GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 08:13 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right. "It's a feature, not a bug."
Old 01-16-05, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by wogey
The reply was meant for you too.

I have been very interested with GX problems as I was about to buy one. At this point for me it is hard to spend 50K for a car that has such annoying operating problems.

But I found this on Edmunds forums and thought this is the fix your vibration problem. This car is the same as the US GX470.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_...ation/90hz.html

Sorry to say, the "clunk" will always be a part of the GX470 including the 2005s, though it may not be as bad as the first patches of cars for the 2003 model year. There are no drive line design changes for 2005 to fix the problem. It is a terrible engineering blunder, but Lexus has not admitted to this. It is pretty tough for them to accept returns for thousands of GX470 customers. It is better and less costly to keep it low profile and try to please the few that really get upset about the problem. How many times have you all out there heard from your service rep that it is the "attribute of the GX470", right !!. LX470 doesn't have this problem by the way. This is the official Lexus line they are using to communicate with GX customers. Do you really think Lexus engineers designed a Lexus luxury SUV with clunks to remind you at every stop that it is a smooth operating Lexus?
what a poo poo.
Old 01-17-05, 10:49 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Saying the clunk will "always be a part of the GX" is complete nonsense. I'd venture to say that the VAST majority of GX owners have no idea what this guy is talking about. It's not a feature or a bug because on most GX vehicles it doesn't exist! This is a tiny problem that doesn't affect ride quality or safety and is reputed to simply go away with time. I personally didn't worry about it and I'm glad I didn't. This is the most solid and well built vehicle I've ever owned.

To sum up, my GX has well over six thousand miles on it and I have never felt any clunk or heard any groan or experienced any of the problems a few GX owners have reported. Keep in mind, this is an online forum where people come to report problems. Therefore it makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.
Old 01-17-05, 11:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I only have 200 miles so far, so I don't hear any vibration, clunk, thump, whum ,
boom, ribbit-ribbit...
and if I do, this is the first I'll go to, then the dealer.
Old 01-17-05, 06:25 PM
crusit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470's

Thanks guys...... I sure appreciate your insight and I'm thinking about ordering a sports GX sometime late winter / early spring. I'll continue to monitor, but I'm getting the same feeling that while there may have been some GX's with the problems, it doesn't seem widespread. Also, if you look at other forums, there are a lot more problems with those other vehicles! Enjoy and let me know how about your experiences.
Old 01-18-05, 07:32 AM
BWL05
Driver School Candidate

The reply was meant for you too.

I have been very interested with GX problems as I was about to buy one. At this point for me it is hard to spend 50K for a car that has such annoying operating problems.

But I found this on Edmunds forums and thought this is the fix your vibration problem. This car is the same as the US GX470.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_...ation/90hz.html

Sorry to say, the "clunk" will always be a part of the GX470 including the 2005s, though it may not be as bad as the first patches of cars for the 2003 model year. There are no drive line design changes for 2005 to fix the problem. It is a terrible engineering blunder, but Lexus has not admitted to this. It is pretty tough for them to accept returns for thousands of GX470 customers. It is better and less costly to keep it low profile and try to please the few that really get upset about the problem. How many times have you all out there heard from your service rep that it is the "attribute of the GX470", right !!. LX470 doesn't have this problem by the way. This is the official Lexus line they are using to communicate with GX customers. Do you really think Lexus engineers designed a Lexus luxury SUV with clunks to remind you at every stop that it is a smooth operating Lexus?

FYI - Have been reading all post for SUV's with vibration problems. Just bought LX470 and is now in the shop because of booming vibration at idle and also a droning vibration noise at speeds between 50-60mph. Was told this is not a problem in other SUV's for Lexus, but seem it is for the GX, too. Will post our results on the LX forum. As a Toyota owner that moved up to Lexus we are really shocked by this. Never had one problem with the 4-Runner
Old 01-18-05, 09:43 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Default The "clunk" problem is REAL and more prevalent..

Originally Posted by bareyb
Saying the clunk will "always be a part of the GX" is complete nonsense. I'd venture to say that the VAST majority of GX owners have no idea what this guy is talking about. It's not a feature or a bug because on most GX vehicles it doesn't exist! This is a tiny problem that doesn't affect ride quality or safety and is reputed to simply go away with time. I personally didn't worry about it and I'm glad I didn't. This is the most solid and well built vehicle I've ever owned.

To sum up, my GX has well over six thousand miles on it and I have never felt any clunk or heard any groan or experienced any of the problems a few GX owners have reported. Keep in mind, this is an online forum where people come to report problems. Therefore it makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.

