GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Kinetic Suspension - Is it all that?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 07:19 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetic Suspension - Can you feel the difference?

Question: Can you really tell the difference between a GX with KDSS vs. one without? I have heard that KDSS is mainly for off-roading but Lexus also claim that KDSS also adds more stabilization on-road.

Any owners out there with KDSS care to comment?

Last edited by DSW; 02-28-05 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 10:16 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about offroading since I don't do much but on-road, it's definitely better. You feel more stable around the turns. It's surprising for such a tall vehicle. I don't think the difference is night and day but it's noticeable.
Old 03-01-05, 11:08 AM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidc1
I don't know about offroading since I don't do much but on-road, it's definitely better. You feel more stable around the turns. It's surprising for such a tall vehicle. I don't think the difference is night and day but it's noticeable.
Hi David, have you owned one that did not have the Kinetic?
Old 03-01-05, 11:52 AM
davidc1
Rookie

No I never owned one without KDSS. But two of my friends do. It was actually their suggestion that I look at the GX in the first place. Again, I don't think it's that big a deal for most around town driving. I also thought that it was supposed to help with the "head toss" or side to side motion on rough pavement. I think there's a demo on Lexus website. The demo convinced me that I should get it if the price was fair, and I thought it was. I wouldn't have bothered if it cost more than $2k.
Old 03-01-05, 02:47 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidc1
No I never owned one without KDSS. But two of my friends do. It was actually their suggestion that I look at the GX in the first place. Again, I don't think it's that big a deal for most around town driving. I also thought that it was supposed to help with the "head toss" or side to side motion on rough pavement. I think there's a demo on Lexus website. The demo convinced me that I should get it if the price was fair, and I thought it was. I wouldn't have bothered if it cost more than $2k.

Thanks for the info David. Did you get the Kinetic with the Sport Package or a-la-carte?
Old 03-02-05, 08:29 AM
davidc1
Rookie

I got it with the Sport Pack. I didn't think I could order KDSS separately. I know you are supposed to be able to but they don't seem to ship them that way. I was worried that SP might not look so good but I was pleasantly surprised. I like the black maple, graphite trim and chrome tipped exhaust. For just $50 more (than KDSS by itself), it was worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-02-05, 02:32 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DSW
Question: Can you really tell the difference between a GX with KDSS vs. one without? I have heard that KDSS is mainly for off-roading but Lexus also claim that KDSS also adds more stabilization on-road.

Any owners out there with KDSS care to comment?
I did a review a while back. I've owned both.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ooknows+review
Old 03-03-05, 07:28 PM
luckylex
Rookie

I have an '05 GX with the KDSS (sport package). I never really drove a GX without it, so I cannot comment between the two. I owned an suv the previous 5+ years about 17K miles a year, and driven quite a few (I always get an suv when I rent), although not too many LUVs.

This suspension system blows away any other suv I have driven. I never thought I would notice something like that, but I found it pretty amazing. Doesn't drive like a truck. Takes corners smoothly at speeds I never would have tried in my last vehicle. I guess you could say I give it high marks!
Old 03-04-05, 07:03 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Normally Anti-Sway systems make the suspension very stiff and vehicle rough riding. But the KDSS system works in such a way where it encourages wheel travel variances on the same side of the vehicle. As I said in my post, the KDSS also braces things together and greatly improves braking stability.
Old 03-04-05, 08:33 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up There is a HUGE difference...

I am new to this forum, I hope this opinion helps ....

When I was initially looking at the GX, I was rather under-whelmed by its' suspenion. It felt like a typical truck suspension, stiff and leaned in corners a bit (typical response from top heavy vehicles). I had been driving Range Rovers for years and thought I would try something more reliable. The test drive truck did not have KDSS. But, I read at that time, the '04 C builds would have the KDSS as an option. I knew the Land Rover LR3's, would also offer that same suspension "type". I opted for the KDSS, and after taking delivery was completey stunned at how flat the cornering was with this option. It is very much like a sports coupe in the amount of minimal roll you have in cornering. I drive a mountain pass every day for my commute. And to this day, I still have a smile on my face at what the truck feels like on winding roads. I have also used my truck in an offroad configuration and it does what it says, greater wheel travel even though it has a sway bar that is almost 2" in diameter. From what I understand, the tension is mantained by a hydraulic plunger when cornering, and relaxes in the typical slow off road rock crawling. For the '04 it was a very rare option, and I am glad to see that Lexus is adopting on a bigger percentage of the trucks now offered.
If you are at all, "on the fence", about getting this option, DON"T BE. It is an awesome option that you will totally appreciate, especially later when you wonder why others did not get it.

