GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 11:56 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS

I just went to the Lexus event this weekend in Los Angeles. I really encourage everyone to go sign up www.lexustasteofluxury.com it’s a really a great experience. I’ve been to the Cadillac and Mercedes events but so far Lexus’ presentation, food and cars top both of them.

My mission for the day is to test the performance of the GX470 with KDSS and with out KDSS and see how it stacks up with all other SUV in the field.

Lexus constructed a really cool off road course in the Dodger Stadium parking lot. It starts with a long straight to test the acceleration, if you dare to stay on the gas long enough you’ll get to 50mph before you have to slam on the brakes. Next is a chicane, this turn in and brake; test the braking stability, then followed by a slalom course, for evaluating handling characteristics and steering response.

Next section there is a diagonal split top hill. When you drive through it slow enough, you can make the SUV you are in teeter by lifting the front left wheel and rear right wheel. Once you are through it you’ll be greeted by some huge off set bumps that also design to stall your ride, if you don’t have enough momentum. I drove really slowly on it to test the suspension articulation and traction control system; I got stuck several times and have to back up.

Just when you though you are done, you will need to climb a 35° 20ft. hill with a 30° drop. I’ve seen a couple of women drivers stop at the bottom and switch drivers with their husband, it’s that intimidating! The climb going up all SUVs can make it with out switching to low range, good test for low end torque. Going down is the fun part it’s like riding on a roller coaster’s front seats with its tail just about to go over the crest. You feel literally suspended facing the ground and you are almost standing on the brakes. After the hill you will need to tackle a couple smaller off set bumps and you are done.

Here is my impression on some of the SUVs I drove.

Range Rover HSE

Good Acceleration off the line. Handling is surprisingly agile for the big car maybe to due the low profile tires. Very good slalom handling characteristics but the X5 is still better. Off road the Range Rover didn’t disappoint me, I was able to craw through the diagonal top hill and off set bumps with a minimal hint of traction lost, means the tire is staying on the ground. The hill climb the engine was pinging heavily.

BMW X5

Good accelerating off the line and pulls hard to red line. Very stable with slight under steer on the chicane and slalom section, the steering response and grip is almost sports car like. On the diagonal top hill the wheels gets huge air and you have to have momentum to get though the off set bumps.

Mercedes Benz ML500

Good acceleration off the line. As I turn in for the chicane I thought I wasn’t going to make it though, the steering was sluggish and major body roll and under steered though the slalom course. Off road capabilities was about the same as the X5.

LX470

Decent acceleration off the line. Turn in response was good and is a bit better than the GX470 maybe due to the lower profile tires. Minimal body roll though the slalom. The off road capabilities of the LX is on par with the Range Rover HSE.

GX470

Good acceleration off the line but ran out of steam on the higher revs. Turn in was good and the chassis settled a tad faster on the KDSS model. Tires howl as I go through the hair pin leading to the slalom course. Steering response is about the same on both models but less body roll on the KDSS. Both model exhibit a slight hint of traction lost on the rear during turn in and moderate under steer when getting back on power but the VSC should keep everything in check.

On the diagonal top hill I can’t really tell the difference on both models KDSS and non KDSS, since all SUVs ran out of suspension articulation here. On the off set bumps however, the KDSS tires remain planted on the ground like the LX470 and Range Rover while the non KDSS model would lift the wheel slightly and needed help from the traction control to keep going.

I heard from one of the representative on site that the KDSS is off below 25mph so you will get the superb suspension articulation and it’s on above 25mph to utilize its massive sway bars for less body roll on higher speed turns.

Volvo XC90

Decent acceleration off the line. Steering was over assisted and handling characteristics was good. For some reason the XC90 was pitted against the MDX, RX330 and X3 and I wasn’t able to test it on the harder off road courses.

Overall I like GX470 with the KDSS; it’s like getting best of both worlds from an SUV that already excels on and off pavement. The non KDSS is almost as good in everyway and it’s only when you take your truck to the limit of performance that you can truly appreciate the technology of KDSS.

Charleston

Last edited by CivicFerio; 07-19-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-18-04, 11:59 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

My girl and the KDSS display
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2926s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:00 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

KDSS front
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2950s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:01 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

KDSS rear
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2954s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:02 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

The 20ft hill
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2930s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:03 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Bigger off set bumps
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2931s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:04 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

GX climbing
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2932s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:05 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

GX descent
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2934s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:06 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Smaller off set bumps
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2935s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 12:07 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

GX with KDSS teetering on the bigger off set bumps
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS-129_2937s.jpg  
Old 07-18-04, 01:53 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW! Really enjoyed your writeup and pictures. Thanks for sharing both with us.
Old 07-18-04, 02:00 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great shots of the GX in action! I haven't seen too many GX models pop up on Autotrader or eBay with KDSS yet. I guess they'll become more available for the "used car market" in late Fall.
Old 07-19-04, 09:35 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default awesome pics and write up

You answered a lot of my questions about KDSS and nonKDSS differences.
Old 07-07-05, 07:58 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Good information, it would be interesting to know how a Xreas equiped GX compared to the KDDS GX. Based on your description I would bet that they would feel the same except for the off set bumps.
Old 07-08-05, 08:06 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool KDDS worth every cent as upgrade.

Originally Posted by PitBull
Good information, it would be interesting to know how a Xreas equiped GX compared to the KDDS GX. Based on your description I would bet that they would feel the same except for the off set bumps.
I would be interested to hear that myself. The fundamental design difference is that X-REAS uses the opposing corner pressure transfer to maintain roll correction. And the KDDS uses front to back pressure transfer, coupled with a 2" diameter Anti-Sway bar. At all times leaving the shocks independent of the anti-roll control. I have KDDS, and highly rate that option for road handling. And I have negotiated enough washed out Drainage culverts to know that the wheel travel is fantastic. One bad point of the GX, the stock tires (Dunlop) which the truck was delivered with are not that great for cornering. I have used Michelins and Pirelli Scorpions on RR's that I have owned, and those fair much better.
The body roll during high speed cornering on the GX is pretty nil compared to other SUV's I have driven. The KDDS is more for the slow motion though. Using the oversized sway bar as the roll correction in cornering, the KDDS is mainly for rock crawling when greater wheel travel is needed. It releases the one of the anchor points with hydraulic plungers.
From what I understand of the X-REAS, it uses the shocks themselves as the force to maintain anti-roll. That would sacrifice something on the comfort level of having a shock in the first place.
Let us know if you ever get the chance to rate either one, or run across another opinion. I have not found a concise review.

Quick Reply: Lexus Taste Of Luxury Impressions and KDSS