I just 'lemoned' my 2003 GX -- after multiple driveshaft adjustments and at one complete replacement (with a factory 're-designed" driveshaft) -- The problem appeared once again, after 2K miles. After driving Audi V8 Quattro for 7 years, one naturally becomes more tuned the driven vechicle... I suspect that most people just don't pay that much attention car noises...
And... the problems dont' disappear with time, quite the opposite, it becomes more pronounced

With all that said, I am still looking for the 2005 GX, (wife likes the looks and high ride) -- so I'll be the first to bring it in to the dealer. Lots of experience with this.
Old 01-19-05, 12:04 AM
westwood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metropol
I just 'lemoned' my 2003 GX -- after multiple driveshaft adjustments and at one complete replacement (with a factory 're-designed" driveshaft) -- The problem appeared once again, after 2K miles. After driving Audi V8 Quattro for 7 years, one naturally becomes more tuned the driven vechicle... I suspect that most people just don't pay that much attention car noises...
And... the problems dont' disappear with time, quite the opposite, it becomes more pronounced

With all that said, I am still looking for the 2005 GX, (wife likes the looks and high ride) -- so I'll be the first to bring it in to the dealer. Lots of experience with this.

Sorry to hear that!
I have 1,500 miles on my GX now, and have absolutely no vibration or clunk at all.
Very smooth and powerful.

Westwood
Old 01-20-05, 01:44 AM
wogey
Driver School Candidate

Default Clunk

Originally Posted by crusit
Thanks guys...... I sure appreciate your insight and I'm thinking about ordering a sports GX sometime late winter / early spring. I'll continue to monitor, but I'm getting the same feeling that while there may have been some GX's with the problems, it doesn't seem widespread. Also, if you look at other forums, there are a lot more problems with those other vehicles! Enjoy and let me know how about your experiences.

For those people out there that doesn't think the clunk is a problem or at the very least an untolerable annoyance for a 50K "luxury" car, then that in itself speaks a lot about those individuals. Most people buy Lexus for the luxury, smoothness, quietness, good reliability, and good service. If I wanted just a rough, tough, noisy truck, I would buy a Dodge, Ford, or GM and save a few thousand bucks. And most of those don't have any clunks. This kind of downplaying or acceptance for mediocrity is not only sad for us as car fanatics, but also shameful for us as a society. What ever happened to the drive to acheive excellence and perfection. This type of half-a_s design, engineering, and the lack of a true solution to solve the problem after 2+ model years is just not acceptable, period.

If the clunk is truely not out there for the GX, just ask your Lexus dealer or Lexus Corp to put it in WRITING that should your new GX have the clunks, that would qualify as not normal for the car and they will fix it. If it can't be fixed, they will take it back as a lemon. You'll see how far you'll get with that, and you will then know the real truth. If you can tolerate the clunk and its average reliability, I guess the GX is not a bad SUV. I wish you good luck with it.

BTW, I found these few service problems with the 2003 GX:

Bulletins for 2003 Lexus Truck GX 470 V8-4670cc 4.7L DOHC MFI

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. EG004-04 APR 04 Exhaust System - Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odors
2. DL001-04 APR 04 Driveline - Rear Driveshaft Clunk/Thump Noise
3. EL001-04 MAR 04 Electrical - 'Crank Hold Syst*** Jump Starting
4. ST004-04 FEB 04 Steering/Driveline - Vibration/Drone
5. AC001-04 JAN 04 A/C - Poor Cooling in High Temperatures
6. EG003-03 DEC 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's P0441, P0442/P0446 Set
7. SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
8. BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
9. EL015-03 NOV 03 Instruments - Inaccurate Outside Temperature Display
10. BO008-03 OCT 03 Interior - Console Box Door Won't Stay Closed
11. SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
12. SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure
13. BO005-03 SEP 03 Body - Hood is Difficult to Open
14. BO006-03 SEP 03 Interior - Rear Door Power Window Switch Loose
15. BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions
16. EL011-03 SEP 03 Body - Power Window 'AUTO-UP' Feature Malfunctions
17. SU001-03 AUG 03 Suspension - Squeak From Front on Sharp Bumps
18. EL010-03 AUG 03 Lexus Link System(R) - Error Detected
19. NV007-03 AUG 03 Body - Rear Door Grinding Noise
20. AU002-03 JUN 03 Audio System - Rear Audio/CD Changer Troubleshooting
21. BO004-03 JUN 03 Interior - Front Seats 'Loose' Feeling
22. EL006-03 JUN 03 Navigation System - Map Screen is Blank
23. AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather
24. PG003-03 MAY 03 Body - License Plate Mounting Precautions
25. TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function
26. NV003-03 APR 03 Interior - Seat Track Squeak/Creak Noise
27. NV002-03 APR 03 Engine - Engine Cover Buzzing Noise
28. EL002-03 MAR 03 Instruments - Service Maintenance Lamp Resetting
29. NV001-03 MAR 03 Interior - Front/3rd Row Seats Squeaks/Rattles
30. TC001-03 FEB 03 A/T - A750 Solenoid Identification
31. EG001-03 FEB 03 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell
32. SS005R-01 JAN 03 Diagnostic Tester - Immobilizer Function
33. PG016-02 OCT 02 Body - Moonroof Initialization Procedure
34. BO005-02 SEP 02 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Availability/Applications

