GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470 - Why I am waiting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 05:07 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by thurstonh3
here is written confirmation of what we aleady knew
Thank you for this most welcomed news! End of November availability? That is close! I just hope all is on schedule!
Old 11-13-04, 11:42 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Let's see what happens on November 15th when the pricing is avaialable for the 2005s! Maybe at least we can get some photos (but that doesn't seem likely until December per the Toyota Pressroom update).
Old 11-14-04, 03:41 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ordered

I ordered a '05 fully loaded, including sport pack. Didn't see any pictures but was comfortable enough. I believe I can choose not to take delivery since there are plenty out there wanting the fully loaded GX. I can't wait till I see some pictures of the sport pack. This is sort of like a blind date.
Old 11-14-04, 03:44 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i heard from my sales guy that the pricing for an 04 is the same as the 05, even cheaper monthly payments for wither lease or mortgage for the 05s because of the resale value (DUH! ) . It's official that the 05s are coming in, I think in 2 weeks was what my sales guy called me up the other day.

Last edited by Rx900; 11-14-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 04:32 PM
davidc1
Rookie

I believe the price increase is $400. Plus the third row is no longer free. It was made free to move out the late '04s. Good move considering the new upgraded engine. If you are leasing, it makes more sense to go wth '05. The price difference is nonexistant.
Old 11-14-04, 04:35 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by davidc1
I believe the price increase is $400. Plus the third row is no longer free. It was made free to move out the late '04s. Good move considering the new upgraded engine. If you are leasing, it makes more sense to go wth '05. The price difference is nonexistant.
All this can be confirmed in the attachment in this same thread that thurstonh3 posted earlier (PDF FILE). It tells all, except showing photos. There is that price increase and no more free 3rd row. My local Lexus Dealers says this PDF File is the same letter he received.
Old 11-14-04, 04:36 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: ordered

I ordered a '05 fully loaded, including sport pack. Didn't see any pictures but was comfortable enough. I believe I can choose not to take delivery since there are plenty out there wanting the fully loaded GX. I can't wait till I see some pictures of the sport pack. This is sort of like a blind date.
Where in NJ DAVIDC1? I am in central / southern NJ and they won't take orders just yet, but they may do so this week based on the pricing being available on November 15th.
Old 11-14-04, 05:55 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Non-existant price difference? Are you for real? The 04's are discounted out the ying-yang right now. Even if you lease the price is STILL $5K difference. Are you saying that the residual of the 04's is currently $5K lower than the residual on the 05's?
Old 11-14-04, 06:35 PM
jeremysm
Driver School Candidate

Bunka is right on...if you call your local Lexus dealership and ask for the finance department you can find out what the actual residual will be for the '05. I actually talked to the finance manager a little over a month ago and they already had the residuals on the '05--which will be at 57% of the MSRP (there is always a little flexibility in this rate and it will depend on the lender and the deal).

Here are the lease figures you will undoubtedly see. Below I will further explain the method on how these figures were reached:

'05 with MSRP of $54,368, Cap Cost of $51,500, Residual $30,990, Int Rate of 4.25% (or .00177), 36 month term, Tax rate of 7.95% yields a payment of $772.63 (nothing down).

'04 with MSRP of $51,938 (my car), Cap Cost of $46,600, residual $29,605, Int Rate of 4.25% (or .00177), 36 month term, Tax rate of 7.95% yields a payment of $655.22 (nothing down).

Now, compare my '04 with the '05 (I created a spreadsheet for all the fine details):
An '04 GX with NAV/MLS, RSES, Tow, Spoiler, third row seating and with destination will cost $1500 over invoice (with advertising it will be approx $46,600). MSRP is $51,938
An '05 with the same equipment will start at MSRP which would be $54,368 (I had to add back in $2030 for the third row seats). You should be able to get the vehicle within the first 3-4 months for $3000 below MSRP---so you'll pay $51,500 or so.

Out of pocket difference will be roughly $4,226.76 and your residual value, if you deal with the correct lender, will be pretty close.

REMEMBER, I am figuring that you can get the vehicle at $3,000 below MSRP out of the gate---a factor that may or may not be attainable. Also, I used an interest rate which is if you have a credit score above 725 (or something like that). If either of these are untrue, and if you get hosed on your lease residual then you will be paying the difference out of your pocket over 36 payments or the like.

Bottom line is this: Is Bluethooth and the engine worth paying $120 additional each month? I rested with my decision that it was not--but everybody is different and perhaps there is something special coming out on the '05's that we don't know about yet. If you wait, find out the info about the '05 and figure the '04 is better for you, then you may have risked the chance that your exact want (color, features etc.) is not available....

