GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

22"s on a GX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 10:45 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22"s on a GX?

Will 22" wheels on a GX negatively affect performance? Also, if re-calibration is necessary... can I do that myself through the Nav?
Old 07-20-04, 11:06 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Depending on the tires they would probably improve onroad performance, and yeah you would just need to hit the recalibrate thing on the dash but thats more for just keeping your location accurate.

Depending on the size of your 22's your speedo might be off 1mph at 60, big deal you will look cool
Old 07-20-04, 11:51 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Thanx Edge.... someone mentioned 22"s would throw off my ABS, etc... Know if there is any truth to this?

OH... and as far as the tires... im thinking 305-45-22 Toyos.... (maybe that was 305-40-22s.. dont remember)

Last edited by GXLUV; 07-20-04 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-20-04, 03:24 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Your fine long as you keep all 4 tires the same size and tread

Use this to figure out how big your tires will be, put in the OEM size and then the new size http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Have you figured out what rims your gonna get
Old 07-21-04, 08:47 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Thanks for the info. man.

Looking for the rims now.... Im kinda a wheels nut, so I am being patient because I dont want the same rims you see on every Escalade and Yukon.. This IS an "L" ya know !! I have my GS4 on 18" Arelli's and it looks nice.... shoulda went bigger though. One thing I DO know....unlike another thread I've been reading... when i get them - I could give a @#%!*$# less what everybody else thinks about em

Hey... one last question for you.... I notice alot of people in here perform modifications to their brand new rides... like HID kits, Nav overrides, etc... Doesn't that type of stuff void the warranty? I would like to add the HID, mirror turn signals, and DVD override,,, but Im not trying to end up screwin' myself !

Last edited by GXLUV; 07-21-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 08:51 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Edge... by the way... I had the 02 ES 300..... first year of the new body style.... LOVED that car... black/black, (same as my GS) nav/levinson.. loaded. shoulda kept it.. Now that I have a 15 mo. old... i REALLY realize how much SMALLER the interior is on my GS4... LOT faster though... and looks soo fly Be eazy.. J

Last edited by GXLUV; 07-21-04 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 09:39 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GXLUV,
I've had my 22s on for quite a while now, and have experienced better handling and no negative effects. I also drive in sport all the time.

As long as you stay as close as possible to your original tire size, none of your systems will be effected. www.1010tires.com has a tire calculator as well. My tires are 265/40/22 Nittos. With that size, the tire calculators say that I'm off just slightly at higher speeds (less than 1mph). Just be careful when looking for rims for the truck. They do have the same offset and bolt pattern of a GM, BUT they have a considerably larger center bore (4.25" as opposed to 3"), so you will find a lot of rims will not fit. And, a lot of websites that sell rims do not use the center bore when calculating fitment, so call on everything!!

I think the warranty protection varies. I know in Connecticut you are protected some. Any aftermarket modifications only void the warranty at the point of install, unless it can be proven by the dealership/service professional that the modification is the direct cause of the problem.

Hope this all helps!
Old 07-21-04, 10:29 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Allisonb1013...

Do you have any pictures of your vehicle from the back? (to see the width of the tires).

Also, my only issues with the 265-40-22's are the amount of sidewall... (you loose a full 2.4 inches and I dont want to replacing tires all the time) and the amount of wheel wheel still unoccupied... although yours seems to look pretty good in the pictures. Also, do you know the actual pecentage of disparity in size you can have and still be safe? (maintain abs, etc..) Thanks for the help

Last edited by GXLUV; 07-21-04 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 11:58 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally posted by GXLUV
Allisonb1013...

Do you have any pictures of your vehicle from the back? (to see the width of the tires).

Also, my only issues with the 265-40-22's are the amount of sidewall... (you loose a full 2.4 inches and I dont want to replacing tires all the time) and the amount of wheel wheel still unoccupied... although yours seems to look pretty good in the pictures. Also, do you know the actual pecentage of disparity in size you can have and still be safe? (maintain abs, etc..) Thanks for the help
I've attached the only pics I have from behind. We were taking pictures of the vehicles after we got the rims on and washed and waxed them. Sorry they're not that great for viewing tire width. I can take a quick one later. I don't really mind the sidewall. but, i come from driving a little car with 18s on it, so this is a lot of sidewall for me. In order to keep all of your components working correctly, you can't change the tire size much. I've heard you can go up to 10% difference in overall diameter. I think my wheel guy only recommends 5% or less. You can't do much about filling up the wheel well YET. I've already looked into lowering kits for the truck (I'm looking to go about 3"), but no one has anything for the rear yet. The front springs are no problem, but we're just waiting for someone to come up with a way to "dial down" the airbag like they do on other trucks.