I hope they don't screw up on the new 2006 GS as I plan to purchase. I guess only time will tell.
Old 01-20-05, 12:51 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

More than likely, the majority of GX owners don't experience the "clunk", myself included. If there was a design problem, virtually all the GX's would have the problem. My question is, how does this kind of thing happen? I certainly don't deny it's ridiculous for a $50K vehicle owner to have to explain to an unknowing passenger that no, we weren't rear ended just now, it's normal for this vehicle. Anyone have an idea how this kind of problem can exist when all the trucks are coming out of the same factory where the repeatability of the build process is more than likely extremely high? My best guess is different subcontractors who are building the drive shafts and/or associated parts for Lexus.
Old 01-20-05, 02:19 PM
loflin
Pole Position

For those people out there that doesn't think the clunk is a problem or at the very least an untolerable annoyance for a 50K "luxury" car, then that in itself speaks a lot about those individuals. Most people buy Lexus for the luxury, smoothness, quietness, good reliability, and good service. If I wanted just a rough, tough, noisy truck, I would buy a Dodge, Ford, or GM and save a few thousand bucks. And most of those don't have any clunks. This kind of downplaying or acceptance for mediocrity is not only sad for us as car fanatics, but also shameful for us as a society. What ever happened to the drive to acheive excellence and perfection. This type of half-a_s design, engineering, and the lack of a true solution to solve the problem after 2+ model years is just not acceptable, period.

If the clunk is truely not out there for the GX, just ask your Lexus dealer or Lexus Corp to put it in WRITING that should your new GX have the clunks, that would qualify as not normal for the car and they will fix it. If it can't be fixed, they will take it back as a lemon. You'll see how far you'll get with that, and you will then know the real truth. If you can tolerate the clunk and its average reliability, I guess the GX is not a bad SUV. I wish you good luck with it.

BTW, I found these few service problems with the 2003 GX:

Bulletins for 2003 Lexus Truck GX 470 V8-4670cc 4.7L DOHC MFI

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. EG004-04 APR 04 Exhaust System - Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odors
2. DL001-04 APR 04 Driveline - Rear Driveshaft Clunk/Thump Noise
3. EL001-04 MAR 04 Electrical - 'Crank Hold Syst*** Jump Starting
4. ST004-04 FEB 04 Steering/Driveline - Vibration/Drone
5. AC001-04 JAN 04 A/C - Poor Cooling in High Temperatures
6. EG003-03 DEC 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's P0441, P0442/P0446 Set
7. SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
8. BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
9. EL015-03 NOV 03 Instruments - Inaccurate Outside Temperature Display
10. BO008-03 OCT 03 Interior - Console Box Door Won't Stay Closed
11. SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
12. SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure
13. BO005-03 SEP 03 Body - Hood is Difficult to Open
14. BO006-03 SEP 03 Interior - Rear Door Power Window Switch Loose
15. BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions
16. EL011-03 SEP 03 Body - Power Window 'AUTO-UP' Feature Malfunctions
17. SU001-03 AUG 03 Suspension - Squeak From Front on Sharp Bumps
18. EL010-03 AUG 03 Lexus Link System(R) - Error Detected
19. NV007-03 AUG 03 Body - Rear Door Grinding Noise
20. AU002-03 JUN 03 Audio System - Rear Audio/CD Changer Troubleshooting
21. BO004-03 JUN 03 Interior - Front Seats 'Loose' Feeling
22. EL006-03 JUN 03 Navigation System - Map Screen is Blank
23. AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather
24. PG003-03 MAY 03 Body - License Plate Mounting Precautions
25. TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function
26. NV003-03 APR 03 Interior - Seat Track Squeak/Creak Noise
27. NV002-03 APR 03 Engine - Engine Cover Buzzing Noise
28. EL002-03 MAR 03 Instruments - Service Maintenance Lamp Resetting
29. NV001-03 MAR 03 Interior - Front/3rd Row Seats Squeaks/Rattles
30. TC001-03 FEB 03 A/T - A750 Solenoid Identification
31. EG001-03 FEB 03 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell
32. SS005R-01 JAN 03 Diagnostic Tester - Immobilizer Function
33. PG016-02 OCT 02 Body - Moonroof Initialization Procedure
34. BO005-02 SEP 02 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Availability/Applications

