GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You?
We still hate it
19.72%
It's slightly annoying
23.94%
It's proven to be no big deal
38.03%
We have come to like it better
18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 11:15 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Turned out to be a problem after all?

GX Owners! After having owned a GX for a while, has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You after all, or is it no big deal? In our case, as much as I disliked it initially it has proven to be no big deal. My Wife even likes it better because it's easier to open and close when she just needs to grab something for one of the Kids out of the back. It has not shown to be an obstacle even when somebody is very close to parked on my rear end. Looks are deceiving. In reality a car would have to be almost sitting on my bumper for it to be an issue. It does lock open, and that makes it decent for hauling and I like that you can stand on the rear bumper to wash the roof. No ladder needed anymore. Just stand in all the doors.

Last edited by bareyb; 11-09-04 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 10:48 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where's the poll vote selection for those of us who have ALWAYS loved the rear door just the way it is???

Old 11-10-04, 10:51 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by allisonb1013
where's the poll vote selection for those of us who have ALWAYS loved the rear door just the way it is???

So you're the one!

Seriously though... What do you like about it? Care to expand on what attracted you to it in the first place? Might help some perspective buyers get over their fears!
Old 11-10-04, 10:59 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally posted by bareyb
So you're the one!

Seriously though... What do you like about it? Care to expand on what attracted you to it in the first place? Might help some perspective buyers get over their fears!
LOL!! that's me!!!

that rear door was actually a big selling point for me. i'm 6'1"! when i was looking at suvs all i could think of is me one day at the grocery store pulling that stupid hatch door down and knocking myself out cold!

plus, the rear window is MUCH easier to clean when it's at eye level.

the only complaint i have is that the window doesn't go down, but i think everyone on CL wishes they did that.
Old 11-11-04, 09:23 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by allisonb1013

the only complaint i have is that the window doesn't go down, but i think everyone on CL wishes they did that.
rear window going down would be a gold mine!! i really wish they would have done it.. i mean the 4 runners haev it :-\
Old 11-11-04, 11:55 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmmmm. It would be nice being 6"1" but then again, I would want a rear window that opens. It's just a little too much of a stretch for me to comfortably use an open rear window for any loading/unloading. I'm used to the rear door and it would be my preference over a conventional rear door without power assist.
Old 11-11-04, 12:06 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by gs400jon
Hmmmmm. It would be nice being 6"1" but then again, I would want a rear window that opens. It's just a little too much of a stretch for me to comfortably use an open rear window for any loading/unloading. I'm used to the rear door and it would be my preference over a conventional rear door without power assist.
Ooops. That's 6' 1".
Old 11-12-04, 08:01 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Football tailgating a hassle...

Would like to have either a drop down or raising rear gate (door). We tailgate at Chiefs & Mizzou games 10-12 times/year, and if you're wedged into a front spot, the car behind you may be so close, that opening the barn door is nearly impossible. Also liked the drop down gate to be used as a buffet table, or the raised gate as a roof protecting from sun or rain...
Old 11-15-04, 10:16 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ironically, this was one of selling points for me. My garage ceiling is not too high (due to sunken living room above) and my wife won't reach the tailgate if it was swing up type.
Old 11-17-04, 05:45 PM
Vonhasch
Driver School Candidate

I especially like the part when something falls against the back door and when you open the door everything falls to the street. I had a box of glass baby bottles break over the weekend. Oh yeah I just LOVE it.
Old 11-18-04, 01:09 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally posted by Vonhasch
I especially like the part when something falls against the back door and when you open the door everything falls to the street. I had a box of glass baby bottles break over the weekend. Oh yeah I just LOVE it.
umm... wouldn't that happen with the lift types as well?
Old 11-18-04, 03:37 PM
Vonhasch
Driver School Candidate

I guess it would depend on the type of liftgate. I love the way my BMW X5 liftgate is designed. The top (window) portion opens up and the bottom part opens down. That way if something falls against the bottom portion of the tailgate it doesn't fall to the ground when you open it. It also makes for a great changing station for the kiddies.
Old 11-18-04, 06:10 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point but I didn't like the X5/LR3 style myself. You have to really bend over to get things into the cargo area.
Old 11-19-04, 03:56 AM
Vonhasch
Driver School Candidate

The GX definitely is taller then the X5 so that helps but I'm 6'3" and I really don't have a problem with the X5 liftgate. If the bottom portion was open it might be tough to reach stuff towards the front but I just close the door and reach in. What the GX had over the X5 is room (a lot more). And to be perfectly honest it is the only reason we bought the GX and not another X5.
Old 11-23-04, 06:53 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

As a prospective GX470 future owner, based on your comments in this threat, I'd have to say that I like the GX470 so much that I can live in harmony with this swing out door and it will grow on me.

Quick Reply: GX Owners! Has the Side Opening Tailgate Become a Problem for You?