GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Okay...Here is the GX owner's poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 08:58 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Armrest

Originally Posted by john5519

The LX, just for the center armrest alone!
The Prado has the same armrest as the LX. Has anyone tried to install one on the GX ??

~ Cap
Old 03-26-05, 09:53 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm all for the GX, mainly because it was something new back in jan 03 and i wanted something that would make heads turn!!! lol
Old 03-26-05, 09:59 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

well let's see. I like them both honestly.
I like the updated interior and the exterior curves of the gx, and at the same time i like the more luxurious ride and the offroad capabilities of the lx.
having said that for me it will be a tough choice to decide. however, given the fact that i'm driving an lx right now...i think i've made the choice clear
Old 03-26-05, 10:08 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

well my decision could change if the new LX will look great (hmmm, heard it's coming out next year, ahem ahem,)
Old 03-26-05, 12:42 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Let's just hope that our friends at Lexus do a better job redesigning the LX than they did with the RX. I know the RX is probably the most popular vehicle in Lexus' fleet, but I was not at all impressed with the 2004 models. It looked very much like the old style to my eyes. And yes, I am aware they did make some changes, and even I can tell the difference with the 04's. That said, I just think when an automaker decides it's time for a change, they shouldn't hold back. It should be a more dramatic change, sort of like Ford did with the Mustang and Chevy did with the Corvette. I don't know that I love either new design, but at least it's much different than the old style it replaced.

John from Boston
Old 03-26-05, 01:11 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Let's just hope that our friends at Lexus do a better job redesigning the LX than they did with the RX. I know the RX is probably the most popular vehicle in Lexus' fleet, but I was not at all impressed with the 2004 models. It looked very much like the old style to my eyes. And yes, I am aware they did make some changes, and even I can tell the difference with the 04's. That said, I just think when an automaker decides it's time for a change, they shouldn't hold back. It should be a more dramatic change, sort of like Ford did with the Mustang and Chevy did with the Corvette. I don't know that I love either new design, but at least it's much different than the old style it replaced.

John from Boston

It's a tough call. I read an article several year back that many automakers, especially those high-end ones like Mercedes & BMW try to avoid drastic changes when redesigning a new model. Main reason is that if they did, the previous generation models, especially those towards the end of the run (Like the '05 LC/LX) would drop drastically in residual value.

If you have a noticeable, but not too drastic change, you don't upset current owners, especially those who bought towards the end of the previous gen, while at the same time freshening the new model. Good example is the evolution of the LS400/430. While there is no comparison between the current model, and the first generation model launched in the late 80s, the similarities between the tow models is evident.

The only exception is when you're completely trying to change an image. Good example is the Acura RL. The previous generation had a stodgy, boring image. The new one is a complete redesign in an attempt to break away from what everything the old model represented.

Now before all of you chime in, I realize that the redesigned RL is not groundbreaking, but it's relative when you consider how conservative Honda is with it's designs.
Old 03-26-05, 02:31 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My neighbor picked up a 740 before the bangle version for 40k down from 70k, it was 1 of the few left overs that they wanted to clear out

Sweet car, power is crazy for such a heavy car, I like it but it looks really weird next to a new 1
Old 03-26-05, 02:44 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EDGE2
My neighbor picked up a 740 before the bangle version for 40k down from 70k, it was 1 of the few left overs that they wanted to clear out

Sweet car, power is crazy for such a heavy car, I like it but it looks really weird next to a new 1

REALLY!!! I loved the old version, but that's a perfect example. Gotta imagine there were a lot of pissed of 740 owners.

I definitely would have tried to pick one up for $40K.
Old 03-26-05, 07:53 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
It's a tough call. I read an article several year back that many automakers, especially those high-end ones like Mercedes & BMW try to avoid drastic changes when redesigning a new model. Main reason is that if they did, the previous generation models, especially those towards the end of the run (Like the '05 LC/LX) would drop drastically in residual value.

If you have a noticeable, but not too drastic change, you don't upset current owners, especially those who bought towards the end of the previous gen, while at the same time freshening the new model. Good example is the evolution of the LS400/430. While there is no comparison between the current model, and the first generation model launched in the late 80s, the similarities between the tow models is evident.

The only exception is when you're completely trying to change an image. Good example is the Acura RL. The previous generation had a stodgy, boring image. The new one is a complete redesign in an attempt to break away from what everything the old model represented.

Now before all of you chime in, I realize that the redesigned RL is not groundbreaking, but it's relative when you consider how conservative Honda is with it's designs.

judging those two different generations, I really don't know how they could make the LS430 look even better (heck the LS400 looked great enough for me back then)
Old 03-27-05, 10:00 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

As a GX owner here, I will be honest with you, I like the LX look better, but it's too pricey for me and still does not have the upgraded V8 engine my GX has.

As much as I love my GX, there is just something about this vehicle's look at a certain angle at times that makes it look awkward, maybe it just looks too tall or the rims aren't aggressive enough?

The LX is beautiful (exterior and interior wise), but again too expensive for me and too little power with the existing V8. I also think that I will not be able to fit the LX in my garage!

Also the LX is big ballin!
Old 03-28-05, 08:19 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

GoHawks63 - I guess I should have been more specific. I think the exterior of the LX looks "dated". It looks alot like the old land cruiser from 98. The inside is 100% state of the art Lexus luxury. No complaints there.
Old 03-28-05, 08:49 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bunka
GoHawks63 - I guess I should have been more specific. I think the exterior of the LX looks "dated". It looks alot like the old land cruiser from 98. The inside is 100% state of the art Lexus luxury. No complaints there.
I figured you most likely meant the exterior, but based on that, I would still fall back on my previous post about gradual changes. I agree that the current gen LC/LX look very similar to the previous generation, just as I anticipate the next generation GX will not be a radical redesign of the current model.