GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX owner - a few disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 07:51 AM
alien99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool GX owner - a few disappointment

I like my '05 GX470. I like the way it feels on the road. I also like the bold exterior look it presents, however I am disappointed:

1. It's now 2005. MP3 is almost an old technology, yet the GX does not have this feature.
2. CD changer in the glove compartment; they need to move this
3. Coin holder, everyone needs this, especially if you live in NY. GX does not have this.
4. The look and feel of the middle section is NOT contemporary. Imagine the interior without the wood facelift, it'd look like a 1990 car with all those big buttons.

This is just my opinion. I understand there are aftermarket products, but why pay 50-60K for a luxury car and have to add so many other items.

Would I buy the GX again, probably not... not until they upgrade the car.

Alien99
** I miss my G35 **
Old 04-09-05, 08:38 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And you didn't notice any of this BEFORE you bought it?
Old 04-09-05, 10:24 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX and disappointment

Originally Posted by alien99
I like my '05 GX470. I like the way it feels on the road. I also like the bold exterior look it presents, however I am disappointed:

1. It's now 2005. MP3 is almost an old technology, yet the GX does not have this feature.
3. Coin holder, everyone needs this, especially if you live in NY. GX does not have this.
4. The look and feel of the middle section is NOT contemporary. Imagine the interior without the wood facelift, it'd look like a 1990 car with all those big buttons.

This is just my opinion. I understand there are aftermarket products, but why pay 50-60K for a luxury car and have to add so many other items.

Alien99
** I miss my G35 **
1) Nothing major has changed on the GX since it's intro 2003 - least of all they'd change the sound system...due to difficulties of integrating/reengineering with Nav/Levinson...too much to change for too little demand, for too little useful life on this model generation.

2) CD changer is fine right where it is - would you rather the 6 cd in dash setup loading 1 at a time - I don't think so...I can totally reach mine from the driver's seat (even whil driving) to swap out the magazine...where were you thinking they should put it?

3) Coin holder in NY - I'm guessing you mean for parking meters otherwise I'd suggest an EZ Pass, that's older technology than an MP3 player.

4) What would be more contemporary - more buttons? something more distracting like an i-drive setup? Lexus does things in a very purposeful way, I agree with Randy, these are all things that (if like you say) would cause you not to buy the GX again...you should've looked harder at those features.

Look, I'm not looking to pick on you because believe me, I'm not going out and getting another GX either, but if this little stuff disappoints you to the point you don't like the truck, than you really did a poor job of shopping. You also say you miss your G35 - are you sure it's not just a little case of spring fever too...I know I drop my GX in a second when the weather gets nice and I start driving my GS again.
Old 04-09-05, 03:57 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation I have to disagree with you.....

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo

2) CD changer is fine right where it is - would you rather the 6 cd in dash setup loading 1 at a time - I don't think so...I can totally reach mine from the driver's seat (even whil driving) to swap out the magazine...where were you thinking they should put it?
.......on #2 (CD Changer location) .....I'm totally SHOCKED BEYOND BELIEF that they stil have this ancient design continuing on a new model!!!!! ......FYI, have you looked at EVERY NEW VEHICLE available on the market today, which comes with a CD changer, INCLUDING LEXUS'S OWN FLAGSHIP LS 430???????? ....virtually all of them have a 6-disc IN-DASH CD changer which "swallows" a disc one at a time located right in the center of the dash where the audio controls are....and not completely out of reach in the glove compartment!! ....and not that silly old ancient "cartridge system"

.....and I'm sorry, this glovebox located changer is a VERY BIG PAIN IN THE YOU-KNOW-WHAT!!!! ....trust me, I have this setup in my LS and it's one of the few things that I TOTALLY dislike about my LS (actually, that and the HORRENDOUS cupholders are THE ONLY things I dislike about my LS, the rest of the car is UNBELIEVABLY FANTASTIC!!!! )

.....However, I'll agree with you that this one reason, by itself, would not be something that would keep me from buying the GX.....but for a company that claims "The relentless pursuit of perfection" the bar is set that much higher!!! ....it boggles my mind because they seemed to have taken care of this issue in the LS 430 which was introduced a whole 2 years before the GX came out!!

