GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need help with Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 06:16 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start assistance needed

Has anyone put the electric start system on their GX? If so how do they bypass the chip?

Last edited by Johnny Mo; 04-19-04 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 03:05 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

You mean remote start, then looknow is your man
Old 04-17-04, 07:10 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Sorry bout that. I do mean remote start. What do you mean by looknow is my man?
Old 04-17-04, 09:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

looknow12 is a member on this board with a GX, he has not been in here so PM him and ask him, he has remote start
Old 04-19-04, 07:13 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a remote starter in my gx. i did not do it myself, but the place i took it to had to use my valet key. there is something out now that my guy wanted to use on my truck that can actually bypass the chip (so you don't need a key), but he wasn't able to get it to work on mine. i can get you the info on it if you're interested. most places just use a key.
Old 04-19-04, 07:51 AM
geewiss
Rookie

They use the key? What do you mean? The remote starter is programmed into the key so that we do not have to carry a remote?
Old 04-19-04, 08:30 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Remote Start

There are a couple ways to do remote start.

1) To use your existing key and a remote start kit that uses a series of lock/unlock commands to activate the remote start - (Not very effective, as the range is limited to the Lexus key fob's effective range)

2) You can use a remote start kit that has a separate remote control, and longer range BUT you lose a few things when this happens, you can not use your lexus key to open the doors while the remote start is activated, and this is a bigger one, the steering wheel auto tilt up-away/down-in no longer functions, you need to press the memeory buttons on the car everytime you get in during a remote start.

In either of the remote start scenarios you need to bypass the vehicles transponder, there are at least 2 ways to do that, - one is to bury a key (usually the valet key) up under the dash somewhere, or two you can get a transponder bypass kit...problem with that option is, if it ever goes you are HOSED, the car won't start even with the key.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-04, 08:55 AM
geewiss
Rookie

Default Re: Remote Start

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
There are a couple ways to do remote start.

1) To use your existing key and a remote start kit that uses a series of lock/unlock commands to activate the remote start - (Not very effective, as the range is limited to the Lexus key fob's effective range)

2) You can use a remote start kit that has a separate remote control, and longer range BUT you lose a few things when this happens, you can not use your lexus key to open the doors while the remote start is activated, and this is a bigger one, the steering wheel auto tilt up-away/down-in no longer functions, you need to press the memeory buttons on the car everytime you get in during a remote start.

In either of the remote start scenarios you need to bypass the vehicles transponder, there are at least 2 ways to do that, - one is to bury a key (usually the valet key) up under the dash somewhere, or two you can get a transponder bypass kit...problem with that option is, if it ever goes you are HOSED, the car won't start even with the key.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the very usefull information but i still have a question. In your two scenarios of bypassing the transponder, you basically "turn off" the security function of the chip? Is this a correct statement?

Thanks again....
Old 04-19-04, 10:09 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
and this is a bigger one, the steering wheel auto tilt up-away/down-in no longer functions, you need to press the memeory buttons on the car everytime you get in during a remote start.
Hope that helps.
ACTUALLY, this is NOT true. if you got a remote starter and they didn't do it right, i would complain!

you will still have this functionallity. as with anything, be picky about where you bring your vehicle! when mine was first installed, my electronics guy didn't realize that he missed this. i brought it back to him and he happily completed the programming so that the streering wheel now works. when the truck is started via the remote starter the steering wheel tilts out as if the key was inserted.

a lot of things depend on what alarm/starter you get and how the installer programs it.
Old 04-19-04, 02:58 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Remote Start

Originally posted by allisonb1013
ACTUALLY, this is NOT true. if you got a remote starter and they didn't do it right, i would complain!

you will still have this functionallity. as with anything, be picky about where you bring your vehicle! when mine was first installed, my electronics guy didn't realize that he missed this. i brought it back to him and he happily completed the programming so that the streering wheel now works. when the truck is started via the remote starter the steering wheel tilts out as if the key was inserted.

a lot of things depend on what alarm/starter you get and how the installer programs it.
Allison - please when you have a minute post the specs (brand/unit) and installer of your remote start. This is a problem with my wife's RX, and I'd like to get it working again so that when I insert the key the steering wheel goes back to the "last driver" position.

geewiss,

as for your question, the answer is no it does not defeat the security system, it is temporary when the vehicle receives a remote start command. The thing that does defeat the security is the fact that there is a key buried in your car somewhere - don't let your insurance company find out about it, they be unwilling to pay out if your ride gets jacked.
Old 04-20-04, 10:13 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

I agree with ALLISONB1013. I had a Viper remote start installed in my GX and LOVE it. The bypass kit for the transponder may simply not work with the GX because the installer also said it was available but then needed to use my Valet key afterall. All auto settings (seats, steering wheel, etc...) work great.

The basic setup is to start the vehicle without unlocking the doors giving the (slight) added measure of security. Once the vehicle is started with the remote start, I then have to use the "unlock" button on the separate remote start fob (which is pretty small) rather than the one on the key. If I choose not to use the remote start, the Lexus key still works as designed.

The nicest thing about it is on those hot days you can open all the windows using the Lexus key then start the car with the remote. I would not do this in the Bronx, but it is safe enough in my driveway.

Basically, you shouldn't LOSE any functionality, only gain additional stuff.

The only problem I have is that by force of habit I hit the brake before putting the key in (back from those manual tranny days). For those of you with remote starts, you know that the brake immediately kills the ignition. My wife laughs at me constantly for this one.

Last edited by mogulbumm; 04-22-04 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 08:35 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

On my GX i have the Ultra Start 4500. For anyone unfamiliar this is a Two-way remote starter/alarm system. It is on the pricey side, but one of the best for two-ways. My installer (does work on all 4 of our vehicles) cut me a deal at $400 installed. I actually use both of my alarms. I park my truck outside, so I arm the aftermarket and then the factory (with the key). The aftermarket remote disarms both. You can program the aftermarket remote to do lots of things. My boyfriend has one of his buttons programmed to turn on his neons. I personally don't remember what all my buttons do, but I do know that I can make the windows roll up and some other stuff. I use the Lexus key to bring them down. My starter is programmed such that the truck automatically locks after starting regardless of how it was left. The steering wheel automatically comes out when it starts. The radio does not turn on until you insert the key. Downfall to this system is that it only comes with one remote. Upside is you can program 2 cars per remote. For instance we have the same alarm/starter system in the GX and the GS so we're going to bring them down to the guy and have them program our remotes to work both vehicles.

I'd be happy to give the name, phone number, address of my installer to anyone who is interested in having work done.
Old 05-07-04, 06:50 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default valet keys

when I do the remote start on any car with the chip in it i tell my customers they can forget about that key inside the 555U for any suv ,cars or 555B for bmws . what i do is i brake the key off or cut the tip off so if some one finds the key they can't use that key in the ignition switch.you guys can use DEI the company that makes viper ,hornet ,valet ,automate and many more they are all the samething or i use audivox with no problems just remote start on any car or suv with the chip in it is no more than $210 the customer providing the key .