GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 03:05 PM
batmobl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
First of all : watt = Voltage multiply by ampere. So if the voltage goes up then the wattage will go up, thats call Ohm's law. Secondly, you can indeed draw more voltage than provided by the car battery by using a transformer or a ballast in this case, that how a HID lighting system works, That is call Faraday's law . While it is true that it is the starter that provides the starting high voltage, it accomplished this by drawing more current from your battery. If you dont change out the factory wire harness and the relay, that current spike will travel thru your factory wire harness and relay, the factory wire harness and relays are simply not rated for that high of a current. I hope that clears it up.
Reminds me of my college days Good info though nonetheless.
Old 01-13-06, 06:03 PM
robinzon
Driver

Please spare me your physics lessons, since clearly you don't know much about transformers. On a 50v system or less transformer will draw about 2-3 times the wattage marked on the transformer (maximum). A 35watt transformer will draw somewhere around 90 watt max on the line... (again that is assuming a 40-50 volt system... on a 12 volt system its even less ) so do the math. Now the ballast is transistor based its NOT a transformer.. just so that you know. Even it was your logic has nothing to do with this discussion. Look at how much the unit draws BEFORE stepping up the voltage.

Transformers step up the voltages they DO NOT CHANGE POWER!! That is called the LAW OF CONSERVATION OF ENERGY. So apply Ohm's law correctly if the voltage goes up the amperage drops. Transformers DO NOT CHANGE the actual Wattage at the circuit they simply increase the Voltage, THAT IS ALL. Again the ballast is electronic... it can't draw more wattage then is being fed into it. its NOT AN AMPLIFIER.

First of all : watt = Voltage multiply by ampere. So if the voltage goes up then the wattage will go up, thats call Ohm's law. Secondly, you can indeed draw more voltage than provided by the car battery by using a transformer or a ballast in this case, that how a HID lighting system works, That is call Faraday's law . While it is true that it is the starter that provides the starting high voltage, it accomplished this by drawing more current from your battery. If you dont change out the factory wire harness and the relay, that current spike will travel thru your factory wire harness and relay, the factory wire harness and relays are simply not rated for that high of a current. I hope that clears it up.
Old 01-15-06, 09:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by robinzon
Transformers step up the voltages they DO NOT CHANGE POWER!! That is called the LAW OF CONSERVATION OF ENERGY. So apply Ohm's law correctly if the voltage goes up the amperage drops. Transformers DO NOT CHANGE the actual Wattage at the circuit they simply increase the Voltage, THAT IS ALL. Again the ballast is electronic... it can't draw more wattage then is being fed into it. its NOT AN AMPLIFIER.
You are assuming that the incoming current is always the same. On start up the ballast will draw more current than in operation mode. Much like a fluorescent lighting system, it takes more current which is transform to volatge thru a ballast to start up a fluorescent light or HID.
Old 01-15-06, 02:57 PM
loflin
Pole Position

G-man, though you have Ohm's law correct, you mis-understand the concept of starter caps (capacitors, ballast, etc.).

If Voltage goes up, and Wattage stays the same, what does current do? If goes down.

A starter circuit builds the voltage, the current starts at time zero as 0, because at time zero the resistance is infinite. The cap/starter/ballast fires, the super high voltage cause the gas to ionize and form a conducting path. As the conducting path is formed, the resistance lowers, the voltage drops and the current goes up... until it hits the steady state for that circuit. In the ideal case the wattage stays constant.

This is the perfect case. In reality there are some losses and other factors. But the above is still representative.

A good circuit (i.e. purchased components and the installation) need to ensure there are not other factors that would inhibit the above process. Like bad connections (increased resistance to the point where the circuit won't fire or won't end in steady state). Or weak insulation (so that the high voltage induces an ionizing arc outside of the bulb!). Or an undersized ballast (so that a higher voltage is needed to cause the bulb to fire, than the ballast is rated for, ultimately causing failure in the ballast).
Old 01-15-06, 09:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Loflin, Thank you for that explaination. So the only part that needs to be high voltage rated is the wire harness after the ballast.
Old 01-15-06, 10:08 PM
robinzon
Driver

Loflin thank you for calrifying to these people what I have been saying all along....

G-man why post in the first place if you did not know WHAT IN THE WORLD you were talking about until it was explained to you?!? bottom line.. .get decen components (ie BALLAST!!! ) and a good bulb... whether you use a relay or direct connection is entirely up to you... remember if the relay harness is not that great of a quality having one will not do much for you.

