GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Special Break-in Oil 5000 miles First Change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 11:11 PM
nyc11370
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Break-in Oil 5000 miles First Change?

My new GX has 1,200 miles, I took it to the dealer
The SA told me the first oil change should be 5,000 miles because it is a special oil for break-in. 1,000 miles is too soon.
Right?
Old 03-26-05, 07:20 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may not be out of the question. Acura claims the same thing. Dealer's will not change the oil until there are 5000 miles on the clock.
Old 03-26-05, 11:27 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Toyota/Lexus does not use any special break in oil, as for changing the oil after the 1st 1000 miles, it's a good way to get the metal shavings out of a new engine but my truck had metal in the oil every oil change, since my last oil change at 25k

The Lexus dealer will tell you BS cause the 1000 mile free service is nothing but a look over and a car wash, they are not being paid to change your oil, if you want it changed do it yourself or wait it out, I doubt the little metal shavings will do anything to the performance or MPG you get, the engine will make it well over 300k, do you plan on keeping it longer then that
Old 03-26-05, 03:30 PM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nyc11370
My new GX has 1,200 miles, I took it to the dealer
The SA told me the first oil change should be 5,000 miles because it is a special oil for break-in. 1,000 miles is too soon.
Right?
Why do car dealers feel they have to B.S. you when you ask a question?

My GX just turned 1000 miles and I am going to change it myself this weekend.
Old 03-27-05, 10:05 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

With my 2005 GX470 purchase, my dealer gave me the first 2 services free.

The 1K service is just a general check (nothing really going on) and then the next service is the real service at 5K miles with the oil change, etc...
Old 03-28-05, 08:54 AM
nyc11370
Rookie

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Toyota/Lexus does not use any special break in oil, as for changing the oil after the 1st 1000 miles, it's a good way to get the metal shavings out of a new engine but my truck had metal in the oil every oil change, since my last oil change at 25k

The Lexus dealer will tell you BS cause the 1000 mile free service is nothing but a look over and a car wash, they are not being paid to change your oil, if you want it changed do it yourself or wait it out, I doubt the little metal shavings will do anything to the performance or MPG you get, the engine will make it well over 300k, do you plan on keeping it longer then that
The dealer said no need to change until 5,000 even after I told them I will pay for it.

I am not starting a frame war here. Please explain why you think the dealer BS. Either the dealer did not want to take my quick cash or Lexus want to fix the engines under warranty due to inproper break-in? or people are too chicken to follow the Lexus maintenance schedule?

Last edited by nyc11370; 03-28-05 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 09:50 AM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

If someone at the Lexus dealer tells you that,” Lexus puts in special break in oil.”
That’s BS!

If someone at the Lexus dealer tells you that, “ Changing your oil too soon will hurt anything but your wallet.”
That’s BS!

Will it help anything to change the oil after the first 1000 miles who knows? But if there are any metal shavings in the oil, that does not help break in. It helps to wear things out sooner.
Old 03-28-05, 10:12 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RAM MAN
If someone at the Lexus dealer tells you that,” Lexus puts in special break in oil.”
That’s BS!

If someone at the Lexus dealer tells you that, “ Changing your oil too soon will hurt anything but your wallet.”
That’s BS!

Will it help anything to change the oil after the first 1000 miles who knows? But if there are any metal shavings in the oil, that does not help break in. It helps to wear things out sooner.
I wouldn't make a blanket statement that it's BS. As I said, Honda/Acura has the same policy and they don't offer any free service or inspection. When I bought my Acura, I wanted to get the oil changed and they were adamant about not doing it before 7,000 miles, and that was with me paying for it.. Why would they refuse the business? I didn't go that long, but I believe I did it at 5,000 miles.

I don't believe metal shavings are as much of an issue today as they were in the past. I just read an article which stated that piston rings today will seat (break-in) with little or no metal wear. In addition, whatever metal shavings there are, are usually caught by the magnetic drain plug.