Last edited by vicpai; 04-09-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-09-05, 08:04 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vicpai
.......on #2 (CD Changer location) .....I'm totally SHOCKED BEYOND BELIEF that they stil have this ancient design continuing on a new model!!!!! ......FYI, have you looked at EVERY NEW VEHICLE available on the market today, which comes with a CD changer, INCLUDING LEXUS'S OWN FLAGSHIP LS 430???????? ....virtually all of them have a 6-disc IN-DASH CD changer which "swallows" a disc one at a time located right in the center of the dash where the audio controls are....and not completely out of reach in the glove compartment!! ....and not that silly old ancient "cartridge system"

.....and I'm sorry, this glovebox located changer is a VERY BIG PAIN IN THE YOU-KNOW-WHAT!!!! ....trust me, I have this setup in my LS and it's one of the few things that I TOTALLY dislike about my LS (actually, that and the HORRENDOUS cupholders are THE ONLY things I dislike about my LS, the rest of the car is UNBELIEVABLY FANTASTIC!!!! )

.....However, I'll agree with you that this one reason, by itself, would not be something that would keep me from buying the GX.....but for a company that claims "The relentless pursuit of perfection" the bar is set that much higher!!! ....it boggles my mind because they seemed to have taken care of this issue in the LS 430 which was introduced a whole 2 years before the GX came out!!
To each his own. I like the GX cartridge better than the six CD changer in the middle of the dash on the ES330. To be honest, I would say the LS dash/layout is very dated. I sat in the LS and a new GS while waiting for my truck to get serviced last week. Then again, that's only my opinion and not necessarily fact.
Old 04-09-05, 09:56 PM
Donger
Driver

Take a look at a 2005 BMW X5 - the CD changer is still in the rear of the truck tucked in a cubby in the cargo area. I'll take a changer in the glove box any day!
Old 04-10-05, 05:52 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default CD Changer

Originally Posted by vicpai

This may be so, but I personally wouldn't want to carry around a bunch of CD's without the protective case or some other protective sleeve for them - the in-dash design lends it self to advocating laziness which in my opinion will lead to scratched cd's. That even with today's cheap technology to burn backups for "disposable" use is not an effective use of technology. Keep in the cartridge they can't get scratched...you have to make a conscious decision to change them and not just have thme lying about in the car to get destroyed. Just my opinion, but I'm sure others feel the same way.
Old 04-10-05, 10:24 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I do agree that the shifter is too long and seems outdated. Even the GX's sister (Toyota 4Runner) has the short shifter that looks very nice.
Old 04-11-05, 05:53 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally prefer an in dash "one at a time" CD changer.

my GX has the in dash 6 disc changer........it's ok......but wouldnt be my choice

before i bought my new GX, I had a Jeep Cherokee, and it had the in dash, "one at a time" CD player.

i am a very impulsive music listener.......

how many people plan out their music listening six discs in advance?

i may like one song on a disc and then change moods to a different one song CD......i hate that delay time involved in a multi disc player.

the "one at a time" CD changer....is quicker to operate.......just depress eject...and it pops out immediately.......no waiting 5-10 seonds for the system to rotate.....ect......

oh well......you cant have everything!
Old 04-11-05, 09:16 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Wink He has a point......

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
1) Nothing major has changed on the GX since it's intro 2003 - least of all they'd change the sound system...due to difficulties of integrating/reengineering with Nav/Levinson...too much to change for too little demand, for too little useful life on this model generation.

3) Coin holder in NY - I'm guessing you mean for parking meters otherwise I'd suggest an EZ Pass, that's older technology than an MP3 player.