Loflin, Thank you for that explaination. So the only part that needs to be high voltage rated is the wire harness after the ballast.
Old 01-15-06, 10:15 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by robinzon
Loflin thank you for calrifying to these people what I have been saying all along....

G-man why post in the first place if you did not know WHAT IN THE WORLD you were talking about until it was explained to you?!? bottom line.. .get decen components (ie BALLAST!!! ) and a good bulb... whether you use a relay or direct connection is entirely up to you... remember if the relay harness is not that great of a quality having one will not do much for you.
robinzon,

What Loflin sad made sense, since thats that is the characteristic of a basic capacitor charging circuit. What you said not only do not make any sense but it is also un-true.
Old 01-16-06, 08:58 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default all good points

Okay so we all have had our electrical engineering lessons for the week - let's keep the discussion civil and do away with the you don't know what you are talking about nonsense. I definitely don't know what I'm talking about at this technical a level, and I'm sure everyone meant well. The points of clarification are noted and welcomed from all sides, so lets move on.

The CL Mods
Old 01-16-06, 11:43 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Loflin, Thank you for that explanation. So the only part that needs to be high voltage rated is the wire harness after the ballast.
G Man, I'm not an expert in HID design or the components. I was trying to explain the difference between high Voltage and high Power (wattage).

By virtue of Ohm's law (plus others) you can "trade" voltage for current, or vice versa, but you can not increase power, without an additional power source input.

In general, and this should apply for HID kits also, the difference between good and not as good, is not so evident on first use. If a supplier supplies garbage that fails out of the box, they won't be in business long (under that business name anyway). But a supplier who supplies almost "too good a deal", probably has components that will work, but are not sized to handle tolerances or "life time".

So my philosophy, is too go with known brands/businesses and use personal reference (like this forum), and stay away from ebay type "stores" that have a great deal and have been in business for all of 6 months or less.
Old 01-28-06, 08:06 PM
jkri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steevr
Not one single oncoming flash with the Xenon Depot kit. I did lower the beam a 1/2 turn on the **** after a month or two....I just wanted a little more light down low. Never had anyone flash their lights at the original factory height either.
Hi I have a 06 gx470 sport package and everyone told me to buy 8000K hid lights from xtralights.com
they are japanese maufacturer and are supposed to be greaat.
Old 01-29-06, 09:56 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkri
Hi I have a 06 gx470 sport package and everyone told me to buy 8000K hid lights from xtralights.com
they are japanese maufacturer and are supposed to be greaat.

I am interested in a hid kit too. let me know how this turns out. Thanks
Old 02-13-06, 03:45 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Default Just bought mine

I read up on all the info in the forum and decided that XenonDepot was the way to go - all name brand, the super slim ballast etc etc - everyone has had a good experience, so I ordered a 4300k kit today for my 06 - I think it is worth the extra $75 over the competition.

I haven't got them yet (obviosly) but to date, xenondepot has been awesome, ordered, couple hours later got the notification that my unit would ship first thing in the morning DHL overnight and I would get it on Wednesday - all that for $25 standar shipping. I will let you know how they install and look, but judging by the feedback all that will go well!

Rob
Old 02-16-06, 07:25 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Got my kit today xenondepot 4300K - put them in, in about an hour and half, really good kit, only disappointment was absolutely no instructions in my kit, but thank goodness for Tony's post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=hid that had a pic of the wiring diagram and instructions. Install is easy, although the helpfull holes Tony mentions are gone in the 06!

I will take it out on the weekend at night and let you know how it looks.

Thanks for all you guys on the Forum, if it wasn't for the forum, I probably would have spent less money on one of the kits that people have issues with and I would have been waiting until tomorrow to get the missing instructions sent to me.

Rob
Old 02-17-06, 07:07 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Originally Posted by rklages
Got my kit today xenondepot 4300K - put them in, in about an hour and half, really good kit, only disappointment was absolutely no instructions in my kit, but thank goodness for Tony's post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=hid that had a pic of the wiring diagram and instructions. Install is easy, although the helpfull holes Tony mentions are gone in the 06!

I will take it out on the weekend at night and let you know how it looks.

Thanks for all you guys on the Forum, if it wasn't for the forum, I probably would have spent less money on one of the kits that people have issues with and I would have been waiting until tomorrow to get the missing instructions sent to me.

Rob
Post some pictures if you get a chance.
Old 02-18-06, 06:44 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default interesting picks

Check the HID link out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...39716661QQrdZ1
Looks good!

Quick Reply: HID Conversions