GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New SUV from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-04, 11:33 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New SUV from Lexus

According to the Danny Clements speech I posted in the Car Chat area, it looks like a new SUV will be launched this year.

Here's a clip

Another example of product diversification is in the Lexus SUV lineup - the most complete in the luxury market.
Today, Lexus dominates the segment with more than one in four luxury SUVs sold bearing the Lexus nameplate, and our RX 330 is the #1 luxury sport utility in the market.

Nearly every buyer can already find the features and price point he or she is seeking in our RX, GX and LX sport utilities.
Nevertheless, we will add a fourth SUV to our lineup this year...offering even more selection.
Old 04-09-04, 11:41 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Despite how he said it, it has to be the Hybrid he is referring to. It's an RX also, but still.
Old 04-10-04, 03:03 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX400H is in addition to, not in replace of, our current RX330. And we consider it "new", so that is probably why Denny Clements puts it like that in his speeches. Also, a few months ago I was told that there would only be a small production percentage. Something really low like about 30% or close to that. Of course, all the dealerships around here are trying real hard to up that number. It should be 100% in my opinion. And just yesterday I read in the L.A. Times newspaper that they are going to allow Hybrids to drive in the car pool lane, which will be a huge bonus for all Hybrids because you can't do that now and it sucks. Combine that with a $2,000 tax deduct and great gas mileage, throw in a pine tree and a fat guy in a red suit and you've got Christmas! WOO HOO.

(Mods, sorry for the long explaination on the RX400H on the GX forum. Please feel free to move this.)

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 04-10-04 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-10-04, 05:34 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

RX 400h is a good car, but...

Anything change for the 2005 GX?
Old 04-10-04, 05:37 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The prius has a year and a half waiting list here, if the hybrid RX is in anyways that popular then they will up the production.

Only thing I wonder is how long does it take to recap the initial cost by spending the extra for the hybrid, leasing it would be a complete waste cause after 3 years you still really did not make back anything on gas, but you spent the extra for a hybrid, also changing the oil every 5k is a waste if you drive around with just the electric motor, have they changed the maintenance schedule
Old 04-11-04, 03:01 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally posted by DavidsGX
RX 400h is a good car, but...

Anything change for the 2005 GX?

No, not that I'm aware of.
Old 04-12-04, 12:46 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
The prius has a year and a half waiting list here, if the hybrid RX is in anyways that popular then they will up the production.

Only thing I wonder is how long does it take to recap the initial cost by spending the extra for the hybrid, leasing it would be a complete waste cause after 3 years you still really did not make back anything on gas, but you spent the extra for a hybrid, also changing the oil every 5k is a waste if you drive around with just the electric motor, have they changed the maintenance schedule
The gas engine will still continue to work, though not as much I gather. You make a good point. With much less usage per mileage on the gas engine, the maintenance should be extended out.
Old 04-13-04, 04:28 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Waitinglist

Because of the increasing gas prices and the enduring American infatuation with the SUV, it may be very prudent to put your name down on the list to purchase an RX330h. Nothing beats speculation for a product that will be in high demand...... Who knows..... that $500 refundable deposit can turn into a couple of thousand if you decide to sell your spot on Ebay
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-04, 04:39 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

While getting yourself on some sort of waiting list is a good idea, since the deposit is 100% refundable.....we do not accept people who "sell" their turn in line for a car. That is completely unethical. Especially by trying to sell their spot on Ebay. Also, we never charge a premium for a "hot" car. Nor do we put on extra dealer install equipment and charge an enormous amount for them by forcing people to buy it as is. This has always been Longo's policy. Did I miss out on some large commision vouchers in the past because of this rule? Yes. Was I a little annoyed when I heard what some salespeople were making at other delaerships? Yes. Did I get over it when my customers expressed gratitude for me being more honest about the buying process? Yes. Did most of these customers become my loyal customers for life? Definately. How would you feel if you were a legit buyer and you found out your place in line wasn't really realistic because people were making money off of you or because the dealer was selling cars to the higherst bidder? You'd probably be pretty angry, and with every right.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 04-13-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 05:35 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

What I was describing is a very common practice. A very extreme example of this is the $350,000 US amount that a dealership is charging over the MSRP for a "first position" pick of a 2004 Mercedes McLaren SLR. Mind you, this 6-figure amount does not include the price of the car which is close to a half million dollars. The take home message is: if a car is hot enough, and if you have it, you can charge whatever u want for it. Of course, this sucks for the buyer, but that is the beauty of capitalism: demand vs supply and getting rich from it. Oh, btw, to that Longo Lexus Dealer.... how is ur co-worker, Daniel M..... he could have earned a purchase from me if he wasn't so pushy and annoying. For being a "high volume" dealer, I guess you have to be. And don't try to discuss ethics.... those are the first to go when your selling something, which usually includes selling your soul. But I do know that there are genuinely good dealers out there, but they are few and far between and usually don't last too long in the field.

cyberflip
Old 04-14-04, 09:18 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Cyberflip9,

I don't want this to turn into a major debate, so I will keep this short. You do not know me so do not assume I am without ethics just because I sell cars. I love my job and working with people. I am friends with and continue to speak with a great many of my clients. Regarding Longo Lexus's policy about not charging over MSRP for a hot car, you can ask anyone around, everybody knows we don't do that.

And Daniel Mac is doing great! He is one of our top sales guys at the dealership.

Oh and by the way, I am a 2x Lexus owner, I don't think I would drive anything else even if I wasn't selling Lexus. And I have been with Lexus since 1993, a little over 11 years. That is uncommon in the auto industry, but very common with Lexus people.

(Mods, apologies for getting way off topic here.)

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 04-14-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 05:33 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I agree with the post above that production should be 100%. If they did indeed make the power in the hybrid comparable to the gas version, why in the world would you NOT want the hybrid?
Old 04-15-04, 08:48 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Longo Lexus
Just face it your a car salesman, they have a reputation and for just reason you fall into it, your dealer may not hike the price on cars but I know of several Lexus dealers that where taking 10k down on GX470 when they where brand new, same with the RX and the same is happening right now with the next GS.

Also take everything with a grain of salt this is the internet, you could be a great guy but that don't come across, Im willing to bet you smoke and drink coffee and always have colonge on
Old 04-17-04, 12:21 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

EDGE2,

Haha. Yes, sometimes I forget to not take everything so seriously. But I cannot help getting annoyed when there is useless "advice" handed out by young 23 year olds still in school. For some reason though I had always thought that you were at a Lexus dealership in New York. No? I could have sworn I read that somewhere previously a few months back. Perhaps I got you confused with someone else. And you were a little off the mark on the description of me, by the way. I am a salesperson, not a salesman. And while I do smoke an occasional cigarrette after a good meal, I rarely drink coffee, and I never wear cologne, but I do wear perfume.
Old 04-17-04, 01:53 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Longo Lexus
And you were a little off the mark on the description of me, by the way. I am a salesperson, not a salesman. And while I do smoke an occasional cigarrette after a good meal, I rarely drink coffee, and I never wear cologne, but I do wear perfume.
LOL. Made me grin on that one E!

Quick Reply: New SUV from Lexus