GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

poor AM radio sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 09:53 AM
SacKen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by yaro1

I think we have some non-audiophile posers!

Rock (ahem)..classical on
Nice... what is this, Junior High. I guess the appropriate response would be, "Your Mama!" Great addition to the conversation. Thanks for coming!

Anyway, I listed those CDs because they were good for showing off the range of the system... which is what this discussion has been about (the quality of it). Since you seem to be interested in me personally, I'll school ya a little. I listen to all types of music. In my changer I currently have the two CDs listed above along with Godsmack, The D.O.C "No One Can Do It Better" and two slots being used for a book on CD, Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress". My personal CD inventory includes 2000+ CDs. My brother and I love different music so much that we started a hobby that has become a small business that exposes us to all flavors of music. When I was younger, I designed and installed many car audio system for friends and family, including competition level setups for both max SPL and overall sound quality (stuck to sound comps, not looks... never did care for the fabrication part of it). The GX is the first vehicle I have owned where I haven't felt the need to change it in any way.

I think that more than satisfies the definition of audiophile. In case you have never seen one of them there fancy dictionary thingies, here ya go:
audiophile: auˇdioˇphile
Pronunciation: 'o-dE-O-"fIl
Function: noun
Date: 1951
: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

Peace and luv
Old 01-11-05, 11:53 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a very good system as factory systems go. It gets loud without distortion, has alot of Bass (although not high quality Bass) and reasonable imaging at the front soundstage. The problem with this ride's system is it lacks a ten inch Woofer. They would be better off to not try and get so much Bass from the 6 x 9's in the doors and install a really nice quality 10 inch Woof in the rear (since Bass is non directional) It could use a few more Watts too...

That said, I have had the Ultimate sound system in my Corvette and all it did was burn through Alternators, Batterys, and I was constantly fiddling with it to chase down engine noise. I swore I'd never do it again. There's probably no room for a 10 inch woof in the GX and I'd rather have less power and more reliability.

Side Note to the younger single guys: To get what you need you have to go aftermarket. There is no factory system in an SUV that truly rocks. Including the VW. The best system I have heard in a car was the ML in my Brother's LS450 Lexus. So ML CAN make an awesome system if they have the room to do it. Most folks simply judge a system by the Bass. The GX has very reasonable Mids and highs. Just turn the Bass down one notch, leave the mid in the middle and up the third slider one notch. BAM! That's about as good as it's gonna get.

Besides, once you guys get married and have kids, you won't get much of a chance to crank it anymore!