GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Important Info on 2005 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 02:18 PM
beezy21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Important Info on 2005 Engine

Hi everyone-
I already posted a similiar message under a different thread but I will post again because I think it is pertinent info. According to MotorTrend November Issue (via Edmunds Lexus forum) the new upgraded engine will ONLY BE AVAILABLE in those vehicles equipped with the optional Sport Package Lexus is offering in the 2005 GX. These trucks will have the 270 hp with the KDSS standard. All the other 2005 vehicles will have the same engine as 2003-2004. This will no doubt pad the MSRP quite a bit, and I am guessing that at least half of those vehicles w/ Sport package will also be equipped with RES (not sure if it is part of the Sport Package or not)

I was also given the impression that the Sport Package will not be available immediately, but probably by early spring. Hmm..... Can anyone confirm this rumor? Must run out and buy MotorTrend now.
Old 10-05-04, 10:04 PM
bscottj
Rookie

If I were a betting man, I would bet that VVTi will be available across the board, once it finally starts production. I could see a sport package having more HP than other packages, meaning the non-sport package engines would be slightly detuned, but I believe they will all have VVTi.

However my instinct tells me the sport package will not see any HP advantage over other 2005 VVTI (non-sport equpped) GX470s. I believe the entire GX470 line will share the same engine specs. I also believe the sports package will be mostly cosmetic. It does come with KDSS, but you can get KDSS without the sport package. So in essence, the sport package is merely a cosmetic package.

We'll find out soon enough!!!
Old 10-05-04, 10:29 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by bscottj
If I were a betting man, I would bet that VVTi will be available across the board, once it finally starts production. I could see a sport package having more HP than other packages, meaning the non-sport package engines would be slightly detuned, but I believe they will all have VVTi.

However my instinct tells me the sport package will not see any HP advantage over other 2005 VVTI (non-sport equpped) GX470s. I believe the entire GX470 line will share the same engine specs. I also believe the sports package will be mostly cosmetic. It does come with KDSS, but you can get KDSS without the sport package. So in essence, the sport package is merely a cosmetic package.

We'll find out soon enough!!!
I tend to agree with you for the most part. My guess is that the factory will only put KDSS on Sport Package optioned trucks.
Old 10-05-04, 11:41 PM
bscottj
Rookie

The great thing about KDSS is that it can make the vehicle handle like an X5, yet crawl over boulders with relative ease (X5 has no where near the range of articulation of the GX). KDSS can disengage the sway bars for maximum articulation, and has more suspension travel. KDSS is valuable to the sports car driver as well as the offroader. I believe Lexus will keep KDSS as an option that is available on non-Sport Package equipped vehicles too. Not everyone will like the sport package cosmetics, but nearly everyone would prefer KDSS over non-KDSS. Also, the RX300 SilverSport edition was entirely cosmetic.
Old 10-06-04, 07:04 AM
beezy21
Driver School Candidate

Red face Read MotorTrend.....

According to MotorTrend and my other sources the engine for the base models will remain the same as the 2004's. However those with the Sport Package will have the 270 hp. This will be standard for ANY vehicle equipped with the Sport Package, as will KDSS. You will NOT be able to get more hp unless you opt for the Sport Package. In this sense, the SP is going to be more than "cosmetic." I believe they know the GX's potential and with the new SP are trying to draw in an even younger demographic, similiar to the young professionals that favor the X5. There wil also be a slight interior change on those with the SP, and I have heard it is not necessarily an upgrade, just a tweaking to give it a more "sporty" look. As for the KDSS being available on models without the SP, don't know.

If I am misinformed about anything I have said here, please feel free to correct me. I will vouch for MotorTrend and say they usually know what is going on before the average consumer does. If they print it, I believe it.....unless it is a favorable review of any German car.
Old 10-06-04, 07:48 AM
MarcP
Driver

I'm relatively new to the board - but saw this topic and thought I might chip in.

I just put a deposit down on a 2005 GX and reviewed the information the dealer had from Lexus concerning the changes. From what I see the info pretty much is right on with what Longo Lexus has been posting. The VVTi engine will be on all models and the sport package will be mainly cosmetic with KDSS standard. The interesting thing (at least according to the information my dealer had) was the build percentage information. KDSS was shown as only being available with the sport package and not on the other builds.

