GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Where's your AVS?
Position 1 - Full Comfort
14.46%
Position 2 - Mostly Comfort
50.60%
Position 3 - Mostly Sport
24.10%
Position 4 - Full Sport
10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What Variable Suspension Setting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 03:41 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With KDSS option, I am always on Soft mode. You get all the cornering you need. The only reason I sometimes select a firmer suspension setting is if the road gets very bouncy.
Old 01-21-05, 10:07 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by looknow12
You might be joking, but just for the heck of it, here's my comment.

Do not turn the center differential lock on when driving on hard pavement. It can and will cause damage. The front and rear wheels are supposed to be able to travel at different speeds. This is not possible with the Cent Diff ON and something has to give. Certainly the wheels will drag over the pavement, but over time, this incredible stress on the drive components will promote excessive wear and tear.
If this were the case, why would the owners manual fail to mention it?? i read everything about it in there and there's nothing written that would lead me to believe that there is ANY harm driving with it on!
Old 01-21-05, 11:34 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allisonb1013
If this were the case, why would the owners manual fail to mention it?? i read everything about it in there and there's nothing written that would lead me to believe that there is ANY harm driving with it on!
Doesn't say harm, but does say:

pg 414:

NOTICE
For normal driving on dry and hard surface roads,
unlock the center differential. To prevent damage to the
center differential lock system, do not push the center
differential lock switch when the vehicle is cornering or
when its wheels are spinning freely off the ground. If the
indicator light does not go off when unlocking the
center differential, drive straight ahead while
accelerating or decelerating, or drive in reverse.

Also you lose VSC (pg 411, 412), which you see buy the VSC Off light coming on.

Finally, have you tried locking the center diff, then do a slow, tight turn on dry pavement. Almost, doesn't move, and that's tire your leaving on the street.
Old 08-21-05, 09:42 PM
Donger
Driver

After driving an X5 4.4i with the sport package for 3 years, I've had the GX in the full sport mode for the first 3-4 months - just used to a very stiff ride. I've moved to the mostly sport mode now, but I find myself switching around all 4 settings quite frequently. I am amazed how much difference you can actually feel.

CivicFerio - those are great pics on the track. I used to take the X5 to BMW CCA driving events. It is great fun to see people's expressions when you can get an SUV around the track. The lead driving instructor would always show off with his stock Ford Explorer - amazing how he could keep up with the 540's and 330's. You've inspired me - I think I am going to take my GX to the next track day!
Old 06-25-08, 08:26 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Sport.

Comfort mode gives a "disconnected" feeling - a driver is VERY isolated from the road. I prefer a more "direct feel".

When driving with my baby in the carseat, then I switch to Full Comfort, to make it better for the little guy.
Old 06-26-08, 11:50 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CivicFerio
Looknow12,

Thank you for comments. I'm aware of the drive line stress by driving with the center diff. locked. I actually drove it locked for a few corners few weeks ago, I didn't do 90° turns just smooth 40mph sweeping turns. And the truck understeers ready bad because the power split is locked at 50/50. Whereas when it's unlocked the torsen LSD splits the torque 40% front and 60% rear on straight line driving and during cornering it gives the rear wheels even more torque to reduce understeer.

Charleston
Just a quick nitpick.

Yes, the torsen's default torque bias is 40f 60r. it's capable of going to nearly 100% front or rear in extreme situations. It doesn't automatically transfer torque to the rear when cornering, unless the fronts have lost traction.

I'm a huge fan of the torsen center diff. Same setup that our past 4 audis (including 3 s4s), although the Lexus ironically gets the more sporting 40/60 setup as opposed to the 50/50 setup all but the most recent audis use.

Trust me, you're better off leaving the center diff unlocked on the track
Old 07-09-08, 04:02 PM
Huntington
Rookie

Anyone have a KDSS equipped GX with a Tow Package? I have KDSS and am considering getting a tow package, but now I'm skeptical.
Old 07-09-08, 04:23 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Huntington
Anyone have a KDSS equipped GX with a Tow Package? I have KDSS and am considering getting a tow package, but now I'm skeptical.

Yes, I tow a bunch w/my KDSS equipped GX. Why are you skeptical? If anything, the KDSS GXs should tow a bit better than the non-KDSS trucks -- better roll control due to the stiffer anti-roll bars.
Old 07-14-08, 04:30 PM
Huntington
Rookie

I was skeptical because I had heard that the suspension might interfere with a hitch. I figured the best way to find out would be to see if anyone out there already has a KDSS equipped GX with a Tow Package. Thanks for confirming!