4) What would be more contemporary - more buttons? something more distracting like an i-drive setup? Lexus does things in a very purposeful way, I agree with Randy, these are all things that (if like you say) would cause you not to buy the GX again...you should've looked harder at those features.

Look, I'm not looking to pick on you because believe me, I'm not going out and getting another GX either, but if this little stuff disappoints you to the point you don't like the truck, than you really did a poor job of shopping. You also say you miss your G35 - are you sure it's not just a little case of spring fever too...I know I drop my GX in a second when the weather gets nice and I start driving my GS again.
I agree that most of Alien99's observations should have been apparent at purchase time. But, sometimes it takes a little use of the functions, over a period of time, that you realize how lame they are in implentation.
I for one, don't mind the CD change in the glove box. But, obviously some other manufactures have realized, and adapted, the use of Ipod's. Lexus, is just a bit slower to understand a portion of a demographic that might purchase the truck. And trust me, if they have not adapted such a use. I would certainly be considered in a future purchase. It is not just because it is "ipod" integration use. But a company that understands advances in technology. I think even the new Nissan and Accura vehicles are integrating "real time traffic" mapping in their new line. For a luxury car that defines itself as "state of the art" ... they really aren't. But, they are a few years behind.
A coin holder is a convenience, in ANY urban setting. Thank goodness I don't smoke. Or, else I would lose my coin tray.
I agree also in that the button layout is LAME. First of all, could they possibly not use the most simple type of contact switch known in the manufacturing world. Buttons that feel solid and have excellent tactile feedback when integraged, is a pure statement of luxury. This is another of those items which I think Lexus lacks behind its' European counterparts. Similar to why some people think that an expensive suit made of ultra fine fabric, is not the same "type" of suit you buy at a "men's" warehouse. Snobbish, but still a viewpoint.
But, would I buy this truck again on all of its' other merits. Probably so ... unless something better came along ... but isn't that always the dream.

Last edited by ADVocate; 04-11-05 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-11-05, 02:16 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Alien99
** I miss my G35 **
I also have an '05 GX470 (for about 1 week so far) and in response:

1. It would be nice to have MP3 but I'm OK w/o it.
2. A CD Changer in the dash might be easier reach wise, but the one in the glove compartment is OK for me because I recorded several of my favorite songs on multiple CD's and just set the CD to random play. I can reach the cartridge while driving but have to first remove the seat belt which is a no-no here in NY.
3. A coin holder on the bottom left drivers side dash is preferred, but I'm a non-smoker who can use the ash tray to hold coins.
4. I don't know what you would like the middle section to look like but I have no problem with it.

The one little thing that annoys me is the fact that there's no coat hooks in the car (I have the 3rd row seat and learned from this board that coat hooks are available only in GX's w/o the 3rd row seat). I wear a suit every day to work and it would be nice to hang my suit jacket on a hook right behind the drivers seat like my wife has in her RX. I tried little hangers but it looks lame! Really need the same color hooks that clip onto the rear grip handles . Anyone know where I can order them or pick some up ? Tx!

>>>LexusBob<<<
Old 04-11-05, 05:38 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

First and foremost, most people that have the 6 CD cart setup don't actually purchase additional ones to swap out, which means that they have to take out their cart and manually swap out each one, while they're driving! You're telling me you'd rather do that than have a 6 CD in dash player?! If you're so worried about CDs getting scratched, hey how 'bout buying a CD holder to put them in! The comment about "the in-dash design lends it self to advocating laziness" was hilarious, I guess any new technolgy would lead to it also, right? So, if the GX came out with an in-dash next year you wouldn't want it because of that? C'mon, the fact that it doesn't have it you guys are trying to justify that it wouldn't be nice to have, that it's better without it even though almost every other car now has it?? Sit in an RX330 and then get in a GX, the styling is last gen, just like the LX, it's definitely due for a makeover, in light of the new direction that Lexus is going in. I bet you're also glad that they didn't go with HID either
Old 04-11-05, 06:32 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Disappointment