I hope they don't screw up on the new 2006 GS as I plan to purchase. I guess only time will tell.
Wogey, sorry to hear about your troubles with your GX.

But to be fair and not overly confuse people, 40% of your list are not "service problems". Some are bulletins to the service people on how to do something, or what a measurement should be. Also they do get dups in there overtime, instead of updating they put out a new one to supercede (i.e. sulphur smell).

Also, pull the TSB for any car and look at JUST the problem ones, you will see IN GENERAL, Lexus has less per model than many other manufacturers. This includes the GX.

Good Luck with your 2006 GS!
Old 01-20-05, 09:30 PM
et415
Rookie

Originally Posted by loflin
Also, pull the TSB for any car and look at JUST the problem ones...
How does one pull the TSB for a particular model?

FWIW, I bought my 2004 GX 470 (Build 4700G) last month, and I haven't noticed any strong vibrations or thunks. I did notice a very minor vibration when the car was under throttle. It was small enough that I only notice it when my hands are on the wood part of the steering wheel...the leather completely dampens the vibration. It's vibration that I wouldn't notice on the freeway (because there's so much other feedback), but I did notice when going slowly on city streets. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took my car in for 30 day service, but they found nothing out of the ordinary ("same as other GXes we compared it to"), though the vibration has lessened since then, so maybe they did something? It's a vibration that so minor I probably won't notice it unless I feel for it.

Before I bought my GX, I test drove another one at another dealer. I do remember saying to that dealer while sitting at a stoplight that it was too bad there was a minor steering wheel vibration when the car was standing still in drive. This vibration was definitely stronger than the one I mentioned above, which is only transmitted when there is throttle, not at rest. It was noticeable, but I didn't think it was annoying or distracting to the overall excellence of the vehicle.
Old 01-25-05, 10:57 AM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 GX470 with Clunk at 15k

So yeah guys, I had a pretty prestine 2004 GX470 when I got it. No clunking, no vibrations, nothing at all to complain about. Everything was smooth and great until I started noticing that the clunking started to happen after a few thousand miles. I started noticing the vibration when I parked my car while idling and got out to put in some groceries in the back: a slight vibration that only annoyed me. Clunking is getting worse everyday and I'm only guessing it's gonna get worse for you guys even before your lease ends. I'm gonna bring it into the dealer. I've always complained of the clunking but they always told me it was normal. BS.
Old 01-25-05, 03:13 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Burnt by Lexus Service Rep

Yes, once again I got burnt by the Lexus Service Rep. I arrived and told the rep what was up with the car. Once I said, "clunk", she already knew what I was talking about, looked at my VIN and searched for the history of the car on the computer. Right away she told me that "Lexus doesn't make repairs for such problems." I was dumbfouned, as if someone was telling me a lie. Then she started making stuff up about how cars with the "height control" features have this problem, but then I realized that LX470's with the air suspension and height control don't have the clunking problem. I've brought my car in about 4 times with the same clunking problem and it's getting worse. I'm looking into the California Lemon Law and seeing where I can go with this. I was hoping to keep the car for quite a while because I've been happy with past Lexi. *Sigh* This really sucks and they've given me the cold shoulder. WHAT TO DO!
Old 01-25-05, 03:18 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Default Well, yeah...

Well, yeah. I was a very true believer in Lexus quality, until their Service Reps started jerking me around with lies and BS. I have had wonderful experiences in the past with Lexus and I currently have a 1992 ES300 with 320,000 that still runs. But to have them lie to me to save a few bucks is dishonorable. Wait until u feel the clunking urself after 10,000 miles or so and you'll come to believe that people aren't just complaining for no reason.

Quick Reply: 2005 GX470's - Are you experiencing any vibration issues?