GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help with Factory Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 05:18 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Factory Tow Hitch

Our 04 GX came with the factory tow hitch rated at 6,500 lbs. It was a $420 option on the sticker as is also listed on Edmunds and KBB.

Here's the prob. My father-in-law found the pefect new GX on the lot with every option he wants except for the tow hitch. We wanted to buy the truck this evening, however according to service and parts, the hitch they put on at the dealership is only rated at 5,000 lbs. They claim that only the factory hitches are the 6,500 lb model.

What gives?? I know the dealership wants us to buy our 3rd Lexus there and they are even willing to go through the hassle of doing a dealer search and trade. I can't believe they can't get a factory hitch. I looked at our factory hitch and it looks like it bolts right on.

Anyone else get their new GX without the hitch and then have the dealer put on the factory hitch? If so, do you have a part number by any chance and can you verify that the hitch sticker says 6,500 lbs, just like the ones that came from the factory?

Thanks so much.

Steve
Old 11-06-04, 11:02 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch

We have been discussing this on another post. Here's what I found:

The 470 engine has an EPA problem when it's towing. As a result, my new GX 470 has all the electrical hook-ups and hitch bracket (the entire towing package). Problem is, no hitch. My Lexus dealer was perplexed and found out that to order the hitch they have to submit your VIN to Lexus. Lexus then checks to see of your particular engine passes the EPA test. If so, they will sell it to you. If not, forget it.

I checked the 4Runners on the lots of our Toyota dealers. All the V6s have a hitch, but none of the V8s do. This bears out what my dealer discovered since the 4Runner V8 is the 470 engine. Here's what I have done:

I got the V6 hitch (with lower capacity) from the Toyota dealer for about $200. It requires you to remove the bumper (looks easy enough) and replace the hitch bracket that's already mounted there. The V6 hitch does not mount to the frame rails, which accounts for its lower tow rating. I ordered that bumper knock-out with a notch from my Lexus dealer for about $65. This gives the same configuration as the 4Runner V6 and allows about a two-inch higher mount than you get with an after-market hitch. (The best place to order those, in my opinion, is from eTrailer.com. Outstanding service. Price is only $149.) The Hidden Hitch requires you to remove the bracket that holds your electrical connector and relocate it to a place provided on the hitch. I put a Hidden Hitch on my RX in about 40 minutes. It's a simple bolt-on arrangment. It looks like a very nice set-up on the GX, but since I really do take mine off road, I really need that extra couplyeof departure angle degrees that the integrated hitch gives.