GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD - factory vs. dealer install

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 07:27 AM
alien99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DVD - factory vs. dealer install

I ordered the '05 GX without the rear DVD player, and it's on its way.

Now I am changing my mind, and want it. The dealer does not have one with the factory installed DVD player, and asked if I want the dealer to install it.

My question is: is there any difference in functionality/quality/price between factory and dealer installing?
I believe the price is a YES.

Alien99
Old 12-10-04, 08:27 AM
MarcP
Driver

There is a HUGE difference between factory & dealer (aftermarket) install... for one you will lose all functionality of having the front screen tied to the rear screen (ie. - no movies on the front screen or nav on the back screen).

I don't believe an aftermarket unit will integrate with the ML stereo as well either - maybe there will be one coming in with it that your dealer could switch you into....?

Others here have added the DVD player later though - they may have different opinions.
Old 12-10-04, 09:17 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

True. You will not here the audio through the ML system unless they install a horrible sounding RF transmitter where you'll tune to a low FM channel.
Old 12-10-04, 09:19 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Also, the unit I had installed (back on my 03) was a Audiovox (I think) and it hung down very far so we used to hit our head on it all the time. If you do go with aftermarket, make sure the Player is installed somewhere low and only a thin screen is mounted above.
Old 12-10-04, 10:18 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

Quality of display, installation, and DVD unit can be just as good, and if you are willing to spend, you can get better stuff than factory OEM. After-market installed can have advantages as well as disadvantages:

Pluses:
1. After market will be much cheaper (less than 1/2).
2. You can install multiple screens into the headrests, making the display clearer (not at an angle) to individual viewers. It would also ease neck strain.
3. You could also install more screen(s) for the 3rd row.
4. Each multiple screen could be used independently - one kid watches movie on one screen, and the second kid plays with his playstation game on the other screen.
5. You could install larger screen (I have seen people use 14" screens).

Minuses:
1. After-market dvd unit placement might not be optimal (can be done well if you find & pay for professional installation - like Angel).
2. Wiring placement might not be optimal (Wiring harness can be tucked well & hidden if you get expert installation).
3. No controls up front on the dash.
4. No movies on the front display.
5. You will be unable to use the Mark Lev sound sys for movies, unless you go for some kind of FM modulator or "tape-input", but then you lose sound quality.

You will have to weigh these, see what is most important to you, and then make a decision.

If it was I making this decision, the comfort of my kids, their necks and eye-strain would outweigh the sound quality (kids don't care about hi-fi-sound) and other issues. I would install two screen behind the headrests. My wife & I never watch any movies on the front display - music is sufficient even for long distances - kids take priority. However, in Canada, you have to get the DVD RSES if you want the backup camera & NAV (only one option bundle is available).

Last edited by Quant; 12-10-04 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 12:51 PM
Traturn
Driver

Also note that factory RSES will usualy give a higher residual / resale on a vehicle vs an aftermarket unit. We've done a few factory kit installations on LX's just for this reason. But of course there is no DIO kit for the GX.

Aftermarket can be less expensive than factory, but not always. A company called Invision has a new product that has separate DVD players in each headrest, so your kids could watch a different movie on each seat.

Getting replacement parts for an aftermarket kit 5 years from now would be very hit or miss. Largely dependant on the installing dealer making note of who/what/where the installation was done as well as mfr and model #. Company may not be around in 5 years if you're unlucky!
Old 12-10-04, 07:56 PM
orclex
Driver School Candidate

alien99,

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago, but decided at the end to go for the factory installed. Beleive me, you don't want an RES without the added benefits of NAV integration. I don't think the difference in price will make up for all the features an aftermarket unit will lack. IMHO, that integration is worth more than the price gap.

-poor sound quality (through FM ???)
-unable to see DVD on NAV screen
-unable to view MAP on Rear Screen
-etc........

Just watched a full movie today on both screen........Very happy with my decision.

Hope this help
Old 12-11-04, 04:36 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Also you get integrated audio/video source plugs in the back as well as volume controls for plug in headphones.

The remote is very nice too allowing for control of the DVD and the navigation system. It also lets you hear any of the other sources (FM, Tape, CD, etc) in the back through the headphones, or to control them.

Last edited by looknow12; 12-11-04 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-11-04, 11:13 AM
Tengbt
Driver School Candidate

...or just opt for the 'easy way' out and buy couple of portable dvd players for couple hundred bucks each. sure, it's not as cool, but u won't hv aftermarket tech. issues. also won't take up space in the truck, and u can carry it with you after you've arrived at yr destination.
Old 12-11-04, 11:51 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Alien,

Go with the factory one. If you look at one that doesn't have it, you'll notice they have to either totally remove or relocate the ceiling light.

Yes, it may mean that you have to wait additional time for ordering another, but if you're spending $50+K, you might as well be totally satisfied.

Just my two cents.

Steve
Old 12-14-04, 01:26 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alien,
Depends on what other options you got. Did you get the factory NAV?? If yes, then I would agree with everyone and say just get the factory one installed. If you've already spent that much, you won't save anything by getting the rest aftermarket. Put it this way, headrest monitors (7") will run you about 800+ each, a dropdown will be less expensive (mine is a 15.3", i paid $1500). If you don't have the factory NAV, then I would say go aftermarket all the way!