GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 09:57 AM
alien99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question remote starter

I am getting my GX '05 in less than 10 days. And I want to put in the remote starter (installed by Lexus dealer).

The dealer also presents me with the Remote Starter/Alarm plus, which gives me a passive alarm plus a cool 2-way remote for extra 500$ (on top of 600$ remote start feature).

My question is: even with the remote plus package, I still have to carry 2 keys (1 car key and 1 remote starter key). Is there to combine the functions of 2 keys into 1?

What's your experience with remote starter plus package?

Thanks.
Alien99
Old 12-08-04, 06:01 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Viper 791 two way pager.

Thats a lot of money Bro. send me a PM when you get the truck. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12-09-04, 08:38 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a real lot of $$.

Go see a reputable car electronics shop!
Old 12-09-04, 09:02 AM
alien99
Driver School Candidate

I definitely don't want to over paid for this.

But I was told if it's done by another party, certain components on the car will void the manufactor warantee.

I believe the dealer is using the Audiovox Prestige remote start

Alien99
Old 12-09-04, 09:27 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Angel's definitely the man to see. He did my car. What an excellent job. Very detailed orientated. You get much much much much more for your money.
Old 12-09-04, 12:17 PM
bsjoiner
Driver

I had my local stereo shop ( the are very good installers and have done things of my Lx470 and sc430 that were siad to be impossibel) install and ayutopage remote start and the used my panic button om my lexus key to activate the remote start feature. I never use the panic button so i dont mind not having it. The only onther downside to this is the limited range of the factory remote. I keep the remote that came with it in my house and one at work so that i can start the car in the moring and in the eving as i leave work with the extended range of the autopage remote. I also want to remind you that you will have to provide a lexus transponder key to be mounted under the dash to bypass the engine immobilizer. Good Luck!
Old 12-10-04, 06:48 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally posted by alien99
I definitely don't want to over paid for this.

But I was told if it's done by another party, certain components on the car will void the manufactor warantee.

I believe the dealer is using the Audiovox Prestige remote start

Alien99
dealerships exaggerate this so that you will pay them 2-3x more for the same job. you can check your state laws, but for the most part the consumer is protected from that kind of stuff. the dealership would have to prove that your modification was the true cause of the problem that they are refusing to cover. for a remote starter, i wouldn't worry about it.

like bsjoiner said, you will have to give up a key, but who uses the valet key anyway?
Old 12-10-04, 09:25 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: remote starter

Originally posted by alien99
My question is: even with the remote plus package, I still have to carry 2 keys (1 car key and 1 remote starter key). Is there to combine the functions of 2 keys into 1?

What's your experience with remote starter plus package?

Thanks.
Alien99
I had one installed by a company in Virginia called Car Spa. Mine works through the Lexus remote key. I press lock, then unlock, then lock and it starts it. The only problem is when I activate the starter, I can not use the unlock button to open the doors. I must use the key instead. Normally the unlock does work, but something about how the system uses the remote to make it work disables it for that short period of time (started remotely).

They had offered a second button option on my key chain but I declined. I can start the GX through most walls, and nearly 100ft away outside. I don't mind that small inconvenience.

Last edited by looknow12; 12-10-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 09:27 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Let me tell you something. When I purchased my Honda CR-V, I got the "factory" alarm from them. Cost me $450 (and it took a lot of time talking him down to $450). I was like "yeah, what the hell, this is my FIRST new car purchase in my life".

After I got the alarm, I found out that it wasn't a "factory" alarm. It was an "Automate" alarm. I also found out that it could have had that alarm installed at a stereo/alarm place for $250.

Then I found out that Honda CALL installers from these stereo/alarm places TO COME TO THE DEALERSHIP TO DO THE WORK.

I had an issue with the alarm. I took it back to Honda. Honda told me that their alarm guy wasn't in today. I went in another time and they said the same thing. Then they told me that they have a special guy doing just the alarms. When I actually spoke to that guy, he told me that he has his own shop and charges more than 50% less what what Honda is charging me.

So, lesson learned. I'll never install an "optional" alarm system from any dealership ever again.

Alien, let me tell you a little secret (and I hope Angel doesn't mind.....Angel, if this doesn't sound good, please PM me so I can edit my post).

Angel is an expert in alarms. He is in the business for a LONG time (ever since he was a kid). And I think Angel mentioned that he had ALSO done alarm work for the local Honda/Lexus/GM/Ford/Nissan/Toyota dealerships.

So, if you get decide to go to your local Lexus dealership to get the alarm installed and you pay $600, they may very well, call Angel up and ask him if he's available for a job.

At the end, you'll end up paying much more than you should....and you'll get a product that's crappier than what Angel will give you.

Heck for $600, I bet Angel can get you a product that allows you to auto-start/stop or lock/unlock your car from China.

Let me know if you want some pics of the install that Angel did to my car. This man is very detailed. No shortcuts taken. Everything was clean and everything was tucked back in place.

Last edited by Cadd; 12-10-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 09:32 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

See my post one up for the question you were asking. This topic appears to have gone off thread from the begining.
Old 12-10-04, 09:56 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

If that's your main concern, then you're in luck.

Do a search on "LMV". They are providing an alarm/auto-start system that adds-on to the OEM system. You can use your Lexus key fob to remote start the car.

However, there's a group buy going on right now. LMV is making it for the GS model only. I believe after the GS group buy, they'll move on to the SC model.

I really don't know if they plan to do this for the entire Lexus line. You should call them to ask.
Here, let me point you in the right direction
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...V&pagenumber=1

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=lmv

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ry+motor+works

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=140490
Old 12-10-04, 10:01 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh, by the way Car Spa's telephone information is

(703) 820-5400

Address

3846 S Four Mile Run Dr
Arlington , VA
Old 12-10-04, 02:56 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default factory alarm

Make sure that they leave the factory alarm the way it is. a lot installer disable it.in my GX i got both alarm working is more work but is worth it. man with that money we can put 791 viper and the GPS u will be able to start your GX from the internet and any phone fro any part of the world via satille.you can track your truck in the net. just give me call.http://www.drdetailshop.com/v200.htm https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Last edited by angelslex; 12-10-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 08:57 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, I have two alarms. Both working well together with each other.
Old 12-14-04, 01:19 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

Default Re: factory alarm

Originally posted by angelslex
Make sure that they leave the factory alarm the way it is. a lot installer disable it.in my GX i got both alarm working is more work but is worth it. man with that money we can put 791 viper and the GPS u will be able to start your GX from the internet and any phone fro any part of the world via satille.you can track your truck in the net. just give me call.http://www.drdetailshop.com/v200.htm https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1
i have both alarms working too. i always set both. it allows you to take advantage of the functionality of both alarm systems. plus you can still turn the lights off (when in auto mode) when you arm.