have. So your having a problem with your GX... ITS A CAR !!! All cars have SOME problems.... BMWs, MBs, RRs, etc.. included. However, time and again, Lexus proves to have the LEAST overall.. To say that your individual problem indicates Lexus' lack of quality and/or commitment to customer service is just plain short sided IMO. I mean, you really have to just totally ignore the facts! So to imply that those who like the GX or Lexus' service are in some way "ignorant'' sounds to me rather... well, ignorant =) Anyway.. we all have had difficulty with dealerships and vehicles ...and my dissatisfaction with a particular company does not mean that company is not wonderful in general or at least wonderful to the next guy. Does it matter that I think BMW service sucks to a guy who gets great service from BMW? Let's keep our ranting in check folks... and use this forum for what it is intended... Constructive communication amongst individuals with similar interests... {stepping down off soapbox} For the record... I love my GX...few issues, but overall...Great vehicle. If you don't like yours... spend your money on something different.
First off, you have not pissed me off, and secondly, that is nice that you love your GX and hey, I am happy for you. However....

What gets old, is people like you who think it is ok to defend Mfgs who put out shotty products and not be accountable for them.

Yes, Lexus in general is a great company, however even the mighty Lexus screwed up on the GX and I believe the buying public has a right to complain about a product that did not live up to expectations.

The plain and simple FACT is that the GX470 was released before it was ready to be released and all Lexus has been doing about the driveline issues thus far is band-aid fixes.

I have been going round and round with my driveline issues. Lexus is just now acknowledging that they have a major driveline problem on the GX (and LX for that matter), in fact Lexus has just made my GX a case study because it is such a wide spread problem.

Land Rover also has a full time 4WD coupled with the torsen center differencial and they are not having clunking and thumping issues.

While VW has some issues on its Touareg, it is a full time 4wd and it does not have driveline thumping issues.

I think it is not only advisable to complain about issues on a vehicle, it is our right to make Mfgs responsible for their products, especially when you are paying $50,000 +

Change happens BECAUSE people complain, do you really think that Lexus would be addressing this issue if nobody complained about it? No, of course not. Afterall they are a business too and businesses are all about maximizing profits.
Old 10-13-04, 07:52 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

This thump is not a "PROBLEM" with the GX/LX, it might be an irritation to the uneducated 4x4/AWD truck owner. This thump will never cause your truck to break down. I know Landcruiser owners that have several hundred thousand miles on their vehicles that have had the thump for years. It is slop in the driveline and it is normal in a heavy duty AWD vehicle. My vehicle does it on average once every couple of weeks, not a big deal. If it's an irritation for you I would sell your ride and get one of those Landrovers that you say don't have this condition. Problem is that you will be doing more walking if you own a Landrover, because it might not thump but it also might not run. JMHO
Old 10-14-04, 08:06 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by GX470forme
First off, you have not pissed me off, and secondly, that is nice that you love your GX and hey, I am happy for you. However....

What gets old, is people like you who think it is ok to defend Mfgs who put out shotty products and not be accountable for them.

Yes, Lexus in general is a great company, however even the mighty Lexus screwed up on the GX and I believe the buying public has a right to complain about a product that did not live up to expectations.

The plain and simple FACT is that the GX470 was released before it was ready to be released and all Lexus has been doing about the driveline issues thus far is band-aid fixes.

I have been going round and round with my driveline issues. Lexus is just now acknowledging that they have a major driveline problem on the GX (and LX for that matter), in fact Lexus has just made my GX a case study because it is such a wide spread problem.

Land Rover also has a full time 4WD coupled with the torsen center differencial and they are not having clunking and thumping issues.

While VW has some issues on its Touareg, it is a full time 4wd and it does not have driveline thumping issues.

I think it is not only advisable to complain about issues on a vehicle, it is our right to make Mfgs responsible for their products, especially when you are paying $50,000 +

