GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 08:28 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they make a GX that has both the Xreas and KDDS? The Xreas is like a HD shock with a big reserve fluid supply since it uses the unloaded shocks fluid, it is not suppose to benefit off road handling as much as onroad. I notice that a Xreas equiped versus normal shock equiped, makes the vehicle feel more sporty, flatter handling but the bumps are not any harsher. I've never driven a KDDS equiped GX but it is the best solution for both on and off road handling. I think of the Xreas as the poor mans solution for on road handling compared to KDDS.
Old 07-08-05, 12:10 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool X-REAS on Toyota only ... Lexus is KDSS

Originally Posted by PitBull
Do they make a GX that has both the Xreas and KDDS? The Xreas is like a HD shock with a big reserve fluid supply since it uses the unloaded shocks fluid, it is not suppose to benefit off road handling as much as onroad. I notice that a Xreas equiped versus normal shock equiped, makes the vehicle feel more sporty, flatter handling but the bumps are not any harsher. I've never driven a KDDS equiped GX but it is the best solution for both on and off road handling. I think of the Xreas as the poor mans solution for on road handling compared to KDDS.

The KDSS is on the Lexus only. But it is not the only auto to have KDSS (not KDDS, I get this acronym wrong sometimes, since I don't use it everyday ). There are other versions out there beside the RFS type on the GX. They all derive from the Australian company, Kinetic (www.kinetic.au.com).
The X-REAS system is similar, but not simply an over-sized fluid reservior. The system by definition, uses the opposing corners as feedback to increase the road stability. With out the feedback, it would simply be ... shocks with over-sized fluid reserviors. Since I have not driven, nor have I rode in, an X-REAS equiped vehicle so I cannot comment on the feel of the ride.
I think the GX does really need the KDSS on more than just the off-road issues. Since the ride is a bit higher, and the passenger cabin taller still, the center of gravity makes the roll/pitch more accentuated during cornering. IMHO.
Old 07-08-05, 01:34 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click this link for a video of the KDSS in action. Enjoy!

http://www.lexus.com/models/video_popup/kdss.html

Charleston
Old 07-10-05, 02:26 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the excellent coverage of the LA show. It was a great read and the pics were enjoyable too.