GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You?
We still hate it
19.72%
It's slightly annoying
23.94%
It's proven to be no big deal
38.03%
We have come to like it better
18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04, 07:35 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate

Advantages and disadvantages. Overall it may be better than a liftgate IF you could open the glass...from the bottom.
Old 11-28-04, 11:20 PM
lexuslvr
Driver School Candidate

After thinking about it a bit, I really could not think of anything I would do different.
If it had a glass top opening, being that I am not 6'...I would have trouble reaching in.
If it opened with two doors, it would be a pain if space behind is limited.
If it had a lift gate like my RX....geesh, I'll NEVER get it closed.
As big as that door is now, it works for me! Expecially the hinge lock that keeps it in place while open!
Old 01-19-05, 01:05 PM
et415
Rookie

I hated the rear door because it would always swing shut on me and because the only way to lock it was in the fully open position. Then I recently took my GX in for its 30-day service. I complained a bit about it, but I didn't see the advisor write anything. When I got home, I realized that they had done something to the door that made stopped it from slamming shut on me every time even on a level surface...it's something that I would have expected it to do from the beginning, so maybe there was something wrong with my door to begin with and the technician fixed it during the normal inspection. So now the rear door acts like the side doors...with little "hump stops" that keep it open at various angles (though obviously not if the car is inclined the wrong way).
Old 01-19-05, 03:59 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's probably the only thing on the car I don't like..... I like many others, I wish it had a way to lower the rear window..
Old 01-19-05, 04:01 PM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

After having an X5 that opens up and down, I thought I would hate the GX door and I still do after a year. Everything about it stinks. It always closes on you and it is dangerous. Everying falls out because the netting is useless. Despite what some are saying, it is a serious fault in design.
Old 01-19-05, 04:46 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Before buying my GX I thought "no big deal, we'll get used to it" well I've only had mine for 2 months now and I officially hate the damn thing and will never get used to it. At the very least they should have allowed access through the glass or made it open to the drivers side so that when you're parallel parked it doesn't block sidewalk access, stupid!
Old 01-19-05, 05:04 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by et415
I hated the rear door because it would always swing shut on me and because the only way to lock it was in the fully open position. Then I recently took my GX in for its 30-day service. I complained a bit about it, but I didn't see the advisor write anything. When I got home, I realized that they had done something to the door that made stopped it from slamming shut on me every time even on a level surface...it's something that I would have expected it to do from the beginning, so maybe there was something wrong with my door to begin with and the technician fixed it during the normal inspection. So now the rear door acts like the side doors...with little "hump stops" that keep it open at various angles (though obviously not if the car is inclined the wrong way).
In case you didn't realize, it does have a mechanism to lock it in to place...
Old 01-19-05, 05:40 PM
et415
Rookie

Originally Posted by gx470atl
In case you didn't realize, it does have a mechanism to lock it in to place...
Yes, I know. In my original messages I noted: "the only way to lock it was in the fully open position." But sometimes (in my case, most of the time), I prefer to open it only partially....in which case there is no way to lock it in place partially open. But now I have my little humps, which help keep the door partially open, so I'm happy.
Old 01-19-05, 06:04 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I know. In my original messages I noted: "the only way to lock it was in the fully open position." But sometimes (in my case, most of the time), I prefer to open it only partially....in which case there is no way to lock it in place partially open. But now I have my little humps, which help keep the door partially open, so I'm happy.
Sorry, didnt see the original post.....
Old 01-20-05, 06:18 PM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

I'm a little worried that I won't be able to access the back when I use my hitch-mounted bike rack. Anyone able to do so?
Old 01-20-05, 06:23 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

It must NOT be only with my 2005, however my GX470's rear door holds into place in 2 different positions. Halfway and fully extended, so it doesn't slam shut on me. I thought this was a normal thing or maybe just new with the 2005 models?
Old 01-20-05, 08:06 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
It must NOT be only with my 2005, however my GX470's rear door holds into place in 2 different positions. Halfway and fully extended, so it doesn't slam shut on me. I thought this was a normal thing or maybe just new with the 2005 models?
The GX rear door has always had the two detent positions.
Old 01-21-05, 08:56 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Mark me down as always have loved it. Just yesterday I was standing on the bumper changing out of my wetsuit in a dirt parking lot. My feet and wetsuit stayed clean. I'm 6'3" too, and had more than enough of hitting my head on tailgate's.

The swing door rocks!
Old 03-24-05, 06:52 PM
honestjack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bareyb
GX Owners! After having owned a GX for a while, has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You after all, or is it no big deal? In our case, as much as I disliked it initially it has proven to be no big deal. My Wife even likes it better because it's easier to open and close when she just needs to grab something for one of the Kids out of the back. It has not shown to be an obstacle even when somebody is very close to parked on my rear end. Looks are deceiving. In reality a car would have to be almost sitting on my bumper for it to be an issue. It does lock open, and that makes it decent for hauling and I like that you can stand on the rear bumper to wash the roof. No ladder needed anymore. Just stand in all the doors.
I have had my GX for about one month. I find the side opening door very handy. I can open it a small amount and put in small objects without having to open the entire door as will my previous lift gate. Also, I don't have to duck my head when loading the rear area. I have not had problems with the swinging shut as others have mentioned. There is a locking mechanism to prevent this from happening.
Old 03-26-05, 03:26 PM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

I like it a lot better than the hatch that was on our Subaru outback.

Quick Reply: GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You?