Last edited by ADVocate; 03-04-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-08-05, 09:52 AM
westwood
Driver School Candidate

Default KDSS is a very worthwhile option for GX470

I concur with AdVocate.
I took a test drive of a GX470 w/o KDSS, and a GX with KDSS before my purchase.
The difference is noticeable.

With KDSS, GX performs noticeably better on road and off road in cornering and dipping/uneven
surfaces.
Evaluating from the KDSS design mechanism, it works well too.

I think KDSS should be standard on all GX470, rather than an option.
The extra cost for KDSS is quite reasonable and worthy in my opion.
I highly recommend KDSS to potential GX buyers.

Westwood
Old 03-08-05, 11:35 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by westwood
I think KDSS should be standard on all GX470, rather than an option.
The extra cost for KDSS is quite reasonable and worthy in my opion.
I highly recommend KDSS to potential GX buyers.

Westwood
I was pressing Lexus Customer Service about this as well because I felt KDSS allowed for much safer braking and stability in bad conditions.
Old 03-09-05, 03:56 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I'm still waiting for my "05 GX to be delivered. I did not order one with KDSS. I test drove one w/o the KDSS and it drove nice. I asked the salesman about it and he said that I really didn't need it. There was a GX with the Sports Package in the showroom but I didn't like the look. The inside was too dark, no contrast with the dashboard (just my own opinion).

After reading these posts, which are very informative thanks, I am rethinking the KDSS option. I drive on the highway over 50 miles/day and I was concerned about the sway and road trackability issues due to windy conditions experienced by other GX owners w/o the KDSS.

Should this concern alone be enough to order my GX with the KDSS or am I over-analyzing this?

Tx!
LexusBob
2005 Blizzard Pearl/Ivory
NAV/ML
Old 03-09-05, 05:45 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Why does KDSS work on-road??

Well, KDSS starts out with THICKER anti-roll bars front and rear than regular GX...thus, allowing you to corner flat. More stability to crosswinds. However, it does make the ride a bit firmer (maybe bouncier?) over uneven small bumps, especially at high speed.

In off-road, KDSS hydrualically disconnects the anti-roll bars, thus allowing for more up-and-down motion of the wheels (front and rear), leading to more tires planted on the ground. This will help decrease ATRAC activation...more power to the ground and may save brake pad life.

If you have the $$, then get KDSS. It's a great technology that will be seen in more and more SUVs like Dodge Powerwagon and DHS system on Jeep GC. They are all similar systems in concept to KDSS.
Old 03-09-05, 07:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusBob
I'm still waiting for my "05 GX to be delivered. I did not order one with KDSS. I test drove one w/o the KDSS and it drove nice. I asked the salesman about it and he said that I really didn't need it. There was a GX with the Sports Package in the showroom but I didn't like the look. The inside was too dark, no contrast with the dashboard (just my own opinion).

After reading these posts, which are very informative thanks, I am rethinking the KDSS option. I drive on the highway over 50 miles/day and I was concerned about the sway and road trackability issues due to windy conditions experienced by other GX owners w/o the KDSS.

Should this concern alone be enough to order my GX with the KDSS or am I over-analyzing this?

Tx!
LexusBob
2005 Blizzard Pearl/Ivory
NAV/ML
I certainly believe it was worth the wait to get KDSS. The truck really handles well even without going to the two "Sport" settings. I was at the dealership yesterday and looked at a GX with the Sports Package. The interior trim was definitely not something I would want, although the wheels look better than the stock alloys. As with yourself, that's strictly personal preference.

Quick Reply: Kinetic Suspension - Is it all that?