Originally Posted by LexusPride
First and foremost, most people that have the 6 CD cart setup don't actually purchase additional ones to swap out, which means that they have to take out their cart and manually swap out each one, while they're driving! You're telling me you'd rather do that than have a 6 CD in dash player?! If you're so worried about CDs getting scratched, hey how 'bout buying a CD holder to put them in! The comment about "the in-dash design lends it self to advocating laziness" was hilarious, I guess any new technolgy would lead to it also, right? So, if the GX came out with an in-dash next year you wouldn't want it because of that? C'mon, the fact that it doesn't have it you guys are trying to justify that it wouldn't be nice to have, that it's better without it even though almost every other car now has it?? Sit in an RX330 and then get in a GX, the styling is last gen, just like the LX, it's definitely due for a makeover, in light of the new direction that Lexus is going in. I bet you're also glad that they didn't go with HID either
I have 2 extra mags for my GX and 3 extra mags for my GS - and yes I'd much rather have the CD's tucked in the glove box - out of harms way...if you really must know I think they could do away with the casette option and change it to Mini DIsc - then you don't have to worry about tossing them around the inside of the car as much as you do cd. I wouldn't necessarily call the 6 disc in dash new technology - Nakamichi had this years ago with their music bank system CD players and they were constantly getting jammed. I don't even like the single disc in dash option - and I don't like having to get some bulky Kmart looking cd carrier to put n my car or attach to my visor. Would it keep me from buying the car No, but would it make me think twice about the stereo options Yes (including aftermarket) - As for RX I have one of those too and I have been able to do the side by side comparison - I'll take the glove box changer thanks.

As for the styling, is the GX due for a change - yeah I'd say almost from day one - ever notice how much it looks like an Envoy?

As for the HID's I've always wanted the HID's in the GX and can't stand the Lexus is compromising our safety for the sake of oncoming drivers...not just with the HID's, but with all of their lights - ever notice the cutoff pattern at the driver's side - that's a Japanese thing - none of the other manufacturer's do it - why? to be considerate of oncoming drivers - you know what - what about me the guy who PAID for the car how about being considerate of me and letting me see as far as allowable in dark windy road conditions?
Old 04-12-05, 07:00 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alien99
** I miss my G35 **
You've identified only four items as shortcomings on the GX; most of which I would consider "wants" or "nice to haves" on a vehicle. However, I think you would admit that the GX responds quite nicely to a lot of the "needs" that buyers of luxury SUVs require. I would assume that you purchased your GX for this reason as well. Basically, there is no such thing as the perfect vehicle (well, maybe the bicycle is a perfect vehicle), since each of us requires different things from them. The GX does provide a well-stocked platform from which to customize to one's tastes or preferences. Our's is an `04; we have an iPod adapter that we've used only a few times because we enjoy the Mark Levinson sound system; we like the CD changer in the glove-box; because we're not smokers, we use the ash-tray to hold loose change (it holds a lot!); and while I would agree with you about the look of the center console not being very Lexus-like or up-to-date with those of other "luxury" vehicles, it doesn't detract from our appreciation of the vehicle. Other things we like about the GX include the navigation system, the power, the AWD, the back-up camera, and the firmness and smoothness of the ride (damn thing rides better than my `04 SC!). All-in-all, if someone is in the market for a luxury SUV, I think the GX leads in its class.
Old 04-12-05, 12:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

1. It would be nice to have mp3, hence which leads to #2.
2. Cd changer is fine in the glove, but I would like to have at least a single feed in-dash like the old QX4, especially being mp3
3. Yes, need coin colder, so the ash tray is the coin holder.
4. I don't know how different the middle section can be, except they shouldn't recess the openings too much, instead add more slots/and pockets

Overall, I love my GX. Maybe Lexus can give us more trunk space for the new models
Attached Thumbnails GX owner - a few disappointment-gx.jpg  

Quick Reply: GX owner - a few disappointment