GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 12:45 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hey Tony.....

You are mixing Apples and Oranges. If you had said that you got a GX loaner with 4300K HIDs, then you would have a true comparison.

There is no doubt, that the 6000K are brighter, but they give 20% less lumens than 4300K.

I do realize, that some folks like the bluish light better. I have 6500K and I like them too, but would rather have the 4300K for more light. At my age, I need all the help I can get.

~ Cap
Gotta go with Cap here. My XD order just arrived 5min ago. It was the 4300k unit, so I am excited. I'm waiting for my fogs to arrive today/tomorrow so that I can get both installs completed at same time. Then pics... pics... pics... Stay tuned... I'd like to take Tony up on his charge and put my 4300k LX next to his 6000k GX and see the color output and brightness level. Should be fun and informative....
Old 01-06-06, 04:06 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default 4300k HID installed

Finally, its done... I got the installs done -

- LOWS --> 4300k H1 HIDs
- HIGHS --> 3500k Sylvania Superstars 9005 ST/2
- FOGS --> Hoen 55W xenonmatch H3

Install was neatly done. Had to drill a hole at the center of the bulb cover to run the wires through to the ballast, otherwise everything was real tight, snug and very well done

Pictures to come.... Here is a teaser (the yellow turn signal/corner light needs to go... need some super bright white on there too, hehehehe)

LOWs and FOGs now bright white instead of the yellow Halogens.
Attached Thumbnails HID Conversions-124_2421.jpg  
Old 01-06-06, 04:13 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default More pics

LOW + HIGH ... daylight shot (night shot coming later)
Attached Thumbnails HID Conversions-lows-highs.jpg  
Old 01-06-06, 04:19 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default FOGs - Silverstar

Fogs with Silvania Silverstars 9005 ST/2
Attached Thumbnails HID Conversions-124_2422.jpg  
Old 01-06-06, 04:22 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default LOWs with 4300k XD kit

just super bright..... Loving it
Attached Thumbnails HID Conversions-124_2424.jpg  
Old 01-06-06, 04:51 PM
batmobl
Rookie

looks really good.
Old 01-09-06, 11:49 AM
lexxtasy
Driver

Question '03 LX470 Question HID???

Hi there,
I am looking into purchasing an '03 LX470 as well... and I was wondering will this retrofit from Xenon Depot... void any warranty?
and also is it possible to have the RX330 xenons completely put into the LX lens?
What about the '06 landcruiser? it probably doesnt have xenons either right?
Old 01-09-06, 01:50 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexxtasy
Hi there,
I am looking into purchasing an '03 LX470 as well... and I was wondering will this retrofit from Xenon Depot... void any warranty?
and also is it possible to have the RX330 xenons completely put into the LX lens?
What about the '06 landcruiser? it probably doesnt have xenons either right?
The HID install does NOT void any warranty.
I don't believe the RX330 lens can fit onto the LX470.
The '06 landcruiser does NOT have HIDs like the LX, its headlight design is mightily different to the LX, and so is the part # for the LOW beam bulb/harness.

If you need more info, send me a PM.
Old 01-12-06, 09:22 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wow

This looks very new and interesting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Old 01-12-06, 10:03 PM
robinzon
Driver

Default Color Temperatures

Not to beat a dead horse on the head yet again but... here are some thoughts...

Well first off I am sure the Xenon Depot kits work wonderfully as the ballasts look indeed to be the Philips Ballasts that both Sylvania and PIAA use in their kits (as well as in OEM ). However, it is quite possible to get similar results with other kits at around $260... while I think $360 is ok for a true PHILIPS 4300k I think that $460 for the 6000k is way too much...

Now I have installed a kit different from Xenon Depot, though in retrospect I would prefer to go with a Philips ballast..... Now a HARNESS issue everyone has been talking about... .that is XD provides a Relay harness which when activated draws power from the Battery and not from the OEM harness... however, just so you guys know that is completely unnecessary (as CAPIRATO will support me I am sure). The total draw from the ballast and bulbs is actually 42Watts which is well below the 55w bulbs everyone has in the vehicle so there will be no worries of melting anything here (I checked and that is EXACTLY how much the Philips ballasts draw as per Sylvania). ...

COLOR... Admittidely I have made a MISTAKE... (both concisously and otherwise after some wavering) of installing an 8000k kit.... BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER... I would probably opt for somehting like a 5000k kit maximum... you WILL LOOSE over 600 lumnes going from 4300 (or rather 4250k ) to 8000k (and a little less for 6000k) even with the highest quality bulb... stick to the 4000s ranges... its BETTER!!! though some might prefer the cold Ice blue look... but the lumens are just not there...

So learn from my mistakes..... what kit you get does make a difference but no so much so as the color/quality of the bulb... many kits sold these days even for $!60 have a decent electronic ballast (if it has ignitesr inside) that will do quite fine ... just make sure you know a bit about what you are getting... AGAIN, I would love to buy from XD but I think the prices are yet a ted bit too high (though 4300k kits are probably worht it). I think if the we got to very low 300s on ALL Colors EVERYONE will buy the kits

Peace
Old 01-13-06, 06:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by robinzon
Now a HARNESS issue everyone has been talking about... .that is XD provides a Relay harness which when activated draws power from the Battery and not from the OEM harness... however, just so you guys know that is completely unnecessary (as CAPIRATO will support me I am sure). The total draw from the ballast and bulbs is actually 42Watts which is well below the 55w bulbs everyone has in the vehicle so there will be no worries of melting anything here (I checked and that is EXACTLY how much the Philips ballasts draw as per Sylvania). ...

Peace
It is not the operating wattage you have to worry about, its the starting wattage, it is much higher than 42 watts.
Old 01-13-06, 08:10 AM
robinzon
Driver

That is not true. The starting wattage has nothing to do with it since its the VOLTAGE not the wattage. Also its the STARTER that is providing the initial voltage spike not the vehicle. Again that is why the components are there, you cannot draw more voltage that is already provided on the line. Imagine a using a 9v bulb on a 3volt battery...
Old 01-13-06, 10:14 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink To robinzon

robinzon, Starter is not the one that gives you voltage!
Starter takes voltage fro battery and start your car!!!
Alternator is charging the battery and alternator the one that giving you Voltage!

Old 01-13-06, 12:20 PM
robinzon
Driver

I am talking about HID STARTER ie IGNITER (NOT the car's Starter)... here is a quarter go buy a CLUE

Originally Posted by ELEX470
robinzon, Starter is not the one that gives you voltage!
Starter takes voltage fro battery and start your car!!!
Alternator is charging the battery and alternator the one that giving you Voltage!

Last edited by robinzon; 01-13-06 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 02:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by robinzon
That is not true. The starting wattage has nothing to do with it since its the VOLTAGE not the wattage. Also its the STARTER that is providing the initial voltage spike not the vehicle. Again that is why the components are there, you cannot draw more voltage that is already provided on the line. Imagine a using a 9v bulb on a 3volt battery...
First of all : watt = Voltage multiply by ampere. So if the voltage goes up then the wattage will go up, thats call Ohm's law. Secondly, you can indeed draw more voltage than provided by the car battery by using a transformer or a ballast in this case, that how a HID lighting system works, That is call Faraday's law . While it is true that it is the starter that provides the starting high voltage, it accomplished this by drawing more current from your battery. If you dont change out the factory wire harness and the relay, that current spike will travel thru your factory wire harness and relay, the factory wire harness and relays are simply not rated for that high of a current. I hope that clears it up.

Quick Reply: HID Conversions