GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX vs RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 02:22 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by honestjack
RX is a very nice car, but is a true soccer mom car. All I see are nice suburban mom's tooling about with kids in the back. The GX is more masculine and obiously more exclusive since it is still low volume. I bet I get some push back on these comments.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the GX is just as big a "soccer mom" car as the RX; in fact, most SUVs are getting that way - I see soccer moms driving huge Cadillac Escalade ESVs and Yukon Denalis and suburbans. I probably see more women than men driving X5's out here too. There are 4 GXs in my neighborhood and guess what, all women! And nothing wrong with that, I might add!

If you are insecure about your masculinity, maybe what you should do is buy a Porsche!
Old 02-20-05, 04:53 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by honestjack
it is still low volume.

i dunno about low volume. Here in Fresno, CA there's a GX in every office or subdivision!!!!! The typical wives around here have upgraded to a GX!
Old 02-20-05, 07:43 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

My wife has a 2002 RX 300 Coach Edition. She loves it and it is a great carlike suv. However, it's a little tight for me (I'm 6'1"). I test drove a GX and fell in love with it. It's roomier and more comfortable for me.

Both vehicles are great values. You just have to compare for yourself and decide. I just hope that my wife doesn't try to steal the GX away!

good luck!
Old 02-20-05, 08:27 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuslover
Hate to burst your bubble, but the GX is just as big a "soccer mom" car as the RX; in fact, most SUVs are getting that way - I see soccer moms driving huge Cadillac Escalade ESVs and Yukon Denalis and suburbans. I probably see more women than men driving X5's out here too. There are 4 GXs in my neighborhood and guess what, all women! And nothing wrong with that, I might add!

If you are insecure about your masculinity, maybe what you should do is buy a Porsche!
More women drive cars or SUV because the men paying for them are at work earning the money for them thats a true fact not to be sexist or anything and to add to that most of all the options on them are for women plus many of those features guys like to
Old 02-21-05, 07:34 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the owner of both RX300 and GX, I think the GX is much better than the RX300.
I also took the RX330 as loaners many times and I like the RX300 better than RX330.
The RX330 surely has more power than the RX300 but it's noisier and I feel less roomy than the RX300.

Actually, I am thinking about getting the new GS300AWD. I have been driving the soccer mom cars too long, need some excitement. But, again, my wife is thinking about RX400h.
Old 02-21-05, 01:48 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
More women drive cars or SUV because the men paying for them are at work earning the money for them thats a true fact not to be sexist or anything and to add to that most of all the options on them are for women plus many of those features guys like to
Oooohhh... dangerous territory.
Old 02-21-05, 04:47 PM
honestjack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover

I knew my soccer mom comment would draw some fire. But the comment about my masculinity was really a low blow. You may be right that all the big SUVs are driven by women. I guess they need the size to project their need to be masculine…you know compensate for their size. Thanks for putting some spice in this otherwise pointless forum.
Old 03-01-05, 11:16 PM
et415
Rookie

Every woman who has ridden in my car has complained about the high step-in of the GX. They said (after huffing and puffing to get in) that with pants it was OK, but no way with a skirt or dress...so I do think that the GX would be less attractive to women. In fact, I recently helped a friend buy an Acura MDX...she thought the GX was too masculine looking and that the RX didn't have the required 3rd row seat.
Old 03-02-05, 08:39 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

My wife complains bitterly when she has to part with her GX. Be it for servicing or what not. She absolutely refuses to drive anything else, and says the RX loaners are rough and cramped. I don't agree with her on the RX, which I find to be very smooth.

I do feel obligated to "borrow" the GX and utilize all of its off-road hardware with purpose, as its hard to justify all of this kit if you never go off-road.

BTW, I installed Revo's on the GX and now have about about 2K miles on them. Dry and wet traction on the road is vastly better than the Michelin's, which I did not expect. Hydroplanning resistance is phenomenol, without a doubt the best I have experienced. Noise is on par with the Michelins till about 80 mph, at which time they start sounding like the true 4X4 tires that they are. Ride is definitely stiffer than the Michelins-feels more like a truck. Steering also gained heft at the wheel, as the Revos are undoubtedly heavier. I hope to get a chance to take them off-road in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-02-05, 09:50 AM
lexusdr
Rookie

I bought the Revo's last week and JUST TODAY exchanged them, under Bridgestone's 30 day test drive, for the new Alenza's. Much better in terms of noise, IMHO.