Lots of personal variables to weigh....
Old 11-14-04, 08:55 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Default '04 vs '05

Well, I am just speaking from my experience. I live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and here's what I've been quoted: 1) '04 with NAV, RES, 3rd row, MSRP approx. $51K, $775 including tax ; 2) '05 with NAV/RES/3rd row, Sport Package (KDSS + some minor stuff), MSRP $55K, $825/mo including tax. Considering '05 had Sport Pack + VVT engine + bluetooth (which I don't care about), '05 made too much sense for me. The sense I got was that as '05 start to arrive, '04 residuals are relatively lower, perhaps the '05 upgrades makes the pre-'05s less desirable? The salesman agreed that current (November) '04 lease wasn't a very good deal.

However, if you intend to buy, I am sure you can easily get approx. $3000 off MSRP on '04s. I was only offered 2.5% off on '05s. Considering that '04s come with free 3rd row, it's almost a no brainer.
Old 11-14-04, 08:58 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: '04 vs '05

Well, I am just speaking from my experience. I live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and here's what I've been quoted: 1) '04 with NAV, RES, 3rd row, MSRP approx. $51K, $775 including tax ; 2) '05 with NAV/RES/3rd row, Sport Package (KDSS + some minor stuff), MSRP $55K, $825/mo including tax. Considering '05 had Sport Pack + VVT engine + bluetooth (which I don't care about), '05 made too much sense for me. The sense I got was that as '05 start to arrive, '04 residuals are relatively lower, perhaps the '05 upgrades makes the pre-'05s less desirable? The salesman agreed that current (November) '04 lease wasn't a very good deal.

However, if you intend to buy, I am sure you can easily get approx. $3000 off MSRP on '04s. I was only offered 2.5% off on '05s. Considering that '04s come with free 3rd row, it's almost a no brainer.
Hey Davidc1,

My dealership keeps telling me the KDSS / Sports Package will be a special order, so the delivery maybe longer and this is also due to the allocation. They told me the same thing last year when I was interested in a RX with performance package. It almost seems like my dealer deters me away from the Sports Package options which I am not sure why.

What did your dealer tell you on the 05 GX470 delivery with the Sports Package? Easily attainable or long wait as compared to a NON-Sports Package version?
Old 11-14-04, 09:07 PM
davidc1
Rookie

I was told that you can't order KDSS separately (technically yes but that's not how Lexus will build it). You pretty much have to get the Sport Pack to get KDSS in my area. I was told that the truck should arrive in December. They promised to give me a loaner if it doesn't arrive by end of Dec.
Old 11-14-04, 09:12 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I was told that you can't order KDSS separately (technically yes but that's not how Lexus will build it). You pretty much have to get the Sport Pack to get KDSS in my area. I was told that the truck should arrive in December. They promised to give me a loaner if it doesn't arrive by end of Dec.
Hey Davidc1,

Thanks for the delivery confirmation.

The Lexus Dealer Letter posted in this same thread was on the dot when it said $400 increase for 2005, no free 3rd row seating anymore, sports package with KDSS only slightly more than if getting KDSS anyways as compared to 2004. It did say first 2005s showing up at the of November, however I hope these is enough Sports Package / KDSS allocation, so we don't have to wait too long.

My dealer still has 2004s comin in (beginning of December, so that must be his last lot).

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-14-04, 09:19 PM
davidc1
Rookie

lexguynj,

Glad to be of any help. I am actually willing to settle for non sport if the right color comes in. It will be $1800 off and it's mostly for the wife anyway. But of course I'll change my mind if I see some pictures and I really like it. The deal is a deal and I can drive their RX loaner as long as it takes to get one I ordered in. By the way, it appears that we have similar tastes in cars.

davidc1
Old 11-14-04, 09:24 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

lexguynj,

Glad to be of any help. I am actually willing to settle for non sport if the right color comes in. It will be $1800 off and it's mostly for the wife anyway. But of course I'll change my mind if I see some pictures and I really like it. The deal is a deal and I can drive their RX loaner as long as it takes to get one I ordered in. By the way, it appears that we have similar tastes in cars.

davidc1
We are like long lost twins! I drive the 2003 BMW 330i sport, just like you are driving your Bimmer too. Most fun car I have ever owned and driven. I look forward to more room in the 5 series in the near future.

The GX is for my wife also! I realize that she may not need the sports package too, but we drive her vehicle often on the weekends when we go out together with our 10 month year old daughter (the 3 series is too small for this in my opinion). So this means I will drive it and I want to look forward to driving it, so my impractical side is saying go for a 05 instead of the 04, for more power, sports package (besides you too know the fun factor in the sports package option BMW offers, so you just can't resist going for the sports package option finally offerred by Lexus!

Last edited by lexguynj; 11-14-04 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470 - Why I am waiting.