Change happens BECAUSE people complain, do you really think that Lexus would be addressing this issue if nobody complained about it? No, of course not. Afterall they are a business too and businesses are all about maximizing profits.
Change happens because people complain to THE DEALERSHIP.. to Lexus Corp...not other people who are in the same boat. The point of my post was that people are implying that because of an unresolved issue of personal irritation... that somehow indicates the company isn't living up to expectations. Who's expectations? I'm not saying dont complain to the dealership and get your issues resolved.. im saying dont make sweeping generalizations. That is and always will be a recipe for ignorance and inaccuracy. Also, you seem to be a bit dellusional if you think that ^ Price equals exclusion from human error. What you are paying for is LESS ERROR. Have you never heard of the myriad of billion dollar NASA rockets blowing up? Have you never noticed that the relatively high priced MB lines consistantly have high incidents of problems? I guess you think Bentleys, and Lambo's don't have problems either because they are high dollar? (Not to mention that to the guys buying THOSE vehicles, your LUV is equivilent to a YUGO - pricewise). It is all relative. Now, Im no Lexus cheerleader here, and I have owned various brand high end cars, motorcycles, etc.. Bottom line, they all have problems.... Get them fixed, buy something else, do what you need to do. Just don't whine like a little girl because you feel spending $50,000 bucks on a vehicle gains you entrance into some type of mysterious, elite club of "perfection". Again, its all relative... Not saying 50 K is anything to sneeze at....Alot of people will never be able to afford these vehicles... but owning one does not necessarily exclude you from the same issues . The motto is: Relentless PURSUIT of perfection. PURSUIT... Do you mean to imply you would be satisfied with a $15K truck with a drivetrain thump? Do you cry to all your friends because your wife (who I would hope is valued more than your truck) begins acting crazy? (I dunno... perhaps yes... 2 each is own) Point is... Pull your skirt up.. and quit acting like a kid who got beat up alot in highschool. State the problem.... Address the issues... Pursue a fix... or buy another vehicle. Most of us are here to find out about problems and fixes.... not babysit. Enjoy your day.
Old 10-14-04, 08:45 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by GXLUV
Just don't whine like a little girl because you feel spending $50,000 bucks on a vehicle .....
Point is... Pull your skirt up.. and quit acting like a kid who got beat up alot in highschool.
Speechless.
Old 10-14-04, 08:47 AM
beezy21
Driver School Candidate

Post Umm...speaking of sweeping generalizations

Hey GX LUV,
Do you have something against little girls? I noticed in your last post you told GX470forme to "quit whining like a little girl." You better watch your back, those girl scouts can be vicious when provoked.......
Old 10-14-04, 08:51 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

An example that this is not a problem and is really an irritation. Lexus dealers and Lexus is addressing your thump issue and replacing driveshafts, etc. If you go on the Toyota 4runner site, www.toyota-4runner.org you will find that Toyota dealers are telling customers that this irritation is a characteristic of the truck and is not a problem they will address. Now both vehicles are made on the same assembly line in Japan and have the same drivetrain. The reason Lexus is messing with it is because they want to address their customers irritations. Same thing with the harmonic's that some feel at certain speeds in their steering wheel, Lexus has a tsb to address this harmonic, Toyota doesn't and they state it is a characteristic of the vehicle. Both irritations will not affect the performance of the vehicle but it might affect the enjoyment of the vehicle based on customer perception. I think that Lexus sees this and feels that the GX470 is a LUV and is trying to address these issues with customers that are not happy. I think Toyota feels that the 4runner is a truck based SUV and their buyers need to understand that these issues are part of the experience when you have a truck based SUV. I think the owners that don't like these irritations have a right to complain and ask for them to be corrected. The problem is that since these irritations may not be able to be corrected and then the ownership experience will be negative. I think Lexus is making a mistake trying to "fix" this irritation, they are setting everyone up for failure. The only correct way to address these issues would be to redesign or try to change the image of the GX470 from a LUV to one that the 4runner enjoys as a tough off road SUV. The demographic that buys these vehicles is different and has different expectations. JMHO
Old 10-14-04, 09:43 AM
geewiss
Rookie

A "characteristic of the truck ", that has got to be the best one yet!!

When I test drove the truck this thump was not present. The dealer did not disclose this information nor did it say that this thump would occur on the sticker.

Come on do you really believe that???
Old 10-14-04, 11:25 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys and girls yall need to simmer down about this.. the new drive shaft fixes the problem.. lexus makes every vehicle a case study.. hell i even have one going on my gx for the leaning... with this being said yes the gx like the lx and the landcruiser are all built on roughly the same platform.. and yes its a truck not a luxury car that your used to.. vehicles that lexus converts from the toyota line take a while to get upto par with the true lexus brand.. we can see this indefinatly with the lx... first it was the land cruiser then came the lx 450 and then the lx 470 .. as the gx will also go though the same changes.. the drive train indeed needs some slack to account for suspension travel..or so thats what my dealer said... and yes its a known issue.. if you have a problem with your vehicle and do not like it.. hire a litigator to help you get your vehicle bought back by lexus..
Old 10-14-04, 12:35 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by super_cjc
Speechless.
yeah.. I tend to leave em that way Exactly the effect I was going for.... you seem to have left out the most important quote from my post however......."Don't mean to pizz anyone off... (not really that I care much =)" There, much better.

Last edited by GXLUV; 10-14-04 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 12:50 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Default Re: Umm...speaking of sweeping generalizations

Originally posted by beezy21
Hey GX LUV,
Do you have something against little girls? I noticed in your last post you told GX470forme to "quit whining like a little girl." You better watch your back, those girl scouts can be vicious when provoked.......
lol.. not at all. I was just being "expressive" ... and there's nothing like metaphor to get a point across Your right about those girl scouts though... im still pulling cookie boxes from '97 out of the pantry ! What's the shelf-life of a Thin Mint anyway ???

Quick Reply: New Driveshaft - thump gone