Trinh
Old 03-03-05, 07:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I traded in my 04 RX330 with 16K miles (1 year) for a 05 GX470.

WHY?

1. I wanted more power and the smoothness of the V8. With the new upgraded V8 with 270HP for 2005, it was too tempting not pull the trigger on it. The RX330 was fine, but the enginer was a whiner.
2. I wanted more space
3. I bought this vehicle for my wife (alterior motive for me, since we drive together often on the weekend for family outings).
4. I wanted a more many and rugged vehicle.
5. I wanted the V8 - did I say that already?

The GX is so smooth and a step up from the RX330. It's flashier too if you are into that.
Old 03-03-05, 10:29 PM
et415
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I traded in my 04 RX330 with 16K miles (1 year) for a 05 GX470.
You own BMW cars...why didn't you buy the X5 or X3?

I always thought the RX was flashier than the conservative looking GX. Why do you say that?
Old 03-03-05, 10:35 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by et415
You own BMW cars...why didn't you buy the X5 or X3?

I always thought the RX was flashier than the conservative looking GX. Why do you say that?
The RX and now GX are my wife's vehicles. She does not like the look of the BMW X versions and liked the GX the best.

The RX is flashy, but the GX is still more flashier overall. Maybe it's due to the next level up, the size or just the V8, but it's your true big pimpin midsize SUV.
Old 03-03-05, 10:54 PM
et415
Rookie

To answer the original poster:

I was looking for an SUV with GVWR of 6000+ pounds (for tax purposes), so that limited me to the GX, LX, 4Runner V8, and Pathfinder among Japanese SUVs (European ones were too unreliable, and forget American ones). If it weren't for the tax issue, I might have seriously considered the RX (too light) since it gets better gas mileage, is a more modern design, and rides/handles more like a car. I didn't need 3rd row seats or serious off-road capability.

I ruled out the Pathfinder (bad depreciation) and LX (too expensive). I originally was going to buy the 4Runner SR5 (beyond weight, I also wanted good hauling capacity), which I think is a tremendous bargain (it has the GX's V8 at under $30K). But back in December, no dealer had 2005 SR5 V8s yet (because of the new engine), and on Dec. 31, the 9/11 tax breaks were expiring, so I didn't want to wait. There were some Limiteds, but I discovered that for just a few thousand more than a 2005 4Runner V8 Limited, I could get a beautiful new 2004 GX. Used GXes (comparably equipped) were going for more than that, so I bought it.

I had originally thought the GX was an overpriced 4Runner, but now I think it (at least mine) is a huge bargain (esp. with the tax breaks), compared to the 4Runner Limited.

Last edited by et415; 03-25-05 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-04-05, 10:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by et415
To answer the original poster:

I was looking for an SUV with GVWR of 6000+ pounds (for tax purposes), so that limited me to the GX, LX, 4Runner V8, and Pathfinder among Japanese SUVs (European ones were too unreliable, and forget American ones). If it weren't for the tax issue, I might have seriously considered the RX (too light) since it gets better gas mileage, is a more modern design, and rides/handles more like a car. I didn't need 3rd row seats or serious off-road capability.

I ruled out the Pathfinder (bad depreciation) and LX (too expensive). I originally was going to buy the 4Runner SR5 (beyond weight, I also wanted good hauling capacity), which I think is a tremendous bargain (it has the GX's V8 at under $30K). But back in December, no dealer had 2005 SR5 V8s yet (because of the new engine), and on Dec. 31, the 9/11 tax breaks were expiring, so I didn't want to wait. There were some Limiteds, but I discovered that for just a few thousand more than a 2005 4Runner V8 Limited, I could get a beautiful new 2004 GX (only $40,000). Used GXes (comparably equipped) were going for more than that, so I bought it.

I had originally thought the GX was an overpriced 4Runner, but now I think it (at least mine) is a huge bargain (esp. with the tax breaks), compared to the 4Runner Limited.
FYI - I would have to agree with your assesment on the 4Runner. The 2005 4Runner Sport with V8 is in the mid 30's MSRP and being discounted, so that is a great deal for the sporty version using the same beautiful V8 used in the GX470. Heck even if you wanted a fully loaded 4Runner V8 Limited, the cost savings vs a GX is still very significant. I remember being quoted $37,500 on a fully loaded 2005 Toyota 4runner (with Nav). By the way it's tough to find a 4Runner Limited V8 with Nav. Not as many out there as you may think.

Quick Reply: GX vs RX?