Again, I'm not saying that Lexus uses a special oil, but I wouldn't make a blanket satement that it's BS.
Old 03-28-05, 10:48 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would make that blanket statement. There is no such thing as a special "break-in" oil. As for their reasons for not wanting to do it even if paid??

Makes no sense, but they have their reasons. Metal shavings of ANY kind in your oil is NOT "ok". Shavings in your oil can be an indicator of possible serious problems! Of course, on a new car you will have some shavings, but those decrease to nearly nil eventually.

Changing your oil can never be bad, it can only be good. It may not be needed, but it absolutely cannot hurt your car.

My feelings on this.......change the oil yourself. Takes all of 30-45 minutes and then you can rest easy that you have removed those metal shavings.
Old 03-28-05, 11:12 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I would make that blanket statement. There is no such thing as a special "break-in" oil. As for their reasons for not wanting to do it even if paid??

Makes no sense, but they have their reasons. Metal shavings of ANY kind in your oil is NOT "ok". Shavings in your oil can be an indicator of possible serious problems! Of course, on a new car you will have some shavings, but those decrease to nearly nil eventually.

Changing your oil can never be bad, it can only be good. It may not be needed, but it absolutely cannot hurt your car.

My feelings on this.......change the oil yourself. Takes all of 30-45 minutes and then you can rest easy that you have removed those metal shavings.
Can't speak for Toyota/Lexus, but I got this from the FAQs on the Acura Owner's Link website.

So are you saying that they're lying?

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

** Edit **

I checked the Toyota site and couldn't find any Q&A. The Lexus site requires that you register, and since I don't have one (I have a Land Cruiser), I can't check there.

Last edited by Gohawks63; 03-28-05 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 12:08 PM
GXPrado
Driver

This thread is a prime example of too little information and too much speculation. There are alot of assumptions taken as fact posted here when looking at your service manual and contacting Lexus would answer your questions with facts.
Old 03-28-05, 01:05 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
Can't speak for Toyota/Lexus, but I got this from the FAQs on the Acura Owner's Link website.

So are you saying that they're lying?

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

** Edit **

I checked the Toyota site and couldn't find any Q&A. The Lexus site requires that you register, and since I don't have one (I have a Land Cruiser), I can't check there.

"Specially formulated" probably means nothing more than lightweight oil. Think logically about the physiological properties of oil and you should come to the conclusion that there couldn't be some "super-secret" formula that allows engines to "wear properly" but then would never be used again! Why?? If it works so good during a break-in period, shouldn't I use it all the time? If it offers such great protection when obviously the tolerences in my engine are much closer, shouldn't I use it when wear patterns form and tolerences have grown? Ah HA!! Have we stumbled onto something?? Tolerences? If they use a light weight oil upon start up, form wear patterns, then change to a heavier weight later........ Why not just change the oil and refill with a lightweight oil??

All I know is that I have been involved in many build ups of relatively Hi-Po domestic engines. While we are discussing a foreign engine here, boiled down, an internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine. We would start up a blown Chevy 400, filled with 10W-30. Run for 500 miles at lower RPM's. Drain and refill to get out the metal shavings. Then change oil again at 2500, then every 3k then on. I'm not saying this is the way it has to be done or that it can't be done different ways or even that it's the best way (there very well may be a better way!).
All I'm saying is to think about the reasoning behind a specific claim and think if it makes sense. To me, this "specially formulated" doo-doo is just that. But you are also entitled to follow their recommendation, just as I am allowed not to.
Old 03-28-05, 02:39 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

as i said in the other forum and what the others said, go for the 1k oil change. anyway, it's necessary for a new engine and it's free!
Old 03-28-05, 02:42 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkorsu
"Specially formulated" probably means nothing more than lightweight oil. Think logically about the physiological properties of oil and you should come to the conclusion that there couldn't be some "super-secret" formula that allows engines to "wear properly" but then would never be used again! Why?? If it works so good during a break-in period, shouldn't I use it all the time? If it offers such great protection when obviously the tolerences in my engine are much closer, shouldn't I use it when wear patterns form and tolerences have grown? Ah HA!! Have we stumbled onto something?? Tolerences? If they use a light weight oil upon start up, form wear patterns, then change to a heavier weight later........ Why not just change the oil and refill with a lightweight oil??
The problems as GXPrado states is that when you use terms like "probably" (i.e. probably a lightweight oil) we make assumptions.

