GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Other then size why buy a LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 06:36 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lexusdr...

Nobody disputes that Lexus hasn't made significant changes to the LX in the past 6 years. That said, I will assume based on you putting down the LX as "antiquated" that you must be a GX owner. While I acquiesce to you on your point about the LX being due for an update, it doesn't change the fact that it still looks better than the GX (in my opinion), even with it's "antiquated" design. By the way, if you've been in an LX over the past 6 years, you will notice that the cabin has received significant upgrades. The only exterior change has been the front grille (now chrome). In any event, when the new LX arrives, I'm sure it will continue to be a superior vehicle.
I'm happy to hear you're thrilled with your GX, and I'm sure it's a wonderful SUV.

John from Boston
Old 03-18-05, 06:48 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enigma869
......... Let us not forget that the Toyota Solara convertible and SC430 are identical looking vehicles (minus the hard top). If everyone believes they are truly the same car, why spend a whopping extra $30K for the SC?..........
John from Boston
You must be kidding, right?

You reminded me someone in Edmunds used to think Lexus IS is a souped up Toyota Corola.
Old 03-18-05, 12:57 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Hey super cjc...

If I knew how to insert pictures, I would insert two pictures. One of the SC430 and one of the 2005 Solara convertible. They're both shots of the back of the car, both red, and both identical! Perhaps the older editions of the Solara didn't resemble the SC as much, but the newer models look VERY similar, with the exception of the Solara having much more attractive rims than the SC.

John from Boston
Old 03-18-05, 04:00 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey super cjc...

If I knew how to insert pictures, I would insert two pictures. One of the SC430 and one of the 2005 Solara convertible. They're both shots of the back of the car, both red, and both identical! Perhaps the older editions of the Solara didn't resemble the SC as much, but the newer models look VERY similar, with the exception of the Solara having much more attractive rims than the SC.

John from Boston
As a side note, the Solara is based on the Camry platform. SC is based on the Lexus GS (previous) platform. GS platform is not the same as Camry platform.

LX is quite impressive off-road with very good on-road ride...i would take LX over Range Rover anyday. GX is very good for it's price and content...i would take it over Touareg and Hummer H2 anyday.
Old 03-24-05, 11:21 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john5519
My friend just bought an 05 LX, I have the 05 GX. First thing I noticed when I got inside (drivers seat) that there is a noticeable difference in shoulder and leg room. I have longer legs than most and my foot was further away from the gas pedal, which is a good thing for me. The passenger is also sitting a bit further away from you. I know on paper the specs aren't much difference between the two trucks but it's very noticeable to me...

I am going to go as far as to say the LX is also a bit quieter and the ride is different also. I can't pinpoint the ride, but it doesn't seem to shimmy us from left to right like the GX does over bumps. I've been in a 05 Range Rover and I liken it to that ride.

The center console is great in the LX, as is the power retracting mirrors, power opening rear side windows and heck , why didn't the GX get a spare change holder?

Oh also keep in mind that we live in L.A. , status symbol capital of the world, and the LX is one step up from a GX and one down from a Range Rover which is what a lot of celebs drive...

Now are all those differences worth the extra money? hmmm
I just read in Consumer Reports that they rated Range Rover company the very worst as far as reliability. It might be based on JD Power.
Old 03-24-05, 12:56 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

Hey Lexusdr...

Nobody disputes that Lexus hasn't made significant changes to the LX in the past 6 years. That said, I will assume based on you putting down the LX as "antiquated" that you must be a GX owner. While I acquiesce to you on your point about the LX being due for an update, it doesn't change the fact that it still looks better than the GX (in my opinion), even with it's "antiquated" design. By the way, if you've been in an LX over the past 6 years, you will notice that the cabin has received significant upgrades. The only exterior change has been the front grille (now chrome). In any event, when the new LX arrives, I'm sure it will continue to be a superior vehicle.
I'm happy to hear you're thrilled with your GX, and I'm sure it's a wonderful SUV.

John from Boston
John...you are a troll...why else do you keep posting over and over the superiority of your vehicle (see quote above). Leave us lowly GX owners alone and go to your prestigious LX board. Sad thing is I could probably by you 10 times over.
Old 03-24-05, 01:13 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdr
John...you are a troll...why else do you keep posting over and over the superiority of your vehicle (see quote above). Leave us lowly GX owners alone and go to your prestigious LX board. Sad thing is I could probably by you 10 times over.
Come on guys, please! Are pompous statements like this really necessary? I'm 30 and own a GX, and I didn't buy an LX because it was way over our budget and I like the look of the GX better anyway. Plus, I do care about the extra few mpg and power on the GX.

