GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

You park the GX inside or outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-05, 11:26 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You park the GX inside or outside

So who here parks the GX in the garage and who here has no choice but to leave it outside

Here's my dilemma, Im going to be getting a new 05 soon, my 2 top picks are a loaded GX or a loaded V8 4Runner, here's the thing the GX does not fit in my garage the roof is just to high and the roof rails just add to that

I don't like the idea of leaving my car outside, Im the type of person who will get up at 1am go wax my car and go back to bed at 5 and get up at 9 I really can't do that if it's sitting outside, in the summer when I turn the spot lights on it really makes the bugs come out and during the cold months, well I just don't like the cold, after washing a car and having the water freeze to it you learn

So those of you who park the GX outside, how does it effect you emotionally leaving a 50k+ vehicle unattended and open to the elements also note that an 05 4Runner will have to force the 03 outside
Old 01-15-05, 10:08 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. I park it inside. If I were in your shoes I'd figure out a way to "raise the roof" in that garage of yours! Sawzall?
Old 01-15-05, 11:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Im looking into that, not an easy task since the support beam/ weight bearing beam is the 1 I would be cutting into
Old 01-16-05, 11:47 AM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Height control

Did you try the height control? When I pull into my garage, the truck must drop to its low point or the rails will hit the garage door opener arm. Dropping it gives tht 1/4 in clearence so I can park it inside.

The sales guy was real nervous when I said we had to test the fit before I would buy. He was afraid I would scrap the paint.
Old 01-16-05, 12:02 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My 4Runner just clears it, Im 6'2 and have measured everything and the GX will not fit height wise, standing next to the 4Runner I can see the roof, the GX I can't and the arm that hangs down off the rail will damage the truck, I know I hit my head several times, my father has managed to squeeze 2wd no roof rack suburbans into the garage but after doing that their was nomore paint left on the roof but they where work trucks not looking to do that to a GX.

Anyone here own 2 GX's, 1 of my neighbors has a black 1 in the garage and a white 1 in the driveway.
Old 01-16-05, 03:37 PM
Camden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EDGE2
So who here parks the GX in the garage and who here has no choice but to leave it outside
I park my mercedes in the garage (1 car), and the GX in the driveway. Doesn't matter to me and I've never tried the GX in the garage, but it'd be a tight fit, imo.
Old 01-16-05, 05:47 PM
Black Dog
Driver School Candidate

Talking

I keep my LX in the garage, the bottom of the door is 13'6"............
Old 01-16-05, 06:15 PM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

It's just a car. I leave it outside. Besides, my garage is tiny, and it's tough to back it out.

If we ever get snow, I'll pull it in the night before to save some time cleaning it off.
Old 01-16-05, 07:16 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

inside ofcourse
Old 01-16-05, 08:59 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whazzup
It's just a car. I leave it outside. Besides, my garage is tiny, and it's tough to back it out.

If we ever get snow, I'll pull it in the night before to save some time cleaning it off.
Yea, the other elements like (rain and bird droppings) don't reduce the quality of the paint.... oh, yea, they DO. Why don't people clean out their garages full of 10-cent garage sale itmes to put their $50K truck in I'll NEVER know...
Old 01-16-05, 09:15 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely INSIDE! If i ever had a height problem, I would tear off the roof of my garage and remodel it to make it fit!
Old 01-18-05, 07:13 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Inside when I can. But it sits out some nights too. As far as the paint in concerned - I've had more damage in parking lots from open doors than from birds, etc. I detail the truck every six months. First clay - then polish, then wax. No problems with my paint from leaving it outside. Just have to stay on top of it...
Old 01-18-05, 09:12 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my GX gets stuck outside. the GS gets the garage. i have had the opportunity to park the GX in the garage and it fit with no problems. i guess that's why i got a 2-way alarm/remote starter for my birthday. at least i get to park in a parking garage while i'm at work, so it does stay out of the elements for most of the day.
Old 01-18-05, 04:31 PM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 177mph
... I've had more damage in parking lots from open doors than from birds, etc. ...
Yessiree bob!! I live & work in a huge retirement community and no car can last 6 months without some parking lot dings. Had my first one within 2 months of owning it.

Do you all wash your vehicle after every snow (to get the salt off)?
Old 01-18-05, 04:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whazzup
It's just a car.
that hurts

Quick Reply: You park the GX inside or outside