I'm just carrying forward a debate here and not trying to convince you one way or another.

I wouldn't make the assumption that it's "just" a lightweight oil, since engines need different levels of viscosity depending on operating temperature, hence the need for multi-viscosity oils.

If the GX normally calls for a 5w-30 oil (which I think it does), are you assuming that they're running a straight 5 weight oil? or 5W-20? Here we are assuming again.

What happens if a person happens to drive that vehicle through an extreme scenario?

I guess I would ask these questions. Why would a manufacturer "strongly recommend" for you to NOT change the oil sooner? Why risk the potential warranty claims that could arise by the damage that metal shavings could cause? If it was just utilizing a lightweight oil, why not specify that a particular type (or weight) of oil be used for the first 5K miles and then switch to the "regular" oil?

or... the oil may be conventional motor oil with a special additive that was added in the factory that is not widely available on the market.

You just can't say "oil is oil". Honda/Acura also strongly recommends that you use Honda brand ATF fluid due to special additives in that oil. You can argue that their just promoting their product, but I have read several trade rags which have stated that this goes beyond just marketing their own brand.

You mention that you've rebuilt old Chevy engines, so you may be able to relate to my next question.

Why did old Fords require Type-F ATF fluid while GM required Dextron?

Again, you cannot just say, "oil is oil".
Old 03-28-05, 03:08 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
The problems as GXPrado states is that when you use terms like "probably" (i.e. probably a lightweight oil) we make assumptions.

I'm just carrying forward a debate here and not trying to convince you one way or another.

I wouldn't make the assumption that it's "just" a lightweight oil, since engines need different levels of viscosity depending on operating temperature, hence the need for multi-viscosity oils.

If the GX normally calls for a 5w-30 oil (which I think it does), are you assuming that they're running a straight 5 weight oil? or 5W-20? Here we are assuming again.

What happens if a person happens to drive that vehicle through an extreme scenario?

I guess I would ask these questions. Why would a manufacturer "strongly recommend" for you to NOT change the oil sooner? Why risk the potential warranty claims that could arise by the damage that metal shavings could cause? If it was just utilizing a lightweight oil, why not specify that a particular type (or weight) of oil be used for the first 5K miles and then switch to the "regular" oil?

or... the oil may be conventional motor oil with a special additive that was added in the factory that is not widely available on the market.

You just can't say "oil is oil". Honda/Acura also strongly recommends that you use Honda brand ATF fluid due to special additives in that oil. You can argue that their just promoting their product, but I have read several trade rags which have stated that this goes beyond just marketing their own brand.

You mention that you've rebuilt old Chevy engines, so you may be able to relate to my next question.

Why did old Fords require Type-F ATF fluid while GM required Dextron?

Again, you cannot just say, "oil is oil".

Well, you answered you r question with your question. While ATF is a lubricant it is NOT motor oil. 2 different animals. Regardless, it's all good my friend. I'm not trying to convince you and you are not trying to convince me. You posted, I commented. Simple debate/discussion. Myself, I just have a hard time believing the manufacturer claim that there is this "hidden" cache of top double secret probation oil stored away in Fort Knox or some such! But, I may always be wrong. Lord knows I've been wrong about things before.......at least that's what my wife likes to tell me .

Back to the ATF. The difference is in the additives, BUT the big difference is that the ATF is used to lubricate rubber belts, not metal on metal friction. While there is metal on metal inside an auto trans, the additives are formulated different due to differences in belts and synchros.

I will footnote this by saying that I am in no way an expert on trannys. This is just the way I understood it and for all I know Chocolate Milk will work inside them!

Quick Reply: Special Break-in Oil 5000 miles First Change?