I don't think I would buy an LX even if I could afford it, but I have to agree with John that the LX looks more refined/luxurious. It's just not my type (I used to drive my father-in-law's LX all the time)...
Old 03-24-05, 01:53 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusdr
I totally disagree. John is not at all a troll. He brings up excellant points. I personally enjoy his insights.
Old 03-24-05, 05:32 PM
Enigma869
Driver

WOW...a troll??? Okay Mr. Lexus Dr. I won't even dignify your comment by resorting to name calling. I opened up the discussion as dialogue, not to put anyone or any GX owner down. As I've said all along, I really have no problem with the GX, at all (aside from the barn door). I simply wanted to gain some insight into why so many others thought the GX was a superior vehicle. I'm sorry if that offended anyone. My only real point of even perusing the GX forums was because I am considering one for my wife.

In terms of your comment about being able to "by" me (I think buy might be the word you were looking for)...I'm not sure what that really has to do with anything. I really wasn't here to compare bank accounts or net worth. For what it's worth, I'm a CEO of a financial company and there are probably no telethons being held for me any time soon. Have a splendid night Dr. Lexus.

John from Boston
Old 03-24-05, 06:41 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

oh dear...an internet amateur. when i said you were a troll, i did not mean a short dwarf like creature. on the internet, a troll is someone who posts on forums to raise people's hackles. there are always some. on the bmw boards i belong to, always the seven series picking on the 5 series, the m vs. the non-m series, etc. there your free lesson for the day.
Old 03-24-05, 08:49 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most of the GX owners probably can also afford the LX. Personally, if my budget can only afford the GX, I will purchase 4Runner and keep some money in the bank. If a person loves LX that much but can only afford the GX, I think she/he would consider the LC instead of the GX. So, I really don’t think prices play a major role here.

The LX has bigger size than the GX but the GX has more headroom than the LX. To me (I am 6’4), that’s very important.

The LX has one or two more features than the GX but the GX has better acceleration and equipped with TORSEN 4WD system. 0-60 9.7 seconds, is it easy to merge onto highway?

So, why people chose LX over GX? Need the extra shoulder room?
Old 04-05-05, 01:20 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are gas prices driving you all nuts? For the 1st time since we bought our GS430 it cost us $35 to fill up. My older SC400 isn't quite so bad, I cannot understand why, but I'm not arguing.
Old 04-08-05, 12:14 PM
lexusnc
Driver

Well I just ordered a 2005 LX470, I am trading in my GX470. My wife and I are expecting our 3 child so that is what made our minds up. I love the GX, but there is no question that the LX has more room and for me that is what I need. The LX should be here in 2 weeks so I'll be signing off this forum and onto the LX forum.
Old 04-08-05, 09:59 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

if i had the money to get a LX over a GX, i would get the LX because the dash layout in my opinion is nicer, and i think it has more of an luxury look from the front, but how much gas is now and the way i drive, neither one is quite much interest, but both of them are still awesome SUVs.
Old 04-08-05, 11:47 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, we are on the same team Pitbull started the thread, enigma is providing his answer.

Yes, the LX has been out since 1998 but it still sells very well for an older SUV. Its built off the original Land Cruiser, which is world-reknown for being one of the toughest vehicles on the planet (the landcrusier is the only vehicle to venture to the North AND South poles). So prestige has something to do with it. It's a limited production SUV, compared to the GX, its rarer, so that adds to the reason people buy. The LX with the Range Rover are probably the premium SUVS.

Now the GX, was built b/c the gap between the RX and LX was near 30k. Lexus also saw that the luxury SUV market was growing leaps and bounds. So the GX is much newer, with newer technology. It also is pretty close in size to the LX, since the next LX will jump in size. The GX is very close to the LX when it is loaded and shows it is a great value to the LX.

I like both, but I love the LX dash and those quad lamps are so orginal (the GX lights are designed after the LS 430 and the LX lights after the GS).

Both SUVs have won mulitple awards and are considered cream of the crop.

Quick Reply: Other then size why buy a LX470?