Old 07-21-04, 05:00 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by allisonb1013
I've already looked into lowering kits for the truck
Allison.....

Please let us know if you find someone with a lowering kit. My wife would very much appreciate it.

~ Cap
Old 07-21-04, 10:26 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Default allisonb1013

Your two lex's look cool with those wheels, I hope I am not asking too much, could you show a picture from the side of the GX and one with the wheel looking sideways , my truck is white pearl also, I wanted to see the white pearl truck withsome fancy wheels.
Old 07-21-04, 10:30 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Default Yo man!

THAT TRUCK OF YOUR'S LOOK VERY COOL, didnt notice the gold emblems, darn good taste man.
Old 07-21-04, 11:33 PM
venom_v8
Rookie

Sorry but if you get 305/45/22 tires, be prepare to tear them up. The tires are a little too wide. You can fit 305/40/22 tires with little mod. Just tryin' to help. Oh btw how much did you pay for your 22" w/tires?

Last edited by venom_v8; 07-21-04 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-22-04, 05:42 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GXLUV
Thanks for the info. man.

Looking for the rims now.... Im kinda a wheels nut, so I am being patient because I dont want the same rims you see on every Escalade and Yukon.. This IS an "L" ya know !! I have my GS4 on 18" Arelli's and it looks nice.... shoulda went bigger though. One thing I DO know....unlike another thread I've been reading... when i get them - I could give a @#%!*$# less what everybody else thinks about em

Hey... one last question for you.... I notice alot of people in here perform modifications to their brand new rides... like HID kits, Nav overrides, etc... Doesn't that type of stuff void the warranty? I would like to add the HID, mirror turn signals, and DVD override,,, but Im not trying to end up screwin' myself !
No problem and yeah it makes it easier if you just buy what you like and avoid asking everyone else for their opinion, as far as putting on what everyone else has your right it seems most guys/girls tend to follow each other and put identical wheels on, it's as if their afraid to make their own decision.

For your warranty I would not sweat it, it depends on each make and every dealer varies but I've had Nissans where 1 dealer told me I voided my warranty and another dealer said everything is fine, I never needed any work or nothin broke but if an actual part causes a defect and they can prove it was an aftermarket mod then they might say we won't fix it but it depends on the dealer and the service writers, I've had problems with service writers but slipped the tech a 100 bucks and they fixed everything for me, whats that saying "Don't hate the game, Hate the Player" Everything you want to do is fine, just get the HID from zenondepot like the other GX guys thats plug and play and if installed right looks stock, the Nav override is not gonna do nothin, just don't mess something up and cut the wrong wire, I've had friends short out their electrical systems and thats an easy 5 grand to have it replaced, take it to Best Buy or Circuit City, ask around to find out which pot smokin, loosing his hearing middle age kid has been working their the longest or who is the best, it's usually obvious from their hooked up Civics and have him install whatever you want, they offer a lifetime warranty on any problems you every have

Also do yourself a favor and invest in a jack and take the rims off anytime your vehicle goes in for service and it's tire or wheel related, I witnessed some pretty pissed of guys when Lexus messed up their wheels.

You may wanna check out www.t4r.org most of the 03-04 4Runner people post their and their have been several threads on what 20's to get, 1 guy has 22 but to fit his tire and wheel combo you need a lift and he's still triming the fenders to eliminate rubbing.

My 03 ES300 is sweet, weird shifting pattern if your rolling from 20-40 but it a sleeper at 40 and above, sometimes I just manually shift it, I think most people underestimate it cause it can hang with the best of them, the GS4 was nice but to small and was being redesigned, maybe I'll get a GS350 with AWD but I wish they would make the next gen GS4 with AWD
Old 07-22-04, 07:29 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Default Re: allisonb1013

Originally posted by LexLuder
Your two lex's look cool with those wheels, I hope I am not asking too much, could you show a picture from the side of the GX and one with the wheel looking sideways , my truck is white pearl also, I wanted to see the white pearl truck withsome fancy wheels.
I don't have anything with the wheel turned, but here are some more for you to take a look at. I also have some others that I posted in my thread about wheels (they're in the gallery).

Quick Reply: 22"s on a GX?