GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Burnt by Lexus Service for Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 07:07 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberflip9
Hey Folks,
I bought a new 2004 GX470 back in April and it was perfect, until the clunking started at around several thousand miles. I just came home from the dealer and yes, once again I got burnt by the Lexus Service Rep. I arrived and told the rep what was up with the car. Once I said, "clunk", she already knew what I was talking about, looked at my VIN and searched for the history of the car on the computer. Right away she told me that "Lexus doesn't make repairs for such problems." I was dumbfouned, as if someone was telling me a lie. And if it were a problem, shouldn't Lexus fix it? Then she started making stuff up about how cars with the "height control" features have this problem, but then I realized that LX470's with the air suspension and height control don't have the clunking problem. I've brought my car in about 4 times with the same clunking problem and it's getting worse. I'm looking into the California Lemon Law and seeing where I can go with this. I was hoping to keep the car for quite a while because I've been happy with past Lexi. I have a 1992 ES300 with close to 320,000 miles and still running and a 1998 LS400 that was perfection. *Sigh* This really sucks and they've given me the cold shoulder. WHAT TO DO! I really need this to get fixed 'cause it's a drag to drive a car that make you feel disapointed about the drive quality. Anyone with suggestions on how to approach them again?

2004 (April 2004) GX470 18,800 miles, clunking, slight vibration at idle, and disappointed driver.
When looking for a GS4 replacement I drove 6-8 GX's all with clunks from 3 different dealers. And every dealer gave me the same line. ..its the heigh control there is nothing to do about this... it is ok don't let it bother you.

e

Old 01-31-05, 09:27 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "It ain't a problem"

In Nevada--and I would guess in most states--they can't ignore a problem this way. I'd send a certified letter to Lexus and enumerate your problems. Once you get them to respond on paper, things will probably change. Email works if you keep copies of your correspondence.

I have a question: does this happen on 4Runners with the 470? Perhaps we should check the Toyota forum.
Old 02-01-05, 11:59 AM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I don't think so. The third row seat and rear A/C were options when my truck was purchased in February of last year. The sticker says GVW is 6150 lbs.
Eventhough, the original label had 6100 lb, the car *was* actually 6000 lb! in 2003 -- there was an official recall about it. But rather than notify me about it and take the hit for their liability on the resulting tax consequences, the dealer quietly swiped it, while the headquaters denied that my car was ever improperly labeled and demanded proof, which I no longer had.... see above.

Starting with 2004 models ( i think) the car purposedly exceeded 6000 lb threashold, thus, qualifying.

Last edited by metropol; 02-01-05 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 12:42 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Car companies are huge, impersonal and powerful organizations that often
give unhappy customers a hard way to go. Want to buy a car? We love you.
Got an expensive problem that's not covered by our warranty? Sorry,
can't help you.
Old 02-02-05, 07:39 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobgore

I have a question: does this happen on 4Runners with the 470? Perhaps we should check the Toyota forum.
Bob, the 4runners do the same thing with both the 4.7 V8 engine and 5 speed transmission and with the 4.0 V6 transmission and 4 speed transmission. I think Toyota/Lexus provides this clunk at no additional charge on all GX470's and 4runners Mine went away from around 3K miles until 15K miles and now at 16K miles it did it a couple of times last week. But even though I ask for my driveline to be lubed every 3750 miles during the oil/filter change the tech's don't do the lube (at least they don't check it off ) figure if they did it they would check it off. I called the GM and he is going to correct this problem. Another problem is that you don't want them pumping to much grease in the joints or that can cause a problem. Wish the dealers could do a quality job on something as simple as a OCI and lube job.
Old 02-02-05, 11:27 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Thump

Gents,

A friend of mine has a Toyota Sequoia. He just took a one week off-road trip in the Mojave. Prior to leaving all Toyota owners were briefed about the thump. It is common on all Toyota/Lexus 4x4s with the centrifugal-engaged center differential that is part of the full-time 4x4 system. It is not a drive shaft problem... according to the school. It appears that while annoying, it is not a "problem".

Another person who attended the off-road school was the head of Toyota's driveline research. My friend will email him on the issue, and I'll relay any news.

The item also appears at a forum called Awesome Tundra in Groups.yahoo.com.

Bob
Old 02-04-05, 08:45 AM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobgore
Gents,

A friend of mine has a Toyota Sequoia. He just took a one week off-road trip in the Mojave. Prior to leaving all Toyota owners were briefed about the thump. It is common on all Toyota/Lexus 4x4s with the centrifugal-engaged center differential that is part of the full-time 4x4 system. It is not a drive shaft problem... according to the school. It appears that while annoying, it is not a "problem".

Another person who attended the off-road school was the head of Toyota's driveline research. My friend will email him on the issue, and I'll relay any news.

The item also appears at a forum called Awesome Tundra in Groups.yahoo.com.

Bob

GX and LX - have TORSEN differential -- none of the Audi Quattro's had this problem
Old 02-04-05, 09:44 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GX470 drivetrain vs. LX470 and other differences

The GX470 is unique in that it has the Torsen Ltd. slip center differential. The LX has an open center dif. The GX apportions power 40% front and 60% rear under normal driving conditions. This gives it a sportier rear wheel drive feel. I haven't had experience with the clunking described. He should write Lexus in Torrance if he feels it is defective. They could trade you into a new one possibly if you are not happy. Check the lemon law manual provided in your books for the form and state rules for your location.

The GX470 has air suspension in the rear only. The LX has a much heavier hydraulic height control system which raises and lowers the whole vehicle. On the subject of Gross Vehicle Weight which is on the driver's door plate. That is an estimate of the vehicle's weight when fully loaded with passengers etc. The curb weight is much less. Since the tax code required that for a business to take full depreciation the first year it had to have a Gross Vehicle Weight of over 6000 lbs. Since the original GX door plate said exactly 6000 lbs. the IRS made a ruling that it did not qualify for the tax break. Later versions increased the weight to 6,150. The tax loophole has been closed since October of 2004. There is a small tax benefit still available for those that purchased before Dec. 31st of "04. The much improved variable valve timing engine and Gen 4 Nav system arrived in late December and is better than the tax break IMHO. The Sport package with the KDSS World Rally Suspension is the bomb! Audi doesn't have that and they have powertrains that fail all the time. The Lexus warranty is 6 year 70,000 on the powertrain. Try to have an Audi repaired with say 100 miles passed 50,000. Forget about it.
Old 02-04-05, 11:42 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hey Bob nice to see a fellow Nevadan

I live in Las Vegas where are you at?