Nothing is concrete until it is "officially" released - but thought you might find this interesting anyway.
Old 10-07-04, 07:46 PM
steevr
Pole Position

I saw the M/T writeup also. If M/T is correct (which I'm hoping they're not), can you imagine how many sales Lexus will lose to the 4 Runner, since M/T states that the only V-8 in the 4 Runner is the 270 hp?
Old 10-08-04, 05:25 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

It's probably gonna be on all GX. However, the other possibility may be true too. For example, at least in 2004, only the Sport edition (SE) model of Camry gets the 3.3 L V6, while the rest of the Camry line gets the old 3.0L V6, even the top-of-the-line model.
Old 10-08-04, 06:37 AM
beezy21
Driver School Candidate

Post GX 470 vs. 4-Runner

Originally posted by steevr
I saw the M/T writeup also. If M/T is correct (which I'm hoping they're not), can you imagine how many sales Lexus will lose to the 4 Runner, since M/T states that the only V-8 in the 4 Runner is the 270 hp?
Hello steevr
I may be wrong here, but I don't think it is a matter of Lexus "losing" GX customers to the 4-Runner. Let's face it, anyone who has 50grand+ to plunk down on an SUV (or as Lexus likes to say, LUV) is probably not going to be satisfied with a 4-Runner, it would be more likely they would gravitate toward the Cayenne, X-5, The newest Land Rover, or possibly Toureg (if were talking on the merit of engine only, service is another story.) I don't care how many people want to say, "Well it is the same vehicle, built on the same platform" because that is where the similiarities end. I am sorry my friend, but I don't think 35hp is going to be the deciding factor in choosing between a 4-Runner or a GX. If someone in the market for an LUV is that performance driven, they will go for the big boys. Just a thought........
Old 10-08-04, 07:08 AM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: GX 470 vs. 4-Runner

Originally posted by beezy21
Hello steevr
I may be wrong here, but I don't think it is a matter of Lexus "losing" GX customers to the 4-Runner. Let's face it, anyone who has 50grand+ to plunk down on an SUV (or as Lexus likes to say, LUV) is probably not going to be satisfied with a 4-Runner, it would be more likely they would gravitate toward the Cayenne, X-5, The newest Land Rover, or possibly Toureg (if were talking on the merit of engine only, service is another story.) I don't care how many people want to say, "Well it is the same vehicle, built on the same platform" because that is where the similiarities end. I am sorry my friend, but I don't think 35hp is going to be the deciding factor in choosing between a 4-Runner or a GX. If someone in the market for an LUV is that performance driven, they will go for the big boys. Just a thought........
Interesting and probably a true for most people looking in this market segment. I have been comparing the GX470 and 4Runner and am leaning towrds the 4Runner - even before the 270 HP engine upgrade. I guess it's all about what you are looking for in an SUV.
Old 10-08-04, 10:27 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Default Re: GX 470 vs. 4-Runner

Originally posted by beezy21
Hello steevr
Old 10-09-04, 05:01 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I have a deposit down with my salesman that sold me my '04 GX. I asked him specifically about these engine and KDSS rumors. He said that the new engine will be on ALL '05 GX models and that the KDSS would be available WITH and WITHOUT the Sport Package. He also tells me the arrival time is the end of November. I realize this is only the word of one salesman, but I trust him.

As for the difference between the 4Runner and the GX: I didn't consider the 4Runner last year because of the GVWR. However I just looked at the Toyota website and it shows the V-8 4x4 models with a GVWR of 6005 lbs. But I've also read that the V-8 4Runners won't be available until January--and the Section 179 deduction will likely have expired. I'll go look at the quality of the V-6 models and see if there's any point to hoping for a V-8 by the end of the year. But I agree that the 35hp is not going to make people choose between these two. After having the GX, I don't know if I can settle for the 4Runner.
Old 10-09-04, 12:50 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

The 2004 GX is theoretically available with KDSS and no other bundled options. Try finding one built that way. It will be interesting to see what actually comes out of the factory for 2005.
Old 10-10-04, 03:00 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default GX470 vs 4runner

Kind of like choosing between a Landcruiser and a LX470. But I agree that the average GX470 buyer would not even consider a 4runner. Talked with a Lexus salesman the other day when I was in for service and we were talkin about the new VVTI engine and he said that most Lexus buyers only care about the features, soft leather, super stereo, wood steering wheel, etc. They would not have a clue that they can buy the same vehicle with a few less bells and whistles for $15K less. Like he said, "just because someone has a lot of money to spend doesn't make them "smart shoppers". I can understand where he is coming from. When I go out shopping for computers I have to go for the name brand and hope I get my monies worth, bang for the buck. But I know that there are computer geeks that know all of the comparisons and come out ahead of me. It's all about doing your home work.
Old 10-12-04, 06:44 AM
beezy21
Driver School Candidate

Default So true....

Originally posted by gs400jon
The 2004 GX is theoretically available with KDSS and no other bundled options. Try finding one built that way. It will be interesting to see what actually comes out of the factory for 2005.

gs400jon has a good point. I tried numerous dealerships looking for 04 with everything (including KDSS )
except the RES, and as luck would have it, all vehicle with KDSS had RES. I just did not feel like paying an extra $1500-$2000 for an option that would be a complete waste. I am in my twenties, have no children and will probably not have kids anytime soon, which seems to be the only justification for having this feature. In addition, I never have passengers in my back seat. As for the 2005's with optional Sport Package: I am not a huge fan of the black pearl emblems or the black maple trim. Just my female opinion. I would however, love to see a picture showing a GX equipped with SP. Maybe it would change my mind on this....

Last edited by beezy21; 10-12-04 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Important Info on 2005 Engine