GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 06:28 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!

Okay, so I'm trying to decide between getting an RX330 and a GX470, most likely a 2004 model year. Other than the obvious, which is the size and price between the two, what other opinions do you guys have regarding these two vehicles? I've grown tired of driving a "car" (and a modified car at that) and want to step into a luxury SUV which is more friendly to potholes and speedbumps.

Did many of you guys decide between the two, and if so, what driving factors led you to your decision? After owning your vehicles for a while now, what regrets/praises do you have about it?

My father has always been a die-hard Lexus fan because of the service and quality of their cars so I know what great hands I'll be in. I just need to decide now!!!

And most importantly, how much can I expect to pay for a 2004 GX470 with *at most* 20 to 25k miles? The main options I want are NAVI, ML Sound and the RSES. I also want Crystal White--is that a rare color?

Alternatively, I'm considering a 2004 RX330 with similar maximum mileage as the GX470. I also want NAVI, ML Sound, RSES w/ backup cam. Any ideas on price? I will also be posting this on the RX forum for the guys there.

Thanks!!

Here's a pic of my current car which I'll be selling soon She's a 1997 328i with only 34k original miles...any buyers?

Old 07-06-04, 07:01 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at a new Toyota 4runner, same vehicle made in the same factory and you will save $10-12K over the Lexus for the same equipment. You are not going to find a used GX470 with that kind of mileage for any great price. I wouldn't even look at the RX unless your a girl, or soccer mom. Thats who they are made for. The GX470/4runner is a Truck the RX is a mini-van. Good luck.
Old 07-06-04, 07:23 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by PitBull
Look at a new Toyota 4runner, same vehicle made in the same factory and you will save $10-12K over the Lexus for the same equipment. You are not going to find a used GX470 with that kind of mileage for any great price. I wouldn't even look at the RX unless your a girl, or soccer mom. Thats who they are made for. The GX470/4runner is a Truck the RX is a mini-van. Good luck.
I've seen GX470s in my area with around 15k to 19k miles going for mid $40k. I know I can go to KBB or Edmunds to check prices, but I figured you guys would know the Lexus market a bit better. So is that a decent price range for a used 2004?
Old 07-06-04, 09:30 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, if you want a more comfortable ride over potholes and speed bumps, the RX330 is the car you'd probably like. It uses the Toyota Camry frame. The GX is a truck and will not be as kind but it is definitely quieter inside, than the RX330. There are some options on the RX330 that aren't even offered for the GX. Also, there's probably at least a 5-6 MPG difference in gas mileage if that's any kind of issue with you.
Old 07-06-04, 10:23 PM
Skip
Driver

I had an RX 330 and now own a GX 470, both 2004 models. The RX had all wheel drive and the performance package.

The GX is better in EVERY way!

Better ride, Much more quiet inside, Way more comfortable, Smoother.

It is the difference of driving an ES to an LS.

City mileage was even better in the GX! RX got better on open road.

GX has much better seats and interior.

Just get a GX, you will be glad that you did.

If You are worried about gas, these are not the vehicles to buy. They are not economy cars.

If you want to tow, you will need to get the GX. It has a frame and a tow hitch.
Old 07-07-04, 12:29 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What are you selling the Bummer for
Old 07-07-04, 01:54 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the next time i see a mini van, i surely wont think of an RX. whereas, the GX looks like any other big ol truck...just slop on some gold 24 inch spinners, and chrome fender trim to complete the look. GXs are the ultimate soccor mom vehicle. wonder why every publish report on the RX states its one of the best, if not the best looking SUV out there. but hey, to each his own, right? btw, the kids called, soccer practice is at 4.
Old 07-07-04, 01:23 PM
SacKen
Driver

When I bring my GX in for service and get a loaner from the dealer, it is always a new RX330. I am always happy to give that thing back! Although the seat warmers work better in the RX
Old 07-07-04, 01:39 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven both although I own neither and they are very apples to oranges. Even though they are both "SUV"s, they are not even close to the same in just about any other respect. One is a body on frame truck - meant for off-roading, towing, and just general truck/SUV use. The other is basically just a lifted car or station wagon built on the unibody Camry platform.

