GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-04, 11:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I am also considering the GX b/c of it's 3rd row possibility. I know it's somewhat useless, but at least it's there when I need it. The RX doesn't have 3rd row. If you don't care about third row, gas and $ is an issue, and the smaller size, then get the RX. Either way, they're both a Lexus
Old 07-08-04, 12:48 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PitBull
Go drive a 4runner limited loaded with Nav and everything, you can buy them all day long for $36-37K. Then drive the GX470. The only thing you can get on the GX470 that you can't on the 4runner is the KDDS. Drive one with the KDDS and one without. Now look at the (appearance difference) sheet metal difference between the GX and 4runner. Now pick the one you like the most. The difference between the GX and the 4runner is like comparing a Lexus LX470 and a Toyota Landcruiser. The 4runner and GX are made in the same factory in Japan, I think it is Hino and the LX470 and the Landcruiser are made in the same factory in Japan. If you buy a loaded Landcruiser you can buy them for about $10K less than a loaded LX470. You now have the knowledge, what you do with it is your thing. Good luck.
Not all true. A biggie for me (since I am a music buff) was the Mark Levinson system. Without going to aftermarket, I have not heard a nicer, cleaner, clearer, louder stock system in any vehicle.

Also with the 4-runner, you don't get the true maple wood, or the same quality leather.

While these may seem minor to some, they are major to others.
Old 07-08-04, 12:54 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by SacKen
When I bring my GX in for service and get a loaner from the dealer, it is always a new RX330. I am always happy to give that thing back! Although the seat warmers work better in the RX
I agree completely, why they couldn't produce the same heat output from the seat warmers in the GX as the RX, I have no idea.

I even have a hard time getting any real heat output from the lower back portion of the warmers. For the first times I used the warmers, I didn't even know it had heating on the back, I thought it was only on the butt.

Until I asked the dealer.
Old 07-08-04, 01:06 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my opinion, but I think the Nakamichi sounded better than the Levinson. Too bad the sound can't be the same as when using the Bose Noise Canceling headphones.
Old 07-08-04, 01:26 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally posted by GS3Tek
I am also considering the GX b/c of it's 3rd row possibility. I know it's somewhat useless, but at least it's there when I need it. The RX doesn't have 3rd row. If you don't care about third row, gas and $ is an issue, and the smaller size, then get the RX. Either way, they're both a Lexus
Depending on your intentions, the 3rd row isn't totally useless. I often fill all the seats with adults when we go out for some fun to reduce the number of cars we have to drive. Now, I wouldn't want to sit in the 3rd row every day or on a 3-hour trip, but I have had no problems being in it for up to an hour when we are out on the town... and I'm 6'2". Yeah, my knees are a little closer to my chest due to the high floor, but it is acceptable for the convenience of occasionally needing the 3rd row and wanting to stay in the mid-size SUV class.
Old 07-08-04, 01:36 PM
SacKen
Driver

Go drive a 4runner limited loaded with Nav and everything, you can buy them all day long for $36-37K. Then drive the GX470. The only thing you can get on the GX470 that you can't on the 4runner is the KDDS...
The difference between the 4Runner Ltd and the GX is similar to the 4Runner Ltd and the SR5. The SR5 is the same truck as the Limited and you can get it for about $10k less than the limited. The limited just has more and better "stuff". The GX takes it to the next level and has even better "stuff"... and a little bit more room inside.
Old 07-08-04, 03:05 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by SacKen
The difference between the 4Runner Ltd and the GX is similar to the 4Runner Ltd and the SR5. The SR5 is the same truck as the Limited and you can get it for about $10k less than the limited. The limited just has more and better "stuff". The GX takes it to the next level and has even better "stuff"... and a little bit more room inside.
Very well stated. It's great to have alternatives. As you move up the food chain, you get things that might be important to some people and not to others. I know I loved the service/attention I got from Lexus when I had my SC400/LS400/ES300. I'm sure you get better paint on the GX470 than you get on the 4runner and at least they changed the body sheet metal between the 4runner and the GX470 (they didn't with the LX470 and the Landcruiser) and it is true that the interior on the GX470 is more of a luxury car interior compared to the 4runner. The only reason I mentioned the 4runner was to give all of the alternatives. Personally if money was not an object I would alway go for the Lexus. I just hate to buy used vehicles, never know how the owner treated it. At least with a Lexus you can have the dealer pull up the service history, if you go with a used GX470, I would also have a body shop go over it and I would get a carfax report also.
Old 07-08-04, 03:31 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well stated. It's great to have alternatives. As you move up the food chain, you get things that might be important to some people and not to others. I know I loved the service/attention I got from Lexus when I had my SC400/LS400/ES300. I'm sure you get better paint on the GX470 than you get on the 4runner and at least they changed the body sheet metal between the 4runner and the GX470 (they didn't with the LX470 and the Landcruiser) and it is true that the interior on the GX470 is more of a luxury car interior compared to the 4runner. The only reason I mentioned the 4runner was to give all of the alternatives. Personally if money was not an object I would alway go for the Lexus. I just hate to buy used vehicles, never know how the owner treated it. At least with a Lexus you can have the dealer pull up the service history, if you go with a used GX470, I would also have a body shop go over it and I would get a carfax report also.
Oh without a doubt. The only way I will buy a "used" car is if it is CPO from Lexus themselves. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-08-04, 03:36 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by JuBu
Oh without a doubt. The only way I will buy a "used" car is if it is CPO from Lexus themselves. Thanks for your input!
Don't count on CPO from Lexus, still look at the service records and carfax. I looked at a CPO LX470 that when I looked at the service records it had 10K mile oil/filter changes and Lexus still did the CPO on it. No way, it should of been CPO in my book. It should of had OCI done every 5K miles. Just remember with a used vehicle "Buyer Beware" do your home work!!