GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

what is actual reason for no HID option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04 | 11:55 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Default what is actual reason for no HID option?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that Lexus won't put them on the GX, or LX for that matter because of curb height, whereas the RX can get away with it because of it's lower stance (it is a car chassis). Now one could argue that the X5, Escalade, Navigator, etc. all are the same height if not higher than Lexus' offerings, so what's the deal, it can't be a violation per se, maybe they have safety concerns, i.e. oncoming drivers or blinding rear-view mirrors? And when the heck are they gonna offer panoramic view roofing? Oh wait, it probably sacrifices overall rigidity so Lexus will veto it!

btw, couldn't find this question answered anywhere on the site, I did use Search!!

Last edited by LexusPride; 10-06-04 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-08-04 | 12:59 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Couple of reasons

I think the reason you mentioned was the primary reason - or at least the reason the dealers were told to give.

The other possible reasons could be similar to the whole insurance issue with the Maximas and TL's and the fairly easy to steal HID light assembly - the RX's are having an issue too apparently - makes a strong case to throw a grill guard on the car.

Another thing it does is add to the insurance costs in the event of an accident - it could be that Lexus/Toyota is trying to keep their perceived (insurable value) lower by not having a history of expensive wrecks - not a likely reason, but just throwing it out there.

The first issue probably stands to reason the most: just look at how Toyota/Lexus have set the standard with their cut beam pattern - they cut away the light output at the point it would blind an oncoming driver - not all manufacturers do this. It makes sense then that they would not offer HID's on cars where it would be do difficult to "tame" the output for oncoming drivers. I don't want to start a war over that - but in all fairness if I am paying $50k for a car and I opt for HID's I could givea rat's a$$ about how blinding it is to the oncoming driver (not that I want to blind them or am modifying my beam pattern to do so) But I bought the car, I should be the one who is able to see the road to the highest abilities of my driving equipment.

I know it's kind of stupid, but I'm sure there is some logic in it somewhere.
Old 10-10-04 | 12:25 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I was very surprised as well that this vehicle did not come with OEM HID.
Old 10-15-04 | 11:11 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Default Re: Couple of reasons

[i] I don't want to start a war over that - but in all fairness if I am paying $50k for a car and I opt for HID's I could givea rat's a$$ about how blinding it is to the oncoming driver (not that I want to blind them or am modifying my beam pattern to do so) But I bought the car, I should be the one who is able to see the road to the highest abilities of my driving equipment. [/B]
Agree completely... and afterall.. Escalades and Navi's etc are as tall or taller...?? I'm gonna add the mod soon as i have 500 bucks to blow...
Old 10-20-04 | 12:38 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: what is actual reason for no HID option?

Originally posted by LexusPride
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that Lexus won't put them on the GX, or LX for that matter because of curb height
Isn't that why they have self-leveling?

BTW, your purple hippo (I hope that's correct!) avatar dances perfectly to the dance music I'm listening to right now
Old 10-20-04 | 07:39 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Default no HID?

I assumed the same thing, but maybe because of the height, that auto-leveling to avoid blinding cars may put it so low that it reduces the light cutoff and narrows the spectrum of illumination that Lexus would find inadaquate.
Old 10-20-04 | 10:04 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

From the NHTSA website....

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/annou...e=pr43-04.html
Old 10-20-04 | 11:31 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Originally posted by gzorn
From the NHTSA website....

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/annou...e=pr43-04.html
Dayyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm Looks like I better get 'em quick !! Anybody know if the Xenon Depot kit is legal?
Old 10-20-04 | 11:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

We are in Canada...
Old 10-21-04 | 07:38 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Hi everyone,
My wife,and I really love the LX470,and almost bought that over the GS430 but just like what everyones says about the HIDS, for a $70k suv with no HIDS,and under power is not for me.True in my opinion the LX is a true luxury suv I think i'll wait a couple years down the road for more improvements.

HEY LEXUS I HOPE YOU'RE READING THIS!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-04 | 02:31 PM
Mjr Minor
Driver School Candidate

The LX and GX have basically the same style lighting and with my GX the Pearl lenses that they use works great for me. I had made some hid bulbs from a LS 400 work on a Jeep and the bulbs dont do any better glory than the lense on the GX. The projection that your bulbs give on the GX's are just as clear and clean as HID only difference is 400.00 for an HID bulb compared to you 20.00 bulb on your GX. Less expensive and just as good and will probably last longer than the HID.
Old 10-23-04 | 01:32 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Default Re: Couple of reasons

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
I don't want to start a war over that - but in all fairness if I am paying $50k for a car and I opt for HID's I could givea rat's a$$ about how blinding it is to the oncoming driver (not that I want to blind them or am modifying my beam pattern to do so) But I bought the car, I should be the one who is able to see the road to the highest abilities of my driving equipment.
I hope you were trying to be funny here. But I still find it infuriating.

Do you really feel that the fact that you spent $50k on a car that someone else being able to drive safely is not just less important to you, but that you could give a rat's a$$? Do you really feel that the fact that you spent $50k on a car entitles you to endanger my life?

So if I'm coming toward you in a low-riding vehicle and your HID's blind me, I run off the road and hit a tree and end up paralyzed or dead, you could give a rat's a$$?

So if your wife happens to be coming home one night while you're leaving and your headlights blind her and she gets killed, you could give a rat's a$$?

And if your HID's blind me, and I cross the center line and hit you head on, you could give a rat's a$$?

Your statement is one of the most selfish things I've ever read. So please tell me you just forgot the emoticons.

How about you spend $70k on your vehicle and get the Night Vision so that you can see without endangering anyone else's life?
Old 10-24-04 | 02:06 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I hope you were trying to be funny here. But I still find it infuriating.
Uh dude, do I have to mention AGAIN that there are SUVs even bigger than the GX and the same size as the LX that have HID yet are not a danger to other vehicles? I haven't heard of a single case where either an X5, an Escalade, Range Rover or a Navigator that were held responsible for killing someone because of their HID headlights. I do know that there is talk of banning them entirely on all vehicles, but that has been heard for almost 3 years with absolutely no change whatsoever, which would mean an ES300 would be targeted also. Do you think BMW or Mercedes would just throw caution to the wind and ignore potential lawsuits if this was such a big issue, or any issue for that matter?? All those aftermarket HID/Xenon or lookalike bulbs are banned because they are either installed on vehicles without auto-leveling (although some cars lack this but still offer HID btw)or are MUCH brighter than current levels allowed. Lexus is entitled to not offer this feature, but cuurent data suggests otherwise, hence the confusion.
Old 10-24-04 | 03:06 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Uh dude, that's not the point. The point is that he said he didn't care how blinding it was to the oncoming driver. I'm not saying that they do or don't blind anyone or whether other taller vehicles should have them or not. What I have a problem with is someone saying that because they spent a certain amount of money on a vehicle, that they are entitled to have whatever they want, even if that poses a danger to others.
Old 10-24-04 | 03:58 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

wow, i didn't know that HIDs could have such a big issue with insurance!

Quick Reply: what is actual reason for no HID option?