GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone have their glove box replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-04, 05:10 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Anyone have their glove box replaced?

I know this sounds like a random question, but I was wondering how the key/lock issue is handled. Does the dealer order a glove box withe the "correct" lock cylinder based on your VIN, or do they need to transfer the lock over?

I'm just curious... Mine will be replaced soon, and it didn't occur to me to ask when I set up the appointment. I just thought of this... I have found no info on other threads. People have had the box replaced, but there is no mention of the key.

Thanks!

Last edited by caha14; 10-23-04 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-24-04, 03:35 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have their glove box replaced?

Originally posted by caha14
I know this sounds like a random question, but I was wondering how the key/lock issue is handled. Does the dealer order a glove box withe the "correct" lock cylinder based on your VIN, or do they need to transfer the lock over?

I'm just curious... Mine will be replaced soon, and it didn't occur to me to ask when I set up the appointment. I just thought of this... I have found no info on other threads. People have had the box replaced, but there is no mention of the key.

Thanks!
if i may ask, why are you replacing it?
Old 10-24-04, 03:45 PM
caha14
Racer

Default Re: Re: Anyone have their glove box replaced?

Originally posted by Rx900
if i may ask, why are you replacing it?
No problem! Check out my original post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=132005

Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-04, 03:55 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

ohhh, strange. Sounds like the glove box rattle problem i had on my Rx300 (which eventually got worse, and even created a dash rattle after trying to fix it). So If i were you, I'd ignore it. It's minor. TAke me for example, my claddings are rattling, I just turn up the stereo and ignore it. once you have the dealer try fixing it, chances of other problems arising from it is higher than just living with the glove rattle.this is the problem i'm having with my thump issue. had the dealer fix it, up to now still have it, got worse,and have a different problem to go with it also!
Old 10-24-04, 04:32 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally posted by Rx900
ohhh, strange. Sounds like the glove box rattle problem i had on my Rx300 (which eventually got worse, and even created a dash rattle after trying to fix it). So If i were you, I'd ignore it. It's minor. TAke me for example, my claddings are rattling, I just turn up the stereo and ignore it. once you have the dealer try fixing it, chances of other problems arising from it is higher than just living with the glove rattle.this is the problem i'm having with my thump issue. had the dealer fix it, up to now still have it, got worse,and have a different problem to go with it also!
I hear you, I've had similar things happen before with other cars, and I agree that sometimes it's better to leave things alone. The thing is that in this case, they're simply swapping glove boxes, which is very easy (except for the lock part that I was asking about). No need to mess around with the dash. In my original post, I was unsure whether they could take the glove box apart and adjust the latch, but that is not happening. I'm just hoping that the problem is indeed an out-of-spec box.

When I went on a road test with the shop foreman (who's very sharp), I mentioned getting the thump very rarely on my '04 9700G, and he suggested that I have them take a look at it. They don't need to replace the drive shaft (my VIN is unaffected), but he said that they can polish the splines (part of the service bulletin, which your dealer maybe did - or not??). He left it up to me, but seemed confident and optimistic about this fix. Since I'm keeping the same part, I don't see this as a high risk move - it could only improve the problem (less friction/binding).

It's going in next week...
Old 10-24-04, 05:15 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by caha14
I hear you, I've had similar things happen before with other cars, and I agree that sometimes it's better to leave things alone. The thing is that in this case, they're simply swapping glove boxes, which is very easy (except for the lock part that I was asking about). No need to mess around with the dash. In my original post, I was unsure whether they could take the glove box apart and adjust the latch, but that is not happening. I'm just hoping that the problem is indeed an out-of-spec box.

When I went on a road test with the shop foreman (who's very sharp), I mentioned getting the thump very rarely on my '04 9700G, and he suggested that I have them take a look at it. They don't need to replace the drive shaft (my VIN is unaffected), but he said that they can polish the splines (part of the service bulletin, which your dealer maybe did - or not??). He left it up to me, but seemed confident and optimistic about this fix. Since I'm keeping the same part, I don't see this as a high risk move - it could only improve the problem (less friction/binding).

It's going in next week...
i see what they are doing. Well think of my problem also. It was just a glove rattle on my Rx300, right? Well they ended up going inside the dash and creating a new rattle in da dash! good luck with urs