GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

getting my GX in a couple of days..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 12:59 PM
lexusowner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting my GX in a couple of days..

anything i should consider checking when i pick up my car besides the driveshaft clunk , vibrations in car etc..?

Last edited by lexusowner; 08-17-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 06:27 PM
Humid GX
Driver School Candidate

I would suggest that you make darn sure that you and your passengers are comfortable with air conditioner performance given that you are in Florida. This is per my following post:

My GX had the air conditioner Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) performed two weeks ago wherein Lexus replaced the condenser, expansion valve, added enhanced insulation to various high/low refridgerant lines along with adding seals to the Recirc and fresh air flaps. Nevertheless, the effect of this TSB did not enhance the cooling effect whatsoever given the high humidity environment. With an ambient temperature at 90 plus degrees with 90% humidity, the best vent temperature has been 47 degrees which easily fails the "comfort factor". Other Lexus models under the same conditions can easily get high 30's in vent temperature i.e.2004 ES 330

Interestingly, today Lexus admitted that the "evaporator core" was unfortunately designed TOO small given the cabin space of the GX, thus it doesn't have the capacity to remove the humidity from the cabin and does NOT have enough cooling surface to provide sub-40 degree vent temperature. If you live in Chicago, you would probably not notice the GX lack of cooling but if you live in Atlanta/Orlando, the GX's a/c simply cannot compete with temperature humidity in these environments.

Thus, has anyone on this board discovered a solution to this underpowered GX a/c system notably in the southern states? Or any other advice as to solve this problem?
Old 08-18-04, 06:38 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: getting my GX in a couple of days..

Originally posted by lexusowner
anything i should consider checking when i pick up my car besides the driveshaft clunk , vibrations in car etc..?

you may not notice this one thing when ur picking up ur gx (cuz it's not winter yet), side claddings tend to rattle (especially if ur the kind of guy that likes to drive ur SUV thru any pothole in the road) becuz during winter (of course) the plastics tend not to expand becuz of no heat so claddings r kinda a problem when winter comes. that goes for the creaky seats too, so don't toss and turn a lot on ur driver's seat, it also comes out during winter!
Old 08-18-04, 09:33 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Enjoy your new GX

Remember even though there are some complaints about the GX the majority of the owners here are very happy with their trucks. I for one owned an 03 Acura MDX, 02 X5 4.4 and 00 4-Runner and the GX blows all those trucks away in Luxury, ride and comfort. I have not experienced the clunk or vibration issues and my AC is doing well in Las Vegas. In fact the GX has done very well on long road trips and has been tomb quiet on these long road trips. Just do your usual pick up check list when buying a new car and then enjoy your truck. I suggest buying a HID kit for your headlights right away it makes a big difference when driving at night.
Old 08-18-04, 10:38 AM
lexusowner
Driver School Candidate

Default thx

thx for the input guys..

and im definately getting the HIDs
Old 08-18-04, 05:18 PM
lexusowner
Driver School Candidate

Default I got the call..

Im picking up my GX470 w/ KDSS tomorrow afternoon..

Im so excited .. lol

by the way I got mine for 49k is that a good price?
Old 08-18-04, 08:30 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a couple ways to look at the "goodness" of the price. First, the cost of the truck, then to consider the timing of the purchase over the course of the model year. I paid more for my truck but it was purchased in mid-February. Looks like you got a good deal.

I hope you will be able to sleep tonight. Enjoy your new GX. I love mine!
Old 08-18-04, 08:53 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Just enjoy it, not everyone else luck, is your luck, mine runs still like when I received it the first time, I am too looking at the hid's and still window shopping for the perfect 20's , read the owners manual for the breaking period and like I said enjoy it.
Old 08-19-04, 10:02 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: I got the call..

Originally posted by lexusowner
Im picking up my GX470 w/ KDSS tomorrow afternoon..

Im so excited .. lol

by the way I got mine for 49k is that a good price?
wat options do u hav for ur 49k?
Old 08-19-04, 10:07 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

well in other words, just enjoy it!!
Old 08-19-04, 08:09 PM
lexusowner
Driver School Candidate

Default picked up my truck..

is it ok to drive over a 100 miles(approx. 140 miles today) in my new truck that came with only 6miles ..?
I tried to drive at different speeds varying from 60 to 85mph.. drove as gently as i could..

the ride was awsome.. better than what i thought it would be.. .the a/c works great.. no driveshaft clunks.. or vibrations..

the only problem i found was the back hatch ...has a squeaky sound when i open or close the back hatch, I asked the dealer to grease it up, but the sound is still there.. hmm. anyone else have the same problem?

other than that, I cant wait to drive it again tomorrow..

oh and my truck came fully loaded w/ kdss, except the lexus link and exhaust tip.

Last edited by lexusowner; 08-20-04 at 05:38 AM.