GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-05, 07:33 AM
mdgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change

Owner of a 2005 White GX with Nav, DVD. Hated to wait until 5k for oil change.

Using KN filter and Mobil1 changed today at 1,938 miles.

Getting to drain plug simple, with 4 bolts needing removed.

However, as to the filter would you recommend trying to get at it from the top and snaking it out, or alternately removing the second "skid/protection plate" which requires a number of bolts being removed?

Thanks in advance, and no I don't have clunks, rattles, car is perfect so far. In fact considering the purchase of a second one for wife, although MDX may win out due to $10,000 differential.
Old 02-13-05, 09:09 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

I've been told that it may not be a good idea to change oil too frequently due to the many detergents added. Of course, Jiffy Lube (which is AWFUL) would disagree! I guess whatever makes you happy!
Old 02-13-05, 01:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Lexus/Toyota do not use any special break in oil, you waited for nearly 2000 miles to change the oil, should have done it at 500 or 1000 but then again I don't keep the vehicles passed 60k so why change it, whats it gonna last to 450k instead of the 500k it suppost to

Keep an eye on your oil level, the M1 burns out for the 1st 10k, no more then half a quart but it will stop
Old 02-15-05, 06:32 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To get to the drain plug, you DONT have to remove any bolts. There is a plastic cover in the skid plate for access. As for the filter, it takes 5 min to remove the 4 bolts that hold the front skid plate. The filter drops right out of the bottom.
Old 02-15-05, 08:00 AM
mdgx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I ended up taking the back plate off, missed the "hatch".

As to the earlier comment I don't see how changing oil "too often" can hurt. It's an economic and an emotional decision, could not get to at 1,000 and did not want to wait until 5,000.

Now may do the free change 5,000 at 6, then every 5.

Anyone have experience what a dealer may charge at the 5,000 as an upcharge for using Mobile 1?
Old 02-15-05, 03:56 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mobil 1

Originally Posted by mdgx

Anyone have experience what a dealer may charge at the 5,000 as an upcharge for using Mobile 1?
For my free 5000, I furnished the 7 quarts of Mobil1 to the dealership. I've done the same while on the road in Indiana. I only have 20,000 miles on the truck. The last rwo oil changes have been ar EZ Lube where the carry Mobil1.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 02-15-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 05:41 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

60-100 bucks for an M1 change
Old 12-30-05, 06:32 PM
man8959
Driver

Default oil filter

i'm gonna change my oil this weekend and want to know how to get to the oil filter. do you remove the skid plate that bolt into the front bumper in order to remove the plate under of the filter? or can you just remove the skid plate right under the filter without remove the one that bolt into the front bumper? and also do you use toyota oil filter or mobil 1 oil filter . thanks
Old 12-30-05, 07:21 PM
TexGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy my M1 at CostCo and bring it in with me. My dealer offered the first 5 oil changes free. I changed to M1 on the first oil change.

TexGX
Old 01-03-06, 11:40 PM
kurtman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by man8959
i'm gonna change my oil this weekend and want to know how to get to the oil filter. do you remove the skid plate that bolt into the front bumper in order to remove the plate under of the filter? or can you just remove the skid plate right under the filter without remove the one that bolt into the front bumper? and also do you use toyota oil filter or mobil 1 oil filter . thanks

I remove the skid plate directly under the oil filter and remove the plate versus letting it hang on the built in hinge. I actually had to jack up the front a few inches to get the skid plate off. Much neater this way. There is a plate and a lit mounted below the filter which will channel the oil into your pan neatly...very nice touch!
Old 01-03-06, 11:49 PM
kurtman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rjfiore1
I've been told that it may not be a good idea to change oil too frequently due to the many detergents added. Of course, Jiffy Lube (which is AWFUL) would disagree! I guess whatever makes you happy!

Oil has many additives including detergents and in some cases lubricity, antiwear, and base/alkali additives. Everytime you change your oil, you replenish the additive package as well as refreshing the oil. More frequent changes will not harm your engine.

One problem with the synthetic oils is that it sometimes lulls the owner into feeling that the oil is still OK because it hasn't broken down and still feels slippery (whereas a conventional oil would have broken down and "thinned") so owners wait for long periods of time before giving in and changing their oil. However, the additive package in the synthetic may have been consumed; therefore, the oil will not protect as well as it should.

Having said that, I heard on Cartalk on NPR that Mini Coopers only change their engine oil every 10,000 miles.
Old 01-03-06, 11:51 PM
kurtman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by man8959

I use a Fram PH3614 oil filter, which is the same as the one that the 4Runner uses. Walmart carries this.
Old 06-24-06, 05:40 AM
vgg659
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Plate removal for filter change

I've been doing my own oil changes for 30 years, and I can't figure this out.

>> remove the plate versus letting it hang on the built in hinge.

On my 2006 GX, the metal plate in question is attached (via 2 screws and a plastic rivet) to a plastic plate connected to the bumper. How do you remove the metal plate given that it's attached to the plastic plate (I can't figure out how to remove the plastic rivet).

>> I actually had to jack up the front a few inches to get the skid plate off. Much neater this way.

Also, how do you jack up this vehicle for the oil change??? I can't seem to find a convenient jack point with all of these $%#@ plates hanging around.
Old 06-24-06, 11:03 AM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default Mobil 1 can last much longer than 5k

[QUOTE=kurtman]

Mobil 1 is used in Porsche and Mercedes AMG FACTORY FILLED/ Land Rover recently completed round the world trip using Mobil 1...... oil does not need to be changed for 10-15k+...-the base oil used in it is SYNTHETIC and not mineral like most other oils....so it is combination of SYNTHETIC OIL + ADDITIVES that gives you the protection.

On my BMW, manual recommends 15K changes but I change 7.5K or every 6 months - -for GX470, will do it at 5K only to keep the warranty intact although it can easily go much longer -
Old 06-24-06, 10:16 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

don't the germans with the longer change intervals also have larger oil capacities with bigger filters

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change