GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 06:41 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy?

My 2003 GX has 50000 miles so I am ready to buy something new. I am #1 at the dealer for the 2005 GX AND the 400h (hybrid). I love the GX - especially with new features/engine but still hate the side rear door. RX has almost as much cargo room with seats down and I dont need thrid row.

What would you buy?
Old 10-06-04, 07:58 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If history repeats itself with a KDSS equipped truck for 2005, my bet is you will have to buy a FULLY optioned truck to get the Sports Package. This means third row with A/C, Rear Entertainment and the Navigation/Levinson w/backup camera.

The only thing I like about the RX330 is the power rear door but I got over the side opening door on the GX in about 2 seconds, after the truck was MINE! The 400h sounds interesting but obviously, gas mileage is not a primary concern for me. I am still excited about getting 17 MPG for the first time (hand calculation).

I have seen other Lexus models on the showroom floor and various cars on the street with graphite alloys in the past. Personally, I don't care for the look of dark wheels. If I were buying a 2005, the dealer would have to swap in the chromes.
Old 10-07-04, 07:52 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: What to buy?

Originally posted by Knicksfan
My 2003 GX has 50000 miles so I am ready to buy something new. I am #1 at the dealer for the 2005 GX AND the 400h (hybrid). I love the GX - especially with new features/engine but still hate the side rear door. RX has almost as much cargo room with seats down and I dont need thrid row.

What would you buy?

WOW! lot of miles there in 1 year! only thing i do like about the 330 was the power rear door. I forgot all about our side opening door issue!
Old 10-07-04, 01:37 PM
lexite
Driver

After being in GX for about year and a half, I do not get satisfaction level in RX 330 anywhere close to my GX. Can't say if hybrid 400 would be a different case though...
Old 10-08-04, 12:48 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX vs 400h

Knicksfan,

that's really a tough call - not so much between the 2, because they are completely different, but more because the 400h is really only practical (as a hybrid) for a particular driving style - mainly city/local driving. As a highway car it does no better for fuel economy than a standard RX330.

Personally, I have not fallen in love with my GX - not because of any one thing in particular, but it's just not making me happy. I guess I miss driving a sports car, and I don't really like using my GS as a daily driver.

I was thinking about the 400h myself, but after my wife got back from her Lexus ride and drive, it looks like I could just as well drive a 330 and be in the boat for fuel economy. If that's the case - since my wife has one already do I get another, or do I wait for the AWD IS/LF-C to come out?

As for your shoice - I don't think you can go wrong either way, but it all depends on how much you really enjoy the GX now (the V-8 and more power on the way is na nice to have too) vs the RX - it doesn't sound like the extra space is a concern. One other thing to consider being in NYC is that the GX is considered oversize in almost all garages in Manhattan, and the RX is not. Those of you that park your suv's in the city can sympathize with me on this one.
Old 10-13-04, 01:14 PM
GXLUV
Driver

Ok... now this is gonna sound pretty bad.. but it IS my PERSONAL opinion, soooo.....

GX vs RX - GX no question.

The RX looks like a "Girly ride" IMO... LOL Seriously though, for some reason everytime I see a guy pull up next to me in an RX it just comes off like he is in his girl's ride... no matter what kind of vehicle i may be in !! Sorta like the MB Mseries, X5, acura integras, VW beetles, and the baby benz roadsters...Im 6'2 and IMO once you get past a certain height you begin to look a silly in a "compact" looking vehicle.. Kinda like a a guy trying to look tough in a dodge neon?? Dude.. your in a NEON ! Laffs... an appropriate quote (and im being silly yall) from the legendary JAY-Z (lol) "We don't drive X5s... we give em to baby mamas "

Really though, I like the GX hands down. Now... dont getcha pantiez in a bunch if you all dont agree with me.. after all.. this is MY opinion. =) B EZ

Last edited by GXLUV; 10-13-04 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 07:15 AM
beezy21
Driver School Candidate

Red face I must agree....

As a woman, I like the RX but I even find them a little too jellybean for my personal preference, nonetheless I would drive one if the GX was not an option. I am seriously not trying to offend any gentlemen that drive RX's, it is a great vehicle and I have male friends that drive them. However, I must add that my husband is 6'4" and 230 (very athletic build) and when I mentioned getting an RX or GX he said he would "refuse" to drive the RX. He has mentioned it looks like a glorified "minivan." And before y'all go thinking my husband is just a big meathead, he is actually a physician in the middle of his surgical residency. The RX may handle better, yada yada, but it is just too small for some men to feel comfortable in-especially if they are corn-fed Nebraska boys and headroom in a vehicle is a factor. Ultimately however, it must come down to what you feel comfortable in and your own personal preference. Either way, it is a win-win situation!
Old 10-14-04, 03:22 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does your husband know that a job as a Patriots tight end requires much shorter hours than a surgeon?

The first thing I noticed when driving a friend's RX330 was the exhaust rumble, compared to my GX. Seems Lexus wanted a more masculine sounding exhaust note. From an all sounds point of view, the GX is definitely a quieter vehicle IMO.
Old 10-15-04, 08:30 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have to agree with those of you who said the GX has more of a "guy" feel to it. This is because it is a truck-based SUV rather than a car-based crossover. It is one of the things I've enjoyed about my QX4. It's much rougher around the edges than an RX330, but I still like the look. The GX will probably be my next vehicle because it seems the next logical progression. Similar look w/ side flares, running boards... even the interior is similar with the two tone brown/ivory and light wood.

By the way, I bought the QX4 as a daily driver when I had my SC430 because it was getting so beat up in the commute, and I've actually grown to like driving an SUV better than a car. Being a "car guy" I never thought I'd say that! Good to see that most of you are happy with the GX.
Old 10-15-04, 10:49 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Default Re: I must agree....

Originally posted by beezy21
As a woman, I like the RX but I even find them a little too jellybean for my personal preference, nonetheless I would drive one if the GX was not an option. I am seriously not trying to offend any gentlemen that drive RX's, it is a great vehicle and I have male friends that drive them. However, I must add that my husband is 6'4" and 230 (very athletic build) and when I mentioned getting an RX or GX he said he would "refuse" to drive the RX. He has mentioned it looks like a glorified "minivan." And before y'all go thinking my husband is just a big meathead, he is actually a physician in the middle of his surgical residency. The RX may handle better, yada yada, but it is just too small for some men to feel comfortable in-especially if they are corn-fed Nebraska boys and headroom in a vehicle is a factor. Ultimately however, it must come down to what you feel comfortable in and your own personal preference. Either way, it is a win-win situation!
6'4" 230 pound SURGEON!! WOW lol He's gonna probably SCARE a few diseases into remission !! Lol. No surgical instruments necessary... Seriously though, He's an inch taller than me and unfortunately about 5 pounds lighter He would DEFINATELY need to be "STUFFED" into an RX.

But, I will say that for some reason I seem to see more WOMEN driving GX's than I see men...??? (in Atlanta) Hmmmmm .. might I be rolling in a (AH-NULD voice) "Girly ride" ?? Lol Anyone else notice that?