Looking past that, the RX330 has a less bumpy ride, gets better gas milage, and costs less.

But that's it.

The GX has a MUCH nicer interior, it's quieter, has a whole lot more practical capabilities as well as about 10x the all-weather all-terrain capabilities, it has a better engine (doesn't rev to 2.5-3k RPM constantly in normal acceleration like the RX, and the i-Force is a proven engine that many people have had last as long as half a million miles or more - the 3.3L V6 is unproven, but its predecessor occasionally had issues with sludge build up even before 100k miles) and and a much more intuitive transmission (the transmission in the RX feels downright sloppy IMO, the GX's feels very precise).

Then the whole set of available options on the GX is much cooler and more enveloping than on the RX where some features are just flat-out not available or feel more 'tacked on'.

Oh and lastly, the two RX330s I've driven have actually had a few rattles going over bumps. Never heard a rattle in a GX so far.

Last edited by Threxx; 07-07-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 05:16 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

I too am leaning towards the GX mainly for its size and "true SUV" characteristics. What bothers me is how many people have said how it's a GLORIFIED 4 Runner. It doesn't bother me that they are based on the same chassis, but I'd like to think that the amenities and little nick nacks in the GX make it much more worthwhile, espeically for the extra $12k or so.

After owning your GX for a while, do you feel that the price you paid was worth it in the end? The RX330 will be about $10k cheaper, but my heart is really pushing me towards the GX. Thoughts????
Old 07-07-04, 05:37 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by JuBu
I too am leaning towards the GX mainly for its size and "true SUV" characteristics. What bothers me is how many people have said how it's a GLORIFIED 4 Runner. It doesn't bother me that they are based on the same chassis, but I'd like to think that the amenities and little nick nacks in the GX make it much more worthwhile, espeically for the extra $12k or so.

After owning your GX for a while, do you feel that the price you paid was worth it in the end? The RX330 will be about $10k cheaper, but my heart is really pushing me towards the GX. Thoughts????

Go drive a 4runner limited loaded with Nav and everything, you can buy them all day long for $36-37K. Then drive the GX470. The only thing you can get on the GX470 that you can't on the 4runner is the KDDS. Drive one with the KDDS and one without. Now look at the (appearance difference) sheet metal difference between the GX and 4runner. Now pick the one you like the most. The difference between the GX and the 4runner is like comparing a Lexus LX470 and a Toyota Landcruiser. The 4runner and GX are made in the same factory in Japan, I think it is Hino and the LX470 and the Landcruiser are made in the same factory in Japan. If you buy a loaded Landcruiser you can buy them for about $10K less than a loaded LX470. You now have the knowledge, what you do with it is your thing. Good luck.
Old 07-07-04, 06:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JuBu
What bothers me is how many people have said how it's a GLORIFIED 4 Runner.
Just buy a loaded V8 Limited 4Runner, they can be had for under 40 out the door and it's new, why buy a GX or RX with 20k on the clock, 1 thing my father has taught me is buy less but buy new
Old 07-07-04, 06:18 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VEGASRX330
the next time i see a mini van, i surely wont think of an RX. whereas, the GX looks like any other big ol truck...just slop on some gold 24 inch spinners, and chrome fender trim to complete the look. GXs are the ultimate soccor mom vehicle. wonder why every publish report on the RX states its one of the best, if not the best looking SUV out there. but hey, to each his own, right? btw, the kids called, soccer practice is at 4.
Take it easy man, I like the RX330 and each owner makes the vehicle their own, no matter what they drive and what most of these guys don't realize is women are the driving force behind all vehicles why are full size trucks coming through with leather seats and butt warmers cause women drive them and want comfort so Im at least thankful that they make the ceature comforts for women and I can enjoy them.
Old 07-08-04, 09:30 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

you're right edge2...ill chill. i just hate it when people make comments about the RX and automatically consider it to be a girls car, when theres no way my RX looks like a girls car (maybe a very cool girls car..hehehe). anyway, lets just say all lexus vehicles are good in their own way, and any one that is chosen would surely make the owner proud.
Old 07-08-04, 10:46 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Bravo

Quick Reply: Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!