GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just so I don't tick off all my GX owner friends...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 05:26 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just so I don't tick off all my GX owner friends...

Here is a review I posted on these boards after I first bought my LX. You will note that I clearly didn't say the LX is the perfect vehicle. In fact, take my shots at Lexus for some VERY annoying design flaws on an otherwise fantastic SUV. Also, for the record, when I was in the market for a new SUV, I test drove the GX before ever deciding on the LX.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4+LX470+review

John from Boston
Old 03-18-05, 06:45 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default not even close!

I am biased......but as far as "cool looks" ......to me there is no comparison between the LX and GX.

LX=Dated
GX=HipTodayCool

I know I wouldn't trade my GX for an LX.....buy hey thats just me!

2EachHisOwn!

If you own an LX and love it.....thats all that matters!

Old 03-18-05, 10:04 AM
98Nav400
Driver

Originally Posted by itsZep
I am biased......but as far as "cool looks" ......to me there is no comparison between the LX and GX.

LX=Dated
GX=HipTodayCool

I know I wouldn't trade my GX for an LX.....buy hey thats just me!

2EachHisOwn!

If you own an LX and love it.....thats all that matters!

I have a GX and love it....That being said; I would trade mine for an LX in a second.

LX= Proportional; Classy
GX= Sportier perhaps, but awkardly tall and narrow. When I see another one driving down the road it looks to me like they are on stilts.

There is a substantial price difference between the GX and LX. Additionally, I find the GX to be adequately powered but still could use more; the LX with its increased size and weight probably wouldn't cut it for me.

I would choose the GX again based on the above two factors weighted heavily towards the price difference.

Again, I do love my
Old 03-18-05, 01:03 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Well, we finally do agree on something. The LX is way underpowered! No vehicle this large should have so few ponies pushing it! In terms of the LX being "dated"...as I said earlier, it's all a matter of opinion. I don't drive vehicles to be "hip". In fact, I think once you're over the age of 35, it's illegal to use such a juvenile word! That said, I still think the "dated" LX is much classier looking than the GX. The bottom line here...They're both great trucks. Hell, most vehicles made by Lexus are as well made as can be. It's just a matter of personal preference. I'm sure Lexus will accomodate your wishes and soon update the LX, and it will remain their flagship vehicle over the GX for many years to come!

John from Boston
Old 03-18-05, 01:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Good review, my cousin bought an 04 LandCruiser cause their was a 10k price difference from the LX, the LX front is much better looking in my opinion, the LC just looks boring, they think it's fast but they came from a 10 year old inline 6 Grand Cherokee.

The power is not their, daily driving is fine with the power it has but highway merging is off, mash the pedal and it does not have the power to jump into the passing lane without slowing down oncoming traffic, I have driven a SC 2001 model and thought it was perfect, I would not say it's a race car but it was a young guys/kid who owned the truck, dual exhaust, SC, several other mods, the truck moved.

I'd love a 2005 LandCruiser, the LX does not justify the price increase, with of course the SC and some other performance upgrades.

Now the GX, it's driving around with an LX powertrain minus the VVTi, all similiar options and people call the LX outdated I like the GX but I'd rather drive a GS4 for the price

To me the GX is just another vehicle, the LX is a status symbol, and of course the LandCruiser, their like AMG cars, you don't see them often and only the select few have them.

I like them all I just view them differently, now I hope the LC/LX is not replaced with a rebadged US built Sequioa
Old 03-18-05, 02:28 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Very well said, Edge! I couldn't agree with your comments more!

John from Boston
Old 03-18-05, 03:19 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

re: I don't drive vehicles to be "hip". In fact, I think once you're over the age of 35, it's illegal to use such a juvenile word!

Oh brother!

Old 03-19-05, 11:28 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02 that I add as the former owner of a '98 LC and the current owner of n '04 LC.

I have been in both the LC and the LX. Mechanical differences (suspension) aside, what sets apart the LX from the LC is the softer leather, the woodtrim interior and the Lexus guages which I still find so cool.

With that said, when looking at the layout, you can't help seeing the similarities.

Even the gathering of the leather is similar on the two, albeit Lexus does use softer hides.

I think with the '03 updates, Toyota allowed the LC to close the gap between the LC and LX. I saw a bigger difference between the two with my '98 which was the first model year of the current design.

From an exterior view, aside from the front grille, the two are almost identical.

If money was no object, would I have bought the LX, absolutely. The increased price gives you a better dealer experience, a better warranty (although these trucks really don't need it), the better suspension, memory seats, and the nice little touches you get having a Lexus.

By the way, regardless of the fact that Lexus tries to differentiate between the LC and LX, I think it's an absolute crime that Toyota doesn't put memory seats in a SUV that stickers for $60K. Especially when Honda Acura offers them in ~$28K vehicles like the TSX. That is my biggest complaint.

Unfortunately money was a factor and since I loved my old LC so much, I "settled" for another LC, and love this as much. I ended up spending about $1,800 for a bumper-bumper warranty that covers me up to 100K miles.

With the same money I paid for the LC, I could have purchased a GX, but the bigger size meant more to me, and quite honestly, once you have driven an LC/LX, you get spoiled. I don't think I will ever own a different SUV.

I truly hope that Toyota doesn't switch the LC/LX to the Sequoia platform. If they do, I may have to keep my LC until the wheels fall off.

A little tangent here, but I asked someone who works for Toyota corporate about the differences between the LC and Sequoia and why would people choose the LC when it's smaller and more expensive (I know what my reasons are, but I was curious). He mentioned that if people are truly looking for size, the Sequoia wins hands down. The LC ride and handling is just different, and we're not even talking LX here. He went on to say that when former LC owners switch to a Sequoia, they almost always are disappointed and many times switch back.

A personal experience. My son plays travel hockey and the parents of one of his teammates were shopping an SUV. THey were torn between the Sequoia and the LC and couldn't justify the price difference. The dealer even gave them a new LC to drive around for a day.

They ended up getting a Sequoia citing the increased space as the biggest reason (to cart around hockey bags). That was 8 months ago, we were talking to them and they expressed they have since regretted their decision. The Sequoia has been fine, but it's just not the same, and the reason why they bought the truck is the reason why the are now sorry, the increased size. It was just much more difficult maneuver.

Back to the topic at hand.

My biggest gripes with my LC is the lack of memory seats. THe engine could be stronger, but it is adequate. Improvements in 0-60 times would be welcome, but the torque is sufficient that I can pull my 21' (5000lb) deckboat without any problems. I would buy another in a heartbeat and would defintely buy an LX, $$$ permitting.

The GX is an impressive vehicle, but I think I'll stick with the LC/LX. I think once you've lived with one for a while you just won't understand.

Last edited by Gohawks63; 03-19-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-19-05, 12:12 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Wow "GoHawks"......... I did not realize how much the Land Cruiser and LX 470 were alike.....those pictures you posted show that clearly.

Glad your happy with your LC!

Good Luck!

Old 03-19-05, 07:07 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Both LX and GX are great SUVs. I have driven both and chose the GX since it's smaller and better powered (for its weight). I would say that LX and Toyota LC looks and feels a lot closer than GX and 4Runner, not that it matters. I personally don't see LX staying around too long, at least in current format.
Old 03-19-05, 08:34 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Thumbs up

re: I personally don't see LX staying around too long, at least in current format.

David do you know how the sales compare of the GX vs. LX?

I must say I agree with you on the LX, I think it needs a cosmetic over-haul.

I am sure it is a wonderful vehicle, but again, I agree it will soon be changing.

Old 03-19-05, 09:46 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itsZep
David do you know how the sales compare of the GX vs. LX?
For 2004:
GX470 = 35,420
LX470 = 9,846
Old 03-19-05, 11:09 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loflin
For 2004:
GX470 = 35,420
LX470 = 9,846

First off the GX is in a different class than the LX and with it's lower price point it will appeal to a larger demographic. The sales figures alone doesn't really justify any argument.

While I don't have the sales figures at hand, I'm sure that the Navigator and Escalade, direct competitors, also outsell the LX. With that said, I challenge any of you to tell me either of those two SUVs are an overall better vehicle.

I personally know of several people who have dumped those vehicles due to the luster wearing off in as little as 50K miles. Friends of ours dumped their Navigator after needing a transmission twice in 70K miles.

A LX stickers for close to $70K? are you expecting vehicles in that price category to sell in the same volume as a vehicle that stickers for almost $20K less? You're comparing apples and oranges.
Old 03-20-05, 12:55 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

re: LX470 = 9,846

wow loflin....... thanks......thats amazing......less than 10K?

I just would of figured that to be a higher figure

Old 03-20-05, 04:34 AM
Enigma869
Driver

I agree with gohawks. Comparing number of vehicles sold between the LX and GX is really a silly argument! Cars that are less expensive almost always outsell their more expensive counterparts. My hunch is that Lexus probably sells more ES models than most of the other models, and I believe the ES is the second lease expensive car Lexus sells.

Also...great picture postings, gohawks! I actually think the big similarity between the LC and LX is definitely the back. I'm not really sure how anyone thinks these two vehicles look the same from the front (aside from the shape). The grills are completely different and the headlights aren't even close to being similar. While that may seem like two "minor" issues, those two issues change the entire look of the vehicle, and for me personally, are the reason I like the look of the LX over the LC or the GX. For the record, I'm not at all putting down the Land Cruiser here! A good friend of mine owned one for 6 long years and absolutely loved it and never had a single problem with it. Let's just be thankful we all have great vehicles that aren't so great on gas!

I also agree that the LX is due for a facelift soon (although I think many of Lexus' vehicles are). I'm not sure Lexus would ever get rid of the LX, as those who own it are fiercely loyal to it. While the sales numbers don't seem overly impressive, I'd be content selling 10K vehicles a year at $70K a pop. I suspect next year will probably bring a newly redesigned LX and that it will continue to be the standard in a luxury SUV. If you read reviews put on all the auto websites and magazines, the only "con" ever even mentioned when associated with the LX is the fact that it's underpowered (a point that I absolutely agree with) and that it's expensive (another point I absolutely agree with). If that's the worse thing that these critics can find wrong with a vehicle, I would say Lexus has done quite well.

John from Boston

Quick Reply: Just so I don't tick off all my GX owner friends...