GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Weird sound on bumps - Part 2 - Steering Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 06:09 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Question Weird sound on bumps - Part 2 - Steering Issue?

Hi folks, a while ago I started a thread asking about a strange scraping/squeaking noise that I hear when I go over bumps with the driver's side front tire. My dealer is still trying to figure out what the problem is.

I am pretty certain that the noise is coming from somewhere in the steering system (likely the column), because I get a lot of feedback through the steering when I hear the noise. It's hard to describe the feedback, but it's along the lines of something being out of place/bound up and then falling into position (the drive shaft thump is a very good example of this type of problem).

It almost feels like an old car with loose steering; not as noisy, but I feel an ocassional clunk through the column. Sometimes, when i turn the wheel, I can actually hear the noise or a slight popping sound. Everything points to the steering column.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar? Also, if anyone has a picture from the service manual showing the components of the steering column on the GX, could you please post it or PM me? I'm trying to research the issue on my own while the dealer does its research to try to get this resolved soon. I am particularly unfamiliar with the telescoping motorized part of the column, and I'd like to see what the parts look like to try to identify potential sources of noise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-04, 08:20 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost the similar problem. I feel a creak on the steering wheel whenever I go through speed bumps or something that will make the 2 front wheels go up and down. I even does it when I accelerate hard from a stop.

I seems that it's coming from the steering column but why does it do it only with suspension movement? I'll try to isolate the problem and get back to you if I manage to fixed it.

Charleston
Old 11-18-04, 08:39 AM
caha14
Racer

Hi Charleston. I can also feel it when I accelerate from a stop. In fact, sometimes when I'm stopped at a light and I pump the brakes a bit to move forward slowly, I feel "click-click" on the steering wheel simultaneously with my engaging/disengaging of the brake pedal. I'll keep you posted as well. My dealer should be calling me back in the next few days with an update. They don't have the truck. They're just making calls and sending emails to see what they can find.
Old 11-18-04, 09:24 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by CivicFerio
I have almost the similar problem. I feel a creak on the steering wheel whenever I go through speed bumps or something that will make the 2 front wheels go up and down. I even does it when I accelerate hard from a stop.

I seems that it's coming from the steering column but why does it do it only with suspension movement? I'll try to isolate the problem and get back to you if I manage to fixed it.

Charleston
I have the same problem. It has been getting worse over the past 2 months so I was going to make an appt. with the dealer to have them look at it. It almost sounds like a squeek in the steering column, like there is something lose in there. If you find out that it is, let me know. When I get around to making the appt, I will post what they find out.
Old 11-18-04, 09:40 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally posted by CdeFabio
I have the same problem. It has been getting worse over the past 2 months so I was going to make an appt. with the dealer to have them look at it. It almost sounds like a squeek in the steering column, like there is something lose in there. If you find out that it is, let me know. When I get around to making the appt, I will post what they find out.
The more the merrier, I guess. Hopefully at least one of us will find out what this is soon! Now tell me, CdeFabio, in addition to the feedback on the steering wheel that we were talking about, do you hear a funny noise when you hit bumps (at a different time from the feedback)? Basically, sometimes I hear the noise and get the feedback later (after whatever's loose in there settles). Other times I hear the noise and get the feedback simultaneously.

Does this only happen when you hit things with the front left tire (like in my case), or with either tire? I guess it makes sense that the steering column will receive more feedback when something's hit with the driver's side wheel as opposed to the passenger's side, particularly since we have independent front suspension.

Last edited by caha14; 11-18-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 11:02 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally posted by caha14
The more the merrier, I guess. Hopefully at least one of us will find out what this is soon! Now tell me, CdeFabio, in addition to the feedback on the steering wheel that we were talking about, do you hear a funny noise when you hit bumps (at a different time from the feedback)? Basically, sometimes I hear the noise and get the feedback later (after whatever's loose in there settles). Other times I hear the noise and get the feedback simultaneously.

Does this only happen when you hit things with the front left tire (like in my case), or with either tire? I guess it makes sense that the steering column will receive more feedback when something's hit with the driver's side wheel as opposed to the passenger's side, particularly since we have independent front suspension.
My noise started when I turn the wheel to the left, sometimes I would hear a slight squeek from the steering column. I now notice it when I hit certain uneven roads and speed bumps. I have not noticed any bump or other feedback through the steering wheel when the squeeking noise happens, it is just a squeek in the steering column that you can hear if the radio is off. I also have a rattle somewhere in the passenger rear seat they are working on, not totally fixed but getting better. Has anyone had this one? Sounds like the seat is rattling when you go over very uneven/bumpy roads, but it does not do it on all roads. Very strange!
Old 11-22-04, 07:39 AM
caha14
Racer

Anybody else!? Are the three of us the only ones?
Old 11-22-04, 08:20 AM
modelaford
Driver

Smile

Mine has done this since they worked on the steering parts to tame down the vibration. Clunks in left front when hitting any size bump.
Old 12-11-04, 06:50 PM
caha14
Racer

Hi guys, any updates? Mine is going in for the 5k service on Monday, and they will be taking another look at the issue. Just wondering if any of you has had any luck...
Old 12-13-04, 06:11 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

The dealer foung nothing in the steering column. I hear it all the time but they can't seem to hear it. They found the squeek in the back seat, the 2 back seats rub together and the leather makes a squeeking noise that sounds like a plastic squeeking noise. Really strange but you can actually feel the 2 seats moving causing the noise. You can just condition the sides of the seats and it really helps. Has anyone else had this noise? They also replaced the rear door lock because of a TSB, it was causing the rear cargo area/door to squeek really bad. It fixed it.
Old 02-16-05, 07:53 AM
erayd8
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with the noise a couple years ago and took it to the dealer. The steering only made sounds if you turn left or right at slow speeds, especially in parking lots. They found the stabilizer bar to be loose. They put some lock-tight on the bolts and re-tightened them. According to them, it is common for the GS to have these symptoms. I hope this will help you guys.
Old 04-23-05, 01:41 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Just got my GX from the dealer yesterday. I took it in for the Lexus Link removal campain and to fix the suspension creak when driven over speed bumps. So far the creak is gone but I have to drive it more this weekend.

The cause was a loose steering shaft knuckle. They corrected it by lubing it up and retightening it.

Charleston
Old 04-25-05, 04:49 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CivicFerio
Just got my GX from the dealer yesterday. I took it in for the Lexus Link removal campain and to fix the suspension creak when driven over speed bumps. So far the creak is gone but I have to drive it more this weekend.

The cause was a loose steering shaft knuckle. They corrected it by lubing it up and retightening it.

Charleston
Thanks for the update!! I will have the dealer check it out the next time I am in for service. The noise has been getting worse so this is great news!
Old 04-28-05, 05:15 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CivicFerio

Charleston
So CivicFerio, did retightening the steering shaft knuckle fix the squeek?
Old 04-28-05, 10:08 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
So CivicFerio, did retightening the steering shaft knuckle fix the squeek?

Yup! So far the creak is gone! Good as new!

Charleston

Quick Reply: Weird sound on bumps - Part 2 - Steering Issue?