GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD player sound WAY lower than FM...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 12:30 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD player sound WAY lower than FM...

We've noticed that the sound levels for the DVD audio are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the settings for the FM channels. This means that anytime we change the speakers to play the DVD at a reasonable level, you have to remember to turn the volume WAY down before switching over to the FM channels or else risk blowing out the speakers. Seems like there should be some type of adjustment available on the DVD player itself yet so far I have not found anything. We figured we would simply have it addressed at the 5K free service (probably another month or two away) but it's starting to bother me enough that I think I may need to do something about it before then. Have any of you had this problem?
Old 02-28-05, 01:20 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
We've noticed that the sound levels for the DVD audio are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the settings for the FM channels. This means that anytime we change the speakers to play the DVD at a reasonable level, you have to remember to turn the volume WAY down before switching over to the FM channels or else risk blowing out the speakers. Seems like there should be some type of adjustment available on the DVD player itself yet so far I have not found anything. We figured we would simply have it addressed at the 5K free service (probably another month or two away) but it's starting to bother me enough that I think I may need to do something about it before then. Have any of you had this problem?
Yes. I've had this problem in 2 of the three GX40's I've had. (the other one didn't have factory installed RSES). There's no way around it I've found.
Old 02-28-05, 01:28 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by looknow12
Yes. I've had this problem in 2 of the three GX40's I've had. (the other one didn't have factory installed RSES). There's no way around it I've found.
I was afriad someonewas going to say that. There probably is an easy "non-supported" way around it (in line amplification, etc) but for this price, I expect them to fix it. There is no excuse for this. I'll let everyone here know if I have any sucess during the 5K checkup. If anyone can contribute further, please feel free to do so. It may still be a month before I scheudl the visit
Old 02-28-05, 01:33 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bunka
I was afriad someonewas going to say that. There probably is an easy "non-supported" way around it (in line amplification, etc) but for this price, I expect them to fix it. There is no excuse for this. I'll let everyone here know if I have any sucess during the 5K checkup. If anyone can contribute further, please feel free to do so. It may still be a month before I scheudl the visit
BTW, the two GX's I had/have that were having this problem were 03 & 04 models. I don't expect them to be fixing it if they haven't already.

But they have fixed things like remembering the volume ON/OFF position for the NAV from 03-> 04 so they do make progress. Best to report it to your dealer. I never did.
Old 02-28-05, 06:41 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Bunka,

You read my mind.....I was going to post this same problem. We forget to do it every time when the movie's over and switch back to FM. I really thought it was just a problem with our '04.
Old 03-01-05, 10:16 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

It is an annoying problem indeed.

I've had GX since '03 and have complained twice to dealer about it. Once I didn't get any answer -- the service person just wrote the request; other time was told "as designed".
Old 03-02-05, 11:27 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure that this is because CD's and DVD's have much more dynamic range, and FM compresses the music dynamic range.

Since the stereo matches the rms power or peak power of the various inputs, the FM (with higher average power) comes out louder. CD's and especially DVD's might have quieter and calmer passages, and thus sound less loud than FM.

What this means is that if you went to a CD or DVD with loud passages, they would be just as loud as the loud passages on FM.
Old 03-02-05, 11:35 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

No, actually this thread should be titled, DVD MUCH Louder than EVERYTHING else.

The CD and FM will come across with ear splitting levels after using the DVD at a comfortable audio level.
Old 03-02-05, 12:06 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by looknow12
No, actually this thread should be titled, DVD MUCH Louder than EVERYTHING else.

The CD and FM will come across with ear splitting levels after using the DVD at a comfortable audio level.
At least for me it does.
Old 03-04-05, 11:42 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quant
I'm sure that this is because CD's and DVD's have much more dynamic range, and FM compresses the music dynamic range.

Since the stereo matches the rms power or peak power of the various inputs, the FM (with higher average power) comes out louder. CD's and especially DVD's might have quieter and calmer passages, and thus sound less loud than FM.

What this means is that if you went to a CD or DVD with loud passages, they would be just as loud as the loud passages on FM.
Quant - Unfortunately, that's not the issue. Rather, it appears to be more of a "line level" inmput setting than the dynamic issues with alternate sources. I haven't tried Looknow's example but I suspect he is accurate in that it's not JUST the FM but other sources as well. It's almost as if the DVD player itself has some capacity to be set lower than it should and nobody has taken the time to adjust it to the proper level. I guess I could get in there with my gear and take some readings but IMHO, that type of support is what we have all paid Lexus the "big bucks" to track down for us. I'm at 4,400 miles now so I'll have it checked around the end of the month when I should be around 5,000
Old 03-07-05, 08:19 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also noticed this problem. From what I can deduce, the DVD player wich is seperate out of the ML audio system, has a lower line leve output than what the ML wants as the line input. The DVD audio output level is much lower. When you compensate and turn the ML amps up for the DVD audio up, this leads to the louder return to FM or CD. I have asked the dealership about this, and they tell me that it is all factory set and they cannot do anything about it. I think someone %#^%'ed up on the design and they don't want to investigate correcting it. There has got to be some type of compensation trims on the DVD output. But, imagine Lexus has the viewpoint of replacing all the factory DVD units, and are not THAT interested.
Old 03-07-05, 08:25 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I have also noticed this problem. From what I can deduce, the DVD player wich is seperate out of the ML audio system, has a lower line leve output than what the ML wants as the line input. The DVD audio output level is much lower. When you compensate and turn the ML amps up for the DVD audio up, this leads to the louder return to FM or CD. I have asked the dealership about this, and they tell me that it is all factory set and they cannot do anything about it. I think someone %#^%'ed up on the design and they don't want to investigate correcting it. There has got to be some type of compensation trims on the DVD output. But, imagine Lexus has the viewpoint of replacing all the factory DVD units, and are not THAT interested.
Possibly contacting the MFR of the DVD player (Denon?) might lead to something. Also, pulling the unit out if possible might lead to an option. I don't think it is worth it though.

I've just trained myself to lower the levels before switching the modes.
Old 03-22-05, 02:16 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Service update

I recieved the same response from my local dealership as others here have experienced. There is no procedure to correct this issue. Looks like I might have to interject my own solution. Seems like it's only an impedence issue and while I do have the technical ability (engineer by trade), I don't really have the time. Seems like I will have to be carefull when switching back and forth until I can do something about this. We do listen to DVD's a fairly high levels though (action) and I can just see someone pushing the "FM" button after the DVD is over and blowing the whole set of speakers. Seems like the first set of blown speakers would be enough to make Lexus pay more attention to this relatively minor issue. At least it is listed on the service records as something I wanted to have them address. If a speaker ever does get damanged, I have supporting details.
Old 03-24-05, 08:26 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Almost blew them again the other day. My son's Harry Potter DVD was over. I hit the CD button and was almost overcome by my wife's "Best of the Carpenters" CD. Actually, that CD will drive someone to suicide no matter what the volume.

Honey, hope you're not reading this at work. Did I ever tell you how much I love the Carpenters??
Old 03-24-05, 09:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steevr
Almost blew them again the other day. My son's Harry Potter DVD was over. I hit the CD button and was almost overcome by my wife's "Best of the Carpenters" CD. Actually, that CD will drive someone to suicide no matter what the volume.

Honey, hope you're not reading this at work. Did I ever tell you how much I love the Carpenters??
Steevr - If she listens to the Carpenters (after all this time), you've got bigger problems than blown speakers. In fact, If I were you I would recreate that scenario once more with "just a little bit more volume" so that the Carpenter's would be permanitely silenced (if even for a short period). Just joking... How old ARE you guys and does the walker fit in the trunk well?

Quick Reply: DVD